• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No dash lights

RªMB°

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ currently has no dash lights in it. When the headlights are on I have no gauge lights and no clock, but the blinker and hi beam lights come on. The clock comes on when the lights are off. I replaced the radio in my Jeep for a better one and was wondering if I knocked a ground off or blew a fuse in another circut?

I really dont know about the tail lights I havent checked that yet. I will do tonight.

Man, and I was searching for a useful thread...lo and behold.

I'm having the EXACT same problem with my '94 XJ. I recently installed an aftermarket stereo as well. I also used the illum wire in the stereo harness to trigger the light in a Sunpro tach. After it all came together, there were no problems for a good week. Then one day my gauge lights, shifter bezel lights, 4wd selector lights, and the lead to the tach from the stereo harness are out (tach still works, just doesn't illum when the headlamps go on). I look at the fuse block and there are 2 blown fuses (just bought the jeep), one going to the rear defrost, and another for which I have no idea. I replace both...problem solved...for another week. Then the dash lights go out again. (Rear defrost still works). I look at the fuse block...no blown fuses. Taillights work. Cigar lighter works. Overhead dome works...even turns on when I turn the dimmer all the way on. Stereo still works. Tach still works (no illumination though). I start picking...no measurable current from the illum lead in the stereo compartment. With the same grounds, i hook up a 12v hot wire to the tach. The grounds are still good.....and now I'm frustrated. So i pulled the dash apart, and got all cut and scratched up on the underneath of the dash...we wont go there...

If i could find out where the lead for the dash dimmer comes into the system for the ENTIRE dash light system, i could work it down, testing leads and grounds, and most likely come up with a checklist of open air connections (accessories that you could check that would be inline with the dash lights to pinpoint the problem area, and if there was a short or not, and where it might be).
My question is, where could i get a diagram of the location, color, and path of all these wires (start, to finish, and all the taps in the middle), and with the combined knowledge of everyone in this jeep world, would this even be the solution......is there an easier way? So on and so forth. Anything that anyone gives me that i try and test to be partially functional in any aspect, I will republish as a concise guide to this problem. I have seen a couple of threads for this issue, but to my knowledge they all are a little vague and indescript for a repair guide.

Sorry for this mad load of spam...

Last edited:
Bro-Quo said:
Just scanning through looking for a useful thread...lo and behold. I got the same problem on my 94 XJ. Just installed a new stereo as well. I also wired an aftermarket tach to the CD player illumination lead (no problems from that, since its the only wire hooked to that). All my fuses are good. My taillights are working. My headlights work... Yet no gauge lights, no shifter bezel lights, no dash lights, no nothing... Dimmer switch on the dome light works. At first I had no problems. Then the dash lights went out, whilst the dome light still functions. I replaced a few fuses, and it started working again. Then it went out again. I looked back at the same fuses, and this time they're not blown; brand new actually. And they check out on a voltometer. I read one thread that said it might be the ?dimmer switch relay?...

What would help would be to find out where the juice from the headlight gauge illum. starts in the dash dimmer system, and start checking it for shorts. Only problem is, where does one obtain that wiring diagram (colors of wires with functions, locations of plugs, etc.,) and from the collective knowledge of everyone here, would that even help?

maybe a ground issue or short. is the tach and radio grounded?

check for loose connections going to or from the back of the fuse block. sometimes the fuse block starts to come apart an cause loose connections that will blow a fuse.

89xj said:
maybe a ground issue or short. is the tach and radio grounded?

check for loose connections going to or from the back of the fuse block. sometimes the fuse block starts to come apart an cause loose connections that will blow a fuse.

both tach and radio grounds are good. I'll check the fuse block. I haven't a good diagram of what each socket does, as mine has no cover, nor do i believe came with one. I'm going to be knee deep in jeep this weekend, and i'll be all over this...i'll be in touch.

If you search for a thread called " Keep blowing 15 amp fuse" I did a write up on this exact same problem. It ended up being the main headlight harness behind the drivers side headlight. The main power wire had shorted to another wire and caused the EXACT same problem. I found this after replacing every ground, headlight switch, turn signal switch, etc

If you guys find out the solution for this problem let me now, i have EXACTLY the same problem!

i have no lights at all, EXCEPT, i have just found that this was working today, in the "sun protector" (i dont know the name of this in english, the part that you pull to cover the sunlight) on the passenger side. All the rest, dash, gear, radio gone !

Ok guys, i ave spent some time today looking for the problem and unfortunly i was unable to find it. i have dismantled the dash and all the lights are ok, i have also taked the radio out and i've checked if there was any power in the cables using a multimeter and there is no power at all, so i re-checked the fuses and all ok!

with all this i have to assume its a ignition problem like someone posted before, but now i have a doubt! as you guys might know the xj is kinda messy when it comes to wires under the dash, so, i´ve tried to go to the ignition it self, but... how the hell do you access the ignition?

or.. when you guys say its an ignition problem do you mean a specific point in the "wires" ?

"the tail and dash lights on my88 mj are seperate. different fuses and all."
My 88 uses two circuits for the dash lights: First it runs through the 10 amp fuse for the taillights and makes it's rounds to the headlight switch and splits off to the taillights and the other heads back to the 5 amp fuse for the dash lights. I kept blowing the 10 amp fuse until I realized that the tumbler for the keyswitch was so worn out that the keys would become energized with 12v + and the key would hit the steering wheel and blow the fuse.

mcnamaag said:
If you search for a thread called " Keep blowing 15 amp fuse" I did a write up on this exact same problem. It ended up being the main headlight harness behind the drivers side headlight. The main power wire had shorted to another wire and caused the EXACT same problem. I found this after replacing every ground, headlight switch, turn signal switch, etc

Did you check this?

Hello again...

mcnamaag -> yup, i've read his post, and altough my problem its similar, its not exactly the same thing, because i do not keep blowing fuses and my headlights\tail lights work all ok.

like i said before when i used the multimeter to check the wires, i had no power on them, so i've to assume that there might be either a faulty +12v cable somewhere or an ignition problem. The onnoying thing here is that the power problem is somewhere after the fusebox, and this makes me believe its not the ignition but the wire it self :|

but... wich one ? if it was only one thing that was not working, i could do some re-wiring... but in this case... there must be a "single" cable for all this (gauges\dash, dome lights, radio, light under gearbox)?

Kad, it always helps to give the year of your xj although I see that you have an '88 from previous posts. Yeah, that is an somewhat of an understatement to say that the wiring on the older xjs is "kind of messy". A "disaster" might be closer to reality.

That is a "sun visor" or just "visor".

Does the blower motor for your heater/AC work? Also, I assume your dome light works? Blower and radio are controlled by the ignition switch so it is pertinent to know if both are out.

lo again...

Pelican -> well... the fan from the blower seems to work, the AC it self i dont know, because since i bought the Jeep it never worked, i believe it has no gas.

About the dome, the lights in the dome are gone also !

Do the 88 xj has some kind of ignition box where all the wires from the ignition (where the key goes) go to ?

If you have an XJ with the GM steering column, then it could be the ignition switch. Several different circuits run through it on different sets of contacts. It can lead to weird loss of circuits that are completely seperate otherwise. The switch is the box at the bottom of the steering colum, near your feet. It is operated by a rod, which runs down from the lock cylinder. This applies to XJs up to year about 1992....not sure the year cutoff. My 1990 has the GM steering column.

4xBob -> is it a small black box with a big connection on one of the sides ?

i am asking this because i have a LPG system installed in my XJ, and beside all the factory wires in it i also have the extra box's and stuff from the lpg all under the dash near my feet :\

If it weren't for your radio not working, I would guess that the problem is in the dimmer section of the headlight switch It could be the rheostat or the ground connection knocked loose or not reattached if someone has been working under the dash. This could also affect the radio illumination but as far as I know, shouldn't affect the radio playing.

No question that strange things can happen with wiring problems but since the blower motor works, I wouldn't think it is the ignition switch per se.

Back