• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oddly optioned xj's

FRAM said:
The 1st owner of my 90XJ Limited never used the cruise control. He asked me what the point of it was.

Did they ever drive more than five miles at a time?

my buddies old full size full size cherokee- wagoneer has a am/fm/cb combo radio...kinda sweet actually all in unit in the dash...i think you can buy them though...anyways it is stock

Re: oddly optioned xj's ????

Purchased new in October 1997; a 1998 XJ SE with Sport badges...
4.0L AX-15, NP 231, heavy duty radiator, Corp 8.25 w/TracLoc & fullsize spare, idiot light instrument cluster (no gauges), AM/FM cassette, factory alarm system w/o power door locks, A/C, tilt steering, cruise control, power mirrors, sun visor with lighted mirrors, rear windshield wiper & defroster, cloth seats & floor carpeting and basic steel wheels w/ 215/75's.

When I went looking for a Cherokee with a manual transmission...; the dealer I purchased the Jeep at didn't even know he had one on the lot..... He said that this package doesn't normally come with these options....

Charles

My 92 id say is odd -

2 door, tow hooks, up country, base model (not laredo, pioneer - just straight cherokee)

4.0, ax-15, 231

roll windows, idiot lights, manual door locks -

but add AC, Cruise Control, and factory PIAA fog lamps, ABS and a tracklock.

Mine came from Hawaii - it was origonaly purchased on the main island and used as a vactaion car.

Here's my latest one: '93 XJ Country with 4.0L, AW4, NV231, full instrumentation and woodgrain package. 8.25 rear axle (told it was 3.73 ratio, but I haven't looked yet) with tow package, "premium sound" AM/FM cassette (that still works good!), alloys with the little round holes in them and plenty of clearance with 235/75R/15s (stock according to the window sticker I found)
But get this: MANUAL crank windows with working no drafts and AC! Those tiny little manual mirrors (rh one torn off, but being replaced with the stock little one from my Comanche) NO rear defog, but it has the wiper! Roof rack looks stronger than I recall my '90 parts XJ's being. NO ABS! (glad of that!) and it has that stupid ATS alarm system that does nothing but cut the power to the starter (like a bad neutral safety switch) if moved even slightly the wrong way!
Seats are also manual (grey cloth with stains, but no tears after 250,000 miles!) and it has a cup holder over the Ebrake (dealer item I think). Typical clear coat peel on the hood. It has working cruise and HD cooling with trans cooler.
I bought it for my wife to drive so we could get rid of her '01 Legacy, but it's going to need a motor soon (it has BAAD piston slap or rod noise that comes and goes but plenty of oil pressure and power) and we had to dump $2400 into the Legacy for a trans (it was damaged when we were hit from behind, but we have to prove it in court!) plus another $1000 for incidentals (hood needs replacing due to a trailer hitch coming tooo close last summer and now it's going to need an alignment and tires since we were hit)
It's heading over to the for sale section for $1200 obo. (The XJ that is. We owe $7,000 still on the leg assy!) along with the short list of stuff I've done already)

Mine came 2WD from the factory, with A/C and the 4.0L. No power locks, no power windows, no vent windows, fixed sideview mirrors (which I've never seen), no rear speakers, AM/FM radio only, no tach, no center console, but ABS and the newer style master cylinder (it was a late model '94).

Since then...it's not 2WD anymore, it has vent windows, folding sideviews, many stereo mods, a full gauge cluster, a center console, and I got rid of the ABS. I like where it is now...good for wheelin, but no 'extras' to worry about crappin out if I swamp it or something.

Then I went and got a 5.9ZJ for my daily driver which has like every option ever created....quite a change. It tows the XJ nicely though. :)

well, I wouldn't say my 87 XJ is oddly optioned, but it was an ordered vehicle, my great uncle picked what options he wanted, and they brought it to the dealership for him. Thing was the first one fell off the train and was damaged, so they ordered him a second one which I now own. Just recently I found the Build sheet for it, I got it laminated but I'll have to try to get it scaned in to post here one of these days.

There is one thing that I've always thought was odd on my 95 Country, its a Country so it has the nicer interior, power everything, etc, but it does not have a rear defrost. Always thought that was kinda strange. No overhead console either.

It also has the chrome package, which is pretty rare on a Jeep that year.

Our latest purchase seems a little odd to me but it looks like there's no real ryhme or reason to it anyways. It's a '93 Country, 4.0/AW4/242/D30/8.25, tilt, cruise, air, pw, and pl all pretty normal for a country. However it has cloth seats (not too uncommon) and no power mirrors (weird since everything else is power), also no lighted vanity mirrors in the visors like my '91 Laredo. It also has the heavy duty tow package but no skids or hooks. BTW unlike some of the other oddball country's listed above this one does have a rear defroster.

tchase said:
Our latest purchase seems a little odd to me but it looks like there's no real ryhme or reason to it anyways. It's a '93 Country, 4.0/AW4/242/D30/8.25, tilt, cruise, air, pw, and pl all pretty normal for a country. However it has cloth seats (not too uncommon) and no power mirrors (weird since everything else is power), also no lighted vanity mirrors in the visors like my '91 Laredo. It also has the heavy duty tow package but no skids or hooks.

That is weird, mine has the fancy lighted mirrors and power mirrors. I also have cloth seats but thats pretty normal. Do you have the rear defrost?

Friend of mine has an '89 Limited with the gold package. Fully loaded, except for three things: donut spare and no seat heaters or overhead console. I can maybe understand the seat heaters, but since he doesn't have a sunroof it seems odd that there's no console. No evidence of one ever having been installed, either.

my 87
rubber floors 5 speed no radio no console factory outise swingawa tire carrier ( the good one) steel wheels
no ac manual windows vents cruise idiiot lights. vinyl

Maybe my setup is odd, maybe not :D

'89 Sport
2 door, 4wd, 4.0 and auto, leather seats, manual windows, door locks, mirrors, rear defrost, premium sound (had a factory Sony casette player, maybe a dealer option), carpeted floor, alloy wheels(hate the recessed lug nuts, stupid tire place strips lugs all the time), skid plates but no tow package nor hooks, no cruise, but the best option of all, the Cupholder.

'96 XJ "Classic" 4.0, AX-15, Donut spare, No skids, no factory tow package (has hitchs now though), carpet, no power locks windows seats or mirrors, no ABS, but it does have cassette, cruise & ac and the 5-star wheels like on a TJ.

87 4.0 242, d44 factory electric brake, rear view mirror is a foot wide, side view mirrors can be used as a spring loaded punching bag. Also came with a sentinial switch that is basically a auto shut off switch for the lights engaging after 45 seconds after vehical is turned off.

My 1990 has a full guage cluster, casette, intermittant wipers, air conditioning

...but...

vinyl floors, vinyl seats, mini console, no tow points at all, no tilt, no cruise, and full skids

1989 Pioneer. AW4, 231. No roof rack, fixed vent windows, manual remote mirrors, power windows, power door locks, rocker recliner seats (remenber those?), cruise control, original tire size 205/75r15.

casm said:
Friend of mine has an '89 Limited with the gold package. Fully loaded, except for three things: donut spare and no seat heaters or overhead console. I can maybe understand the seat heaters, but since he doesn't have a sunroof it seems odd that there's no console. No evidence of one ever having been installed, either.

That one's defineately not alone, identical to our '89, is it Black?

And AtlXJ; yes ours does have the rear defroster, but no rear spoiler.

tchase said:
That one's defineately not alone, identical to our '89, is it Black?

Grey with grey leather. Oh, no ABS either.

Back