• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

non xj related catalytic converter

lyleorszulak807

NAXJA Forum User
So the time has come to replace a cat in one of my vehicles, not a jeep tho. Did some research and it is very difficult to buy cats that are 50 state smog legal, it seems that in 2009 the smog nazis made the mfg stamp carb eo numbers on the CA approved ones and if you replace them you need the warranty card filled out etc..

So here are my options:

1) Use a magnaflow universal cat which is not for use in CA, and if they question it tell them it was installed before 2009 I guess...

2) Use the CA smog approved one for twice the price.

Were talking about 150 compared to 320, cant help being cheap I hate this pos vehicle. Dont hate me its a land rover. :bawl:

I tried buying a universal one form summit or jegs and they wo nt shit them to CA. I need to figure out how to get around that.

I talked my mother in law into junking her land rrover for the vehicle retirement program, hopefully they cut her a check for $1000 and we can forget about the damn thing, lol.

What year is the rover? Napa's universal converters are pretty decent on price, but as you said they don't have the stamping on them with the CARB number. they are however 50 state legal as far as emissions output, and we are allowed to sell them in CA.

FWIW I have NEVER had a smog tech look under the car to check for the CARB stamping. as long as it passes the sniffer they don't make too much fuss about it.

Mine is a 2001 pos from hell, already did the heads couple of months ago. Seriously the worst vehicle I have ever owned. Yeah I never had a smog tech look under neath either, and if they did I think I would just say hey I bought it that way so it must of been done prior to the 2009 law, lol. I just looked it up on napaonline.com, you guys have the walker oem replacements but ive seen them for 50 bucks cheaper. And I do see the universal one too. Hey Grim, I remember you said you worked there anyway to cut me a deal?

I am thinking I have/should replace both of them along with the 4! o2 sensors...ouch thats a pretty penny.

Or should I just buy the magnaflow universal ones? There only 68 bucks from summit and I have relatives in another state so I can mail it to them and then mail it to me. :)

Legality would be my recommendation as well. I paid $320 for a new cat on a free truck. It sucks, but we live in CA.

Back