• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New electrical problem

Jeepguy91

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
So long story short we are building a 1990 MJ for my oldest son. We stripped it down completely to bare shell and transfered everything over to it from a 2000 XJ. Come to find out the motor was bad in the XJ so we purchased a 97 XJ for the drivetrain swap. When we did this final swap we did also swap over the engine wiring harness, interior fuse panel, ecm, and tcm.

Now comes my problems I'm having. The truck will start and run and idle just fine. None of the gauges are working and I get an airbag light on the cluster along with eventually a "no bus" on the odometer and a check engine light. Brake lights and head lights are working but no turn signals or running lights. Also not getting any power at the obd2 port.

I've gone thru and checked every fuse in the truck and also checked my grounds to make sure they are clean. I've taken the cluster out and cleaned the connections and added dielectric grease to them with no change. Just looking for a little input on where I should look next. Trying to get this truck finished up within next month or so.

Thanks for all your help.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

The wiring from a 97 to a 2000 will be slightly different because there were fairly significant changes between 99 and 00, so if you didn't use the entire harness from the 97 that's probably the issue. Otherwise when I had no bus on my 00 I had forgotten the ground at the dipstick.

Are you talking about the dash or under the hood? I already swapped out the stuff under the hood. Didn't think I was gonna have to swap the stuff over from the dash as well.

I'll bet you need to do the dash. I did mine when I swapped in the 96 wiring.

Well swapped the dash out yesterday along with all internal wiring. Still no running lights or turn signals. The no bus seems to have gone away but still have the airbag light. Gonna look into more today. Hoping I'm narrowing it down.

Back