• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CARB-compliant catalytic converters

travisk

NAXJA Forum User
When I plug my 1998 4.0 XJ into Magnaflow's website, it shows a front and rear cat even though my Jeep only has one.

FRONT Magnaflow 447104 Amazon $211.74
REAR Magnaflow 447206 Amazon $138.48

1998 seems to be a strange year for cats in the vendor catalogs.

Which one do I need? I'd rather not deal with smog compliance issues.

The 98 cat was superseded and replaced by the 97.

Order a 97 cat, 5083054AD

Edit: I just changed the part number. That first number I gave you was wrong...

Last edited:
That part is $500.

Yes it is... You will not find the elusive sub $100 cat anywhere here in Cali. It doesn't exist.

I think I got mine for around $230.

I gave you that number to help you on your quest. That is the new MOPAR number for the cat that you seek because the factory cats for the 98's no longer exist.

For whatever reason, they now use 97 cats on the 98s. There is very little that is different about them on the outside but they are different part numbers in the original parts catalog.

As I recall, the port for the oxygen sensor is about 2" further downstream but it cause zero fitment issues.

Good luck.

(For what it's worth here is the original part number for a Cali 98 cat: 5210 1401)

Last edited:
Rockauto Walker 82789 says legal for CA. $218.99.

That one looks right, but I can't tell if it has the post-cat oxygen sensor hole. My jeep needs that, but there were a lot of variations in 98. MagnaFlow sells 4 different cats approved for a 98 but I need the right one. Guess I will have to call.

You might have luck with this Ebay seller: 3guysautoparts

I bought my 1996 Cal legal converter from them for $164 (and my smog guy checked the numbers on the cat to verify legality this year). I don't see any 98 parts listed currently, so I'd just send them a message. Post up what you find, I'm sure my 98 will need a cat one of these years.

[FONT=&quot]Brand[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Magnaflow[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Item Weight[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 7 pounds[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Product Dimensions[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 17.8 x7 x 4.6 inches[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Item model number [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 43036 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Discontinued by manufacturer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Yes[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Manufacturer Part Number[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 43036[/FONT]

Also, I don't see anywhere on the site where it says this cat is legal for Cali. I'd bet it's not.

I talked to a MagnaFlow tech and learned that California thinks my 98 is supposed to have 2 cats, but for some reason it only has one, so I'm screwed. Yes, it has a California sticker from Chrysler on it along with a test group number from CARB. Not sure why it only has one.

As soon as I swap in a new cat the smog tech is probably going to notice that it only has one cat and fail it, even if the cat number is the correct application.

The old cat isn't throwing any OBD2 errors, but there is a piece broken loose inside. Not sure what to do.

1998 XJ is single cat. XJs didn't get multi cats until 2000.

That makes sense to me, but the state of California believes otherwise. Here is the CARB database that the smog techs and manufacturers use to determine compliance. Notice how it specs two cats for all 1998 4.0 applications - a front and a rear. What's up with that?

sCnckJi.jpg

Nope, I have the CA version with a CA sticker and a CA test group name. It has one cat. But the state says I need two.

LOL! I was just directed to that site....

They have their heads up their butts.... You will never find a 98 with a stock exhaust and 2 cats.

Find a good source for a reasonably priced '97 Cali cat and bolt it on.

If it fails smog (which it won't) I'll send you a dollar...

Makes no sense... maybe contact one of the aftermarket mfgrs and ask them exactly where the various cats mount because you're having a hard time figuring it out because your vehicle is factory original & only has one cat... might get them working toward solving the issue. Maybe not before your cat breaks up tho :(

A lot of smog info given to shops is wrong. the techs I've used usually don't care as much about the equipment as they do the sniff test. Every time I get my renix smogged they tell me that my check engine light doesn't work. It doesn't have one. But their literature says it should. Never failed because of it. Just replace the one and don't even bring up the two cats ordeal unless they do. And I'd just tell the truth that it only came with one from the factory. That's just my .02

Makes no sense... maybe contact one of the aftermarket mfgrs and ask them exactly where the various cats mount because you're having a hard time figuring it out because your vehicle is factory original & only has one cat... might get them working toward solving the issue. Maybe not before your cat breaks up tho :(

HAH! Good luck with that.... All they will do is go to the exact same website and do a look-up like anyone else.... They have to, it's the law.

"Uh... Yup. It's got two cats... Sez so right there..."

That's all you're gonna get.

I have a little time today. I'm calling the village idiots over at the air resources board and see how badly they can stonewall me just for giggles.

The old cat isn't throwing any OBD2 errors, but there is a piece broken loose inside. Not sure what to do.

This is exactly what happened to me about 3 years ago. The honeycomb broke loose inside and was rattling around. The guy at the test station heard it and said "NOPE!" Not even gonna try.

I went through exactly what you are going through.

Until I went to the dealer and after about 40 minutes of going through microfiche, CD's, books, phone calls, etc. they finally came to the realization that the '98 cat is superseded by a '97.

That's why no one has a Cali cat specifically for a '98...

Back