• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Off-Road Trailers

Keep your eyes out, some of these trailers appear to be made out of gold.

Some of them you get for free from little old ladies in the desert. ;)

True that.

Last year while chasing for the Vegas to Reno race, I passed what appeared to be a junk yard out in the middle of nowhere.

It had to have been a couple of acres, right next to the highway. As I drove past I saw probably 10-15 small trailers in all different configurations. I'm sure they could have been had for a song. But I was too busy to stop and inquire.

So I have been bitten by the trailer bug and have been looking...

Unbelievable!

soo i have just re read this whole thread i remember when it started and this is where i got the ideas, here and ih8mud to build my trailer .. the day i brought it home
IMG_1119.jpg

IMG_3450.jpg

IMG_3453.jpg

IMG_2721.jpg

overland xj asked me to do a build thread over here so in the next few days i will try a condensend version if you peeps are interested...

stumpxj you got skills man.. love your kitchen i have been wanting to copy it for a while but . then i still have not settled on it .. portable like yours or built in? i dont know.. I DONT KNOWWWWW now that you have a trailer what are your thoughts on the kitchen thing..

Bryan, good to se you here. Your M101CDN is a favorite of mine, of course we want to see the build thread. Lookin forward to seeing it in camp...

I'm thinking I want to build an offroad teardrop trailer.

With two kids and a dog we don't all fit in a tent on the roof. With a teardrop I can put the kids in the trailer and us in the tent on the roof.

I have seen a few of them. The Sawtooth XL trailer on Expo is a favorite but probably too elaborate for my skill level. Have any of you run across any builds that were a little less intensive?

Bryan, thanks! Thats a sweet 101 you have as well!

I am at a stalemate with the kitchen thing. I do love my little kitchen, it works perfectly for me. I honestly dont think I have any reason to incorporate it permanently into the trailer at this point. If I did do a permanent trailer kitchen, it would be much different that what I have now simply because it would be integrated. If I didnt already have the portable kitchen made, I might reconsider that but...

Also, with my trailer set-up, I can remove 6 bolts on the front hinge, remove the two struts and two people can lift the lid and tent off of the trailer to give me a perfectly 'normal' heavy duty open utility trailer to use for whatever I want or need. Hauling mulch, rocks, wood, lawnmowers etc etc. I couldnt do that too easily with an integrated kitchen (at least thats what I keep telling my self... )

I also like having the kitchen portable because I can just throw it in the back of my jeep, or my wifes jeep if we are just doing a day trip/cook out sort of thing.

Those are my justifications anyway... :D

I think an offroad Tear Drop is my next trailer build. Just makes too much since for what my wife and I do. I like kicking back and watching a movie after eating a nice camping meal before heading to bed... I can (and do)do that with the RTT, but not quite as easily as I could with a Tear Drop. :)

yeah... im not 100% either, but I do like my little kitchen. Whatever I built would have to be significantly better/more efficient/lighter/easier etc. And I cant think of how to make that happen yet. :D

~ Stump

Hey Stump,

I see you tore down your enclosed trailer. Up here, a regular 5x8 trailer sells for $500-$700. An enclosed like that would sell for at least twice as much.

Yeah, the value of my enclosed trailer was around 800 bucks in this area, like I mention in my build thread. Trailers have gotten very cheap in the past couple of years. My trailer is also 12 years old, and had a rotten section in the old wood floor. I would have been lucky to get 600-800 bucks. Its worth a LOT more to me now, and I only have invested my time and about 600 dollars in materials. And I saved money, time and hassle by not having to build a frame, and get it registered. Trust me, after much deliberation and planning, this was the best solution for my particular situation. :D

Delrin....

:D

Truthfully, plastics that would work are pretty heavy in those sizes. The front door on my kitchen is cutting board material, since I use it as a cutting board, and that sucker is heavy.

Maybe some sort of FRP, or laminated/core stuff.

~ James

I havent posted any of these on this thread yet so here you go. I have most of them over on portal, but hopefully we can get this thread with more participants.

IMG_8599.jpg

IMG_8686.jpg

IMG_8776.jpg

geostash2009020.jpg

geostash2009106.jpg

Photos from Dr. Moab
Sunsetincamp.jpg

thats a cool trailer xjbanker .. if you could get me a loan maybe i could get my own conquerer.. ok maybe not , but how bout some adv.?. i have been throwing around several ideas for a kitchen/chuck box/ whatever? and i was wondering about your set up? i like the idea of the dishes and cups and stuff packed in the foam.. im sure it works really really well, but to me it seems like, although it offers lots of protection it also takes up alot of space ,and space is precious.. more so on my m101 .. can you tell me how it is working for you? any issues ? anything that you would do differently on that set up ? the first season on my trailer i used it as you see it.. and i was kinda hoping the trailer would tell me what it needed next.. know what i mean ?

I have mixed feelings on the kitchen. I love the height and the holder for the utensils, but I am not as fond of the foam holders. I like that it holds the gear in tight and the dishes don’t get rattled around, but It sucks to get stuff out when your fingers are cold. Also I think that it takes up a lot of space that could hold more dishes, but then again there are not many other dishes that I can think that I would want to take with me. I have started to use a table to cook on because I don’t like it when my stove sprays grease all over the trailer so I am using that area more for prepping the food before cooking. I have thought of getting rid of the foam and installing a hot water heater in that spot, but I cannot decide if that is what I want to do or not. I really like your trailer. I wish I would have talked to you last year, I was up in Niagara Falls last year to visit friends. ( I lived in Toronto for 2 years) I would have loved to see your trailer in person. So I have decided that you should just come exploring here so I don’t have to make the drive with two kids.

Back