• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no bu5 - electrical problem???

David B.

NAXJA Member #490
So this morning I go out to start the jeep (98 Cherokee). It starts up fine like normal, but I notice that none of my gauges are functioning, the check engine and airbag lights remain on and the digital odometer readout shows 'no bu5' (no bus?) Anyway, after a minute or two everything returns to normal so I drive to work with no further problems. Has anyone ever experienced this? Solutions?

Thanks

Normally, this is a connection problem and is pretty common. Somebody please chime in with the procedure for restoring proper connection (unplugging/cleaning/dielectric grease)

Very doubtful that a battery could cause a no-bus. I really suspect a connection problem here behind the instrument panel. It is a pretty common problem on this vintage XJ. Good Luck!

I just recently bought a 98 Jeep Cherokee Sport and the guy put in 100 watt h4 headlights himself. He didnt want to rewire the whole system with larger wires so he just directly connected them to the lights. not exactly sure what he did. but more and more frequently my guages will quit working and my airbag and check engine light go on. The headlights wont turn off unless i turn the jeep off and when they are on i dont have reverse lights. I was wondering if this is a similar problem or something else.

I would recommend you pull those H4s before you smoke some vital part of the wiring harness.

The XJ wiring for the headlights is FACTORY FUBAR with stock lamps.

To run any upgraded lights you are going to need an upgraded harness with relays to take the load off the switches, etc.

Back