• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Everything you ever wanted to know about the AW4

Maybe one of yinz can chime in. What are some signs of a bad lockup solenoid or 1-2 shift solenoid? Goes away mostly once warmed up. Uphill seems like kickdown is stiff, and highway hunts a bit with lockup.

I’ve done fluid within the past 15k miles. Cable reset done…still due for a filter change at next fluid replacement, so im planning ahead in case it is a solenoid issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get the factory aw4 manual for free, but your description pretty much said it all (very few thermal failures).

You can get the factory aw4 manual for free, but your description pretty much said it all (very few thermal failures).

Im leaning towards solenoid overhaul, easy enough to do while changing the filter and installing a cooler. Only other thing that could potentially cause an issue is the bg atf i used.. that’ll all get pumped out when i do the filter etc. and most likely get replaced with amsoil HD

The only problem I see is getting Mopar oem solenoids!

I forgot, even worse it's a Aisin-Warner which just complicates things even more!!!

I forgot, even worse it's a Aisin-Warner which just complicates things even more!!!

I’m no stranger to solenoid issues in an Aisin transmission lol. Last vehicle i had was an 03 XC70, did similar things which made me lean towards solenoids.

Fix on that was to replace valve body and solenoids with Rostra solenoids and later style valve body.

Most likely will pick up the Rostra kit and maybe a transgo kit if its worth it

Cant edit to add but: its my understanding Rostra is the OE supplier to pretty much everyone in this department

I’m no stranger to solenoid issues in an Aisin transmission lol. Last vehicle i had was an 03 XC70, did similar things which made me lean towards solenoids.

Fix on that was to replace valve body and solenoids with Rostra solenoids and later style valve body.

Most likely will pick up the Rostra kit and maybe a transgo kit if its worth it

I would inspect them before I jump to any replacement. FYI.....
https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1159116

Do you know if I can use this diagnostic manual with my 1996 4.0 l HO XJ ?

Mechanically, there were almost no changes between the in the AW4 up until 1998. 1991 and earlier had a different rear output speed sensor, and output spline count.

Electrically though, the 1991 and earlier were the Renix years with a different transmission computer. The TPS signal was inverted, and the data line were a serial connection instead of OBD codes, so that part of the manual won't apply. Post 1998 added a front input speed sensor.

The 1996 service manual, google, and this very helpful forum should suffice for most needs.

Does anyone know if there is a way to date both the TCM and PCM? I have a 96 4.0 XJ that supposedly had a 2001 XJ 4.0 installed at a later date. The AW4 is very sluggish in drive like it is trying to start moving in a high gear, it drives normally in 1-2 position and seems to be fine in 3rd. I will be looking into the TPS, but I was wondering if a mismatched (2001 in a 1996) TPS (appears to be the later style), TCM and/or PCM would also cause the issue in drive?

The motors are all the same, what makes you think they did a complete wire harness conversion to use a later PCM?

The 1996 is a bit of a bastard crossover year, but nothing changed with the transmission until 1998.

Part numbers on the computers will tell you the year. The trans computer changed shape and location in 98, so that would be obvious. A mismatched trans and engine computer wouldn't cause your symptoms. The TPS sensor still puts out the same voltages, so that wouldn't cause any problems.

Your issue sounds like either no power to the trans computer, or a bad #1 solenoid. Once up to speed, does it seem like it's shifting between 3-4 okay, which would indicate the trans computer has power? I'd start by measuring resistance of the solenoids at the connector under the hood against the firewall, or even better at the trans computer connector.

Looking for some guidance, going off this write up :

I have a 97 and am installing a 98+ trans and transfer case. Do I still need to swap the input gears if I am using the 98 TC as well?

Can anyone link me to an image or purchase link for the " sensor drive rotor" ? Google is just showing me brake rotors and this will be my first time cracking open a TC.

Thanks for any assistance!

Looking for some guidance, going off this write up :
I have a 97 and am installing a 98+ trans and transfer case. Do I still need to swap the input gears if I am using the 98 TC as well?
Can anyone link me to an image or purchase link for the " sensor drive rotor" ? Google is just showing me brake rotors and this will be my first time cracking open a TC. Thanks for any assistance!

Heres a pic of my 2000's speed sensor.......
P1080784.JPG

Heres a pic of my 2000's speed sensor.......
P1080784.JPG

Thank you!

So going based off this info highlighted, I should be able to just swap the speed sensor on the 98 transfer case with the one off the 97, to make the harness match and be good....no?

I have been up for 28 hours working jobs so my brain may not be comprehending things entirely.

Thank you!So going based off this info highlighted, I should be able to just swap the speed sensor on the 98 transfer case with the one off the 97, to make the harness match and be good....no?
I have been up for 28 hours working jobs so my brain may not be comprehending things entirely.

I believe the sensor moved so you would need to use your earlier tail-housing also.

Back