• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odd dome light problem

freelancefool

NAXJA Forum User
I know dome lights are something people have a lot of problems with, but I haven't found anything discussing this particular problem. I have a 1999 XJ. I replaced the headliner a few months ago and had no issues until a month or so later. The front dome light does not work when you open any of the doors. The rear dome light works and the map lights work. The dome light worked once when I opened up a rear door about two weeks ago. It does not come on when I turn the light switch counter clockwise. It will turn on when I use the remote to unlock the doors.

I have power at the pink and yellow wires in the roof. I'm at a loss on what to do. Any suggestions?

pink is constant power so the lights work when you open a door. yellow is switched ground through the door jamb switch and the headlight knob, doing anything will provide a ground point for the voltage coming off pink. there will also be a grey (or something) wire that provides a locally switched ground for when you push the button on the light.

yellow should not have voltage on it, except if you are looking at it while the door is open then there will be current. if it has voltage all the time then you've got a short

Last edited:
Sorry about taking forever to reply to this, but I found my problem. The wire corroded where the light wiring harness connects above the fuse block. The yellow wire had broken off and was shorting against pink. Holding it in place allows the dome light to work and I will be repairing the hardness.

Back