• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NV4500 how to and what from?

ryurabbit

NAXJA Member #611
Ok decided to get a NV4500. What year and make and models will fit in the Cherokee? What else will be required for the swap. I know its been done. Personally seen hinkleys in his red Cherokee. I dont want :banghead: as much as possible.

First get yourself a AA book on the NV.

Then buy their parts for it to fit, yes dollars are involved but less head banging.

That and a BFH it will fit just fine.

PM later when I'm less intoxicated and I'll give you more ideas. :D

hinkley

Thanx hinkley, Just didn't want to spend that kind of dough. AA probably dont take monopoly money.

Def get one out of a Dodge 4x4, non diesel, 23 spl output. Your 231 will fit up to it if you have a 23 spl 231. Then get the AA bell housing and Centerforce for the clutch. Don't know how the shifter etc will work. Never did one in an XJ.

Good luck.

Steve.

I've had one in my rig for 6 years. I used a 23 spline Dodge version, which is from a 5.9 liter gas 2500 series truck. Bolted right to the 231 with only a longer input snout needed on the 231. (1988 model 231).

I have retained the internmal slave cylinder and the Peugot bellhousing and never had a problems. The adaptor from AA goes between the bellhoising and teh tranny case. The only other thing you need is a cluthc pilot bearing and you are good to go..

Oh, and don't forget your sawz-all and welder to make a new crossmember and cut a nice hole in your tranny tunnel to accomodate the beasty.

CRASH

Thanx guys this info helps alot. That longer mainshaft fits transfer cases up to 96 but all I have is stamp numbers that will be on the tag, no application.
Any Idea what that t/c was in and what options it may of had? Also it was mentioned that the early style mainshafts had 21 splines. If that is true then will 88 np231 mainshaft bolt up or is there somethin I'm missing?

CRASH said:
I've had one in my rig for 6 years. I used a 23 spline Dodge version, which is from a 5.9 liter gas 2500 series truck. Bolted right to the 231 with only a longer input snout needed on the 231. (1988 model 231).

I have retained the internmal slave cylinder and the Peugot bellhousing and never had a problems. The adaptor from AA goes between the bellhoising and teh tranny case. The only other thing you need is a cluthc pilot bearing and you are good to go..

Oh, and don't forget your sawz-all and welder to make a new crossmember and cut a nice hole in your tranny tunnel to accomodate the beasty.

CRASH

Last edited:
Only the early year chevys 94-95? (I think) had the 6.34 1st gear. All later chevys and all dodges came with the 5.6? 1st gear.

Dodge NV4500:
5.6? 1st gear
longer input shaft
23 spline output unless Diesel
tailshaft housing shorter (No balancer on output shaft)
can use an adapter plate with a ax-15 or ba/10 bellhousing

Early Chevy NV4500
6.34 1st gear
non-synchro reverse
requires AA bellhousing if using shorter input shaft
29 and 32 spline output (maybe others too) can buy 231 input shaft to match
tailhousing bolt pattern not exact match for 231J but can easily be modified

Late chevy NV4500
5.6? 1st gear
don't know much else.

Years ago I had a ealy chevy version in a MJ. I didn't modify the tailshaft housing enough, so my 231J hung down real low. I was able to fix that by cutting the whole tunnel out and raising the tranny really really high. Raising the tranny up real high got me better ground clearance then I had with the stock BA10. Unfortunately I had the external slave cylinder with clutch fork up so high that I had a hole right next to the gas pedal to make room for the clutch fork. Even trimming the clutch fork down, it came within 1" of the gas pedal. Sometimes my boots would hang up on the clutch fork when i was bouncing around. I also coundn't properly seal the hole where the clutch fork was intruding into the cabin, and if I was wearing beach shoes I would burn my right foot from the exhaust heat.

When I return to the states, I'm going to do it right with my XJ. My main agenda is to have a flat and flush crossmember with the NV4500 and a properly indexed transfer case. If I have to, I will go with an internal slave cylinder so I don't have an issue with the clutch fork, or I will try the later XJ AX-15 bellhousing with the external slave cylinder and AA adapter plate. and see if that gives me more room.

Good Luck

Personally I am going to leave my NV in my truck and stay with an auto in the XJ. AW4 for now, possibly a Powerglide or Th400 when the AW4 goes.

Anyway, the diesel NV's also have a bigger input (1.25" compared to the 1.125" ) of the gas NV's. I don't know for sure but alot of what I've read says to go with the gas tranny, I think for clutch reasons.

flexj said:
Personally I am going to leave my NV in my truck and stay with an auto in the XJ. AW4 for now, possibly a Powerglide or Th400 when the AW4 goes.

Anyway, the diesel NV's also have a bigger input (1.25" compared to the 1.125" ) of the gas NV's. I don't know for sure but alot of what I've read says to go with the gas tranny, I think for clutch reasons.
if you have the 4.0 and want an auto tranny, i see no reason to ever run anything but that AW4. they are strong, geared relatively low, reliable, cheap, overdrive.... etc.

Joe said:
Ok all this talk about the NV4500, how would an AX-5 or an AX-15 compare to the NV4500?
Wholly inadequate...the NV4500 is used in 1/2-ton (or possibly 3/4-ton) pickup apps.

Joe said:
Ok all this talk about the NV4500, how would an AX-5 or an AX-15 compare to the NV4500?
NV4500 is much stronger and has a deeper 1st gear. It isn't a cheap swap, and is larger in size often requiring floor-pan modification. For many people the AX15 or NV 3550 which are already used in XJs are totally adequate.

The NV fits the XJ with slight hammer time in the tunnel. NO CUTTING required. And the hammer time is mainly for the shift fork to clear.

To fit it up tighter the trick is to cut the protrusions off the NV shift cover.

Fit real nice then.

mark

I had mine built with an early Chevy 1-2-3 cluster, netting the 6.3 to 1 first gear.

CRASH

There's fitting and then there's high clearance. Since HInkley rarely wheels, he doesn't care about the latter.

To get the NV flush with the bottom of the framerails, you must cut.

CRASH

I dont have a problem with labor or cutting or fabbing. Its money that eludes me. I dont want to get into this and find myself $1000.00 over budget. Any additional info would be great and appreciated very much. I have a line on a 2 wheel drive dodge version and a 4wd chevy version w/6.34-1 gear. How hard would it be to swap parts between them?

CRASH said:
There's fitting and then there's high clearance. Since HInkley rarely wheels, he doesn't care about the latter.

To get the NV flush with the bottom of the framerails, you must cut.

CRASH

BrettM said:
if you have the 4.0 and want an auto tranny, i see no reason to ever run anything but that AW4. they are strong, geared relatively low, reliable, cheap, overdrive.... etc.

Exactly my point...however, if the tranny goes, so does the motor. I would swap in a SBC along with the afore mentioned tranny.

Back