• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil blow by problem

Red90Laredo-

Have you had a chance to test out the filter on top of your valve cover yet? I'm curious how its worked out for you.

Red90Laredo-

Have you had a chance to test out the filter on top of your valve cover yet? I'm curious how its worked out for you.

not sure how his worked out, but I did exactly the same back when I got mine-- it belched the same amount of puke-- just all over the V.C. instead of the air filter. I'm still tempted to install a check valve in that line to allow air in only. Lately, I've been cleaning the CCV orifice every time I'm under the hood and it always seems better for a while..... Damn previous owner NEVER changed the oil

This is the most frustrating issue I've had on my XJ. I replaced the motor because of low compression numbers and blowby. First highway trip with the new/used motor...same problem. I now think its a vacuum problem, but I've replaced the entire CCV system and still have this issue. Either something else is going on or I got a bum 2nd motor. I think I will be trying the catch can idea, but I hate adding more junk under the hood. There's already enough crap under there. I'm intrigued by the check valve idea. Has anyone done that before with success? Searched around on the internet...anyone heard of this?

http://www.misterfixit.com/envalve.htm

jeeze- he's around the corner from you in Chandler-- see if you can swing bye and try it out.... I'll be in Sun City West tomorrow- lemme know how it works, maybe I'll pick one up too!

Where did you see his address? I'm a little concerned that he state his valve is a direct replacement for a PVC valve and I have and '88 which doesn't have a PCV valve but a CCV gromet. I'll contact him tomorrow and see what he says.

envalve.jpg

Just talked to the guy. Real nice guy. He said if I bring my XJ in he'd even help install it...$40. I guess on the Renix motors it replaces the CCV gromet (newer motors it replaces the PCV valve) and the kit comes with a plug that plugs up the breather line to the air box. I'm going to get one this week during lunch and give it a test drive this weekend on the highway and I will report back.

One of the reasons you suck oil into the filter is from a crudded up motor, the oil can't return fast enough to the crankcase and the oil level in the valve cover rises higher than normal, you pump more oil at higher rpm's. The result is the oil reaches the bottom of those CCV lines and gets sucked up. One thing you can do is shorten the CCV 'pickup' tubes to get them up and out of the oil. The other solution is to clean the inside of the engine to open up the return galleys where the oil runs back into the oil pan. You can clean a lot out of the top of the head with a shop vac and plastic scraper, just keep the shopvac nozzle and scraper together to keep from breaking loose any pieces, you don't want them falling down and blocking the returns. The other slower way is to use a couple of quarts of a good synthetic oil, that will gradually get into the sludge and start to dissolve it. A harder but faster way is to drop the oil pan and clean the returns out with a good heavy duty solvent and some long thin brushes.

I got my VC put back on last night. I am working on this truck trying to get it road worthy, and it's not plated yet. That said, I ran it for about a half an hour last night after I had refilled the cooling system. (no more instant overheating, woot!) Then I drove it over a small hill in my yard a few times.

I am getting a couple little puffs of smoke out of the filter I installed here and there. So far no oil has come out of it. I have yet to reconnect the small vac line at the back though, I have to get to the store and get some brake line to put in place of the old clogged one.

If you are having issuues with this stuff, pull that grommet out with the small hose in it. I guarantee it's clogged. Think about it- the line is smaller than fish tank tubing. Lil blob of oil gunk is all it takes.

just went out and started it up again. Drove it around the yard and made sure to get the RPMs up there a few times. Still no oil coming out of that filter I installed. Ran the truck for about a half hour again.

I can drive around town all day long with no problems. It's only on the highway and climbing grades. I regularly check the CCV gromet. I need to take off my oil pan because of a few broke bolt heads so when I do that, which is soon, I will takes Rich's suggestion and clean the returns out. I'm still trying the EnValve. Too cheap not to.

You put a new engine in the past week and still have this issue?

What you describe is classic worn engine. If the CCV tubing is clean and everything is tight enough to maintain a slight vacuum (dipstick sealed, oil cap tight, etc.) - and it still does this on the highway, your engine is worn out.

I did this mod a while back for a Blow By problem and it solved it for several months. That was until I had to pull my air box to install some eyelets for my Disco's. This mainly a bandaid for the problem. I know my engine has a lot of Crud so when I have time I am gonna takes Rich's(nice new avatar by the way) advice.

Here is a pic, since everyone loves pics!

DSC03110.jpg

Thanks for the post Jeff. If this EnValve doesn't work then I will try the VC swap.

XJXJ - I replaced the motor about 2 years ago, but the first test run the blowby was in the airbox and down the frame. I've dealt with it ever since, but I'm sick of the driver side always being a mess, even after wiping it down. I just welded on frame stiffeners and almost burned my heep up on the drivers side...the oil kept catching on fire. Plus I have to replace a quart of oil after every wheeling trip.

I work in the housing industry so as long as the market is in the tank I need a bandaid fix until I can get a new motor.

Maybe I should just rig a hose up that takes the oil right back into the top of the motor when it gets sucked out???

Anyone tried any of the motor flush they sell at auto parts stores? Ive used it before on honda VTEC systems when the oil lines going to the VTEC controller were clogged and it seemed to work fixing that problem. Could work for cleaning out the oil passages??

From all of the motor people I've resently talked to about this issue they say all the flush products aren't that great. I know a lot of guys have used seafoam and other cleaners but I'm not sure how well they really work. A lot of the motor heads say take the motor apart and fix the problem instead of a wonder fix. I dunno.

Back