• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CARB-compliant catalytic converters

the techs I've used usually don't care as much about the equipment as they do the sniff test.

That was true in the past, but it's a whole new ballgame since the STAR program went into effect on 1/1/2013. If a shop passes too many vehicles that fail at other shops later on, the shop will be shut down. There's a lot of incentive for them to follow the rules on visual inspections now.

My 98 has what I considered a single cat, but I was told by an exhaust shop that the baseball sized tubing to the rear of the oilpan is considered a cat too. I can't verify what he said, I've never had it apart.

What you see at the very top center of this picture:
0906_4wd_07_z+1998_jeep_cherokee_xj+front_links.jpg

Shut up.....

Damn it...

PIPE, Exhaust
[FONT=&quot]#52021 003AD ER0 California, w/Converter, 1999 XJ[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]EP0 1997 XJ, 1998 XJ[/FONT]

Pre-cat? You can't replace it unless you cut it out and install a universal one I take it?

Otherwise you have to replace the entire down pipe...

Last edited:
I also have a '98 with the single cat in front of the muffler, no funny bulge in the cross over pipe. It had the honeycomb rattle when I bought it.
I replaced it with a 49 state unit from Summit (less than $100.00 I believe) I welded an O2 bung into it at the original position and haven't had any issue with it passing smog.
The most recent test was at a Star, Gold or whatever BS name they're going by now.

OK, so the front pipe contains a small pre-cat on 97+ XJs but it's part of the entire downpipe.

If that's correct, then a rear cat replacement for a 1998 would be a MagnaFlow 447206, which I have already ordered. I'll let you know how it goes.

I got the replacement unit today. Looks right but it does not include an O2 sensor bung like the factory one did. I guess I will have to find one and weld it into the pipe downstream.

normal_image~74.jpg

Before you do the work, you may want to run the number on that cat past your local smog shop and have them verify the application. Not having an O2 bung might be a red flag. Last fall was the first time I'd ever seen my local guy check that number on my replacement cat - wrong number is a fail, according to him.

I've already verified the engine family number, the executive order number and the part number. This is the correct universal cat, but the Magnaflow dude told me that most of the universals don't have the bungs. The shops add the sensors downstream and the state has no problem with it.

the smog guys are getting pinched hard by the state, the guy i usually go to got popped by an undercover for not checking numbers last month and closed his shop, it re-opened last weekend with a new name :roflmao:

Back