• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ocotillo Wells

Well I'd say today was a success. We ended up riding 91.5 miles!

We decided to skip eating breakfast out, but ended up working our way out to Blowsand Hill, Devils Slide, Shell Reef, the Gas Domes, and the Artesian Well. From there, we zig-zagged out to Highway 86 and took the frontage road (under some telephone wires) all the way into Salton City, where we gassed up and grabbed lunch. Then we headed out to the Phone Booth (chickened out b/c we didn't want to make that steep climb so far away from "home"), then went to the Arch (forget its real name) and stumbled across Tetherball Hill. I think we went through part of Truckhaven (am I right? We came to the booth from the south) to get to the phone booth. Next, we checked out the 4x4 Training Area, stopped by the "sea" and headed back to our hotel room.

Jump This - Where is the Blu Inn? We might try to go there tomorrow morning.

Thats a good ride, and yes you did go through Truckhaven.

Matt

That was an epic day of riding!
And 'yes' you did go into Truckhaven (Phone booth, tetherball and the skills course are all in Truckhaven.)
The Blu Inn is right off the main highway there going east, probably five miles or so from where you are camped.
Glad you are getting all that riding in. I'd bet you will be sore tomorrow.
Weather should be perfect too!

Just got back from todays ride. Only managed 79.6 miles, bringing the grand total for our two days here to 171.1 miles.

Once again we ate breakfast in, and started out by trying to ride to the fire hydrant. We thought we would take the scenic route and headed out along Fault Wash road. Took a right onto Cut Across Trail and decided to follow the East Bank wash to the Pumpkin Patch. From there, we "crossed over" and rode through the Tierra Del Sol canyon and back along Tectonic Gorge to the fire hydrant.

Moving on, we grabbed some lunch in Salton City and then headed south along Pole Line Road and followed the Roadrunner Trail home, stopping by Blu Inn (closed on tuesdays) and Iron Door before calling it a day. We didn't end up hitting quite as many "checkpoints" today, but mobbing through the desert was more than enough.

Id like to thank all of you guys for the helpful tips and information, all of the small things made the trip that much better. Ocotillo Wells sure is an awesome place, and you guys are lucky to have it in your back yard.

Now its time to cook up some steak and enjoy some much needed rest before our 500+ mile trek home tomorrow.

:cheers:

-Kevin

that's an awesome amount of riding for a couple days, nice work! i know i'd be pretty spent. glad you had fun.

Back