• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Off-Road Trailers

good answer .. i am really torn with what i want vs. what i need in a kitchen . i always say keep it simple.. but get kinda jealous of the fancy setups.. and some times the fancy ones just dont work.... i really like stumps kitchen. but its heavy and maybe a little awkward to set up when its full ?? i tempted to just buy a plastic molded table with adj legs and be done with it everything else will go into the tote.. simple effective and cheap..

and you shoulda told me you coming to the falls it would have been great to meet you.

i am coming to utah.. i am coming to utah.. i am coming to utah..

i will be there in september..

Mine was a little awkward at first, but i've managed to get it set-up pretty easily by myself, and its a breeze with another person. I have never weighed it, but I would say fully loaded (it stays that way) its probably around 40-50 pounds. I can lift it fairly easily, its just physically large. The birch wood I used is fairly light.

The way I unload it is simple, I slide the kitchen out about 3/4 of the way with one end resting on the trailer. I then lower one set of legs and lock into position. The kitchen is then slid out until the last 2 inches or so of the kitchen in on the trailer, and I fold down that set of legs. Once you have them both down, its just a matter of moving it another few inches to get it off the trailer. Then its easy to bear hug and move it where ever I want it ( I am also 6'2" @ 300 lbs). I do the same procedure on the rear bu,per of the XJ if we arent using the trailer.

I am not sure if or how to get it much lighter without compromising strength (unless we are talking carbon fiber or something...), but I am sure it could be done.

I will say this, it sure is nice having it fully loaded with the necessities and ready to go at a moments notice (like Zombie attacks..). I have also seen the Conqueror set-up personally ( a local friend has one) and the foam holder stuff is nice when we are flying down rough roads. It keeps everything nice and tight. But our kitchens are two totally different set-ups. If I did an integrated kitchen, EVERYTHING would have its own place for sure, just maybe a little different way of doing it to maximize space.

~ Stump

could you make your side panels out of aluminum and save weight?

I dont think so. Aluminum that big is probably the same, if not heavier than the wood of the same size. It would have to be thick enough to be sturdy, probably nothing less than 11 gauge, and preferably 3/16". Birch ply is lightweight stuff compared to other woods.

I think if you are only going to save a pound or two, its hardly worth it on something that weighs 50 pounds. You could probably get more weight savings by what you put in the kitchen as apposed to its construction materials....

good answer .. i am really torn with what i want vs. what i need in a kitchen . i always say keep it simple.. but get kinda jealous of the fancy setups.. and some times the fancy ones just dont work.... i really like stumps kitchen. but its heavy and maybe a little awkward to set up when its full ?? i tempted to just buy a plastic molded table with adj legs and be done with it everything else will go into the tote.. simple effective and cheap..

and you shoulda told me you coming to the falls it would have been great to meet you.

i am coming to utah.. i am coming to utah.. i am coming to utah..

i will be there in september..

Where are you planning on going in Utah and for how long? It would be nice to get together. With little notice the uinta mountains is somewhere I could take you easily but with some planning we could hit southern ut we are planning on hitting the hole in the rock trail the first week of october. how long are you staying for?

Where are you planning on going in Utah and for how long? It would be nice to get together. With little notice the uinta mountains is somewhere I could take you easily but with some planning we could hit southern ut we are planning on hitting the hole in the rock trail the first week of october. how long are you staying for?

OVERLAND XJ is leaving his place sept 3rd and picking me up along the way .. i imagine we will meet up in pensylvainia some place unless i decide to cross over at windsor / detroit.. at this point im not sure..
overland has it all planned out and im just following him.. its a 2 week trip and thats all i really know right now

OVERLAND XJ is leaving his place sept 3rd and picking me up along the way .. i imagine we will meet up in pensylvainia some place unless i decide to cross over at windsor / detroit.. at this point im not sure..
overland has it all planned out and im just following him.. its a 2 week trip and thats all i really know right now

The only thing set in stone right now is the WRT, permit is for the 8th.

A rough itinerary can be found in trip thread. Swampy, this is your trip too... feel free to branch off, suggest areas you'd like to see etc. I know you wanted a visit to Monument Valley? I'd like to see it too..

buddy, where i wheel there is nothing but trees, rocks, mud, more trees, with a bunch of lakes stuck in the middle.. and lots of mosquitoes and black flies..
on this trip , i am more than happy just to follow along, WRT, yes, monument valley, yes, lake powell, yes, i could cruz lake powell for days in my kayak , but that could be saved for another trip.. from the pictures i have seen i am sure i will be blown away .. i am open to any suggestions that you might make,

thats exactly why i built my own.. i didnt wanna buy an adventure just to get shot... what fun would that be?
Have any info on your build? I like the idea of the hard sides, but at the same time the kitchen and everything else is outside and built in. Good for those trips that aren't rock crawling...just off the beaten path. Way smaller than anything I've seen on craiglist for sale and not too small that it requires a Rooftop Tent.

EDIT: I found your build thread...nvm reading now!

Last edited:
Just for the record...

A downside to an M416 is stiff springs, when empty they like to bounce all over the road. As I was driving up a rutted road (3N32 to John Bull) mine pitched completely over onto it's side (I wasn't even going that fast but it hit a series of ruts just right), I was able to throttle it back onto it's wheels with minimal damage though.

Other than that one annoyance the M416 is effing awesome.

At about 1:15 there is a glider just like my great uncle flew in WWII. He was killed in Europe when his glider crash landed...about a month before the war was over.

Nah, that was Friday. Sunday was a lot more conservative. :D

Nice vid but now I gotta learn Spanish. ;)

Fixed. :laugh3:

I had mute set on my speakers when I linked that!

Forgot to post these pics here... I finally got around to putting some paint on this thing about a month ago. Used Dupont epoxy primer, single stage dupont Acrylic Enamel for the white, and rhino liner on all the black stuff including the fender, tongue/box, and inside the tub. I think it turned out pretty sweet for a 'driveway' paint job over a couple days...

Still finishing up the wiring between trip, but its almost 100%. I have camped in it 4 times now, and everything works like a dream. One of the best things I have ever built for sure.

DSCN1800.jpg

DSCN1799.jpg

DSCN1798.jpg

Back