• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie - Just got an MJ

i like my manual trans!!! there is some thing to be said for an auto, but i still like the control that you get with a clutch. i am sure that there are obstacles that will prove more difficult with a stick but there are many advantages to being able to choose a gear and not have the car decide that you are in the wrong one. with a low geared transfer case i think a stick might be better. not having to knock it in to reverse, just stepping on the clutch to roll back off an obstacle is kinda nice too! and for the record lockers are rad!!

I rather have a locker, make the obstacle, than to sit there frustrated to hell cause it's taken 30 mins to go up one rock.

:greensmok
it has taken me 10-15 minutes before, but never longer. and that is something i really shouldnt have made it up anyways, so i was extremely stoked regardless how long it took.

i like my manual trans!!! there is some thing to be said for an auto, but i still like the control that you get with a clutch. i am sure that there are obstacles that will prove more difficult with a stick but there are many advantages to being able to choose a gear and not have the car decide that you are in the wrong one. with a low geared transfer case i think a stick might be better. not having to knock it in to reverse, just stepping on the clutch to roll back off an obstacle is kinda nice too! and for the record lockers are rad!!

The atlas will help you with the stick for sure. 4.3 is pretty low

but there is no war around burning the clutch in some places.

and having a TCU like the RAdesigns, or the montanafab means the car can't decide what gear you are in.

I love driving stick, personally I would rather have a manual in a street vehicle.

so after almost no progress on the mj i kinda got a little motivation and money and threw them at it. last weekend i swapped out the entire cooling system new three row all brass and copper radiator, new water pump, 180 degree thermostat, and of course the fan clutch. she runs cool now (so far) on the way i have a doubler from northwest fab so the rig may actually make it to four wheel drive this year! updates and photos to follow:)

Finally tore the intake manifold and header off and welded up the cracks, rear two runners were nearly cracked off. painted it with very high temp and exhaust wrapped it. Installed a new gasket too (the old one was missing a chunk near the bottom of the second exhaust port) new o2, new h2o temp sensor, new serpentine. Oh i also cleaned the manifold temp sensor. getting the header back on was a pain! The welding made it pull in about an eighth inch and the studs in the block were not going to fit. i drilled the two outer holes out one size and used some creative clamping and prying :) Any way, she idles normally now and doesn't backfire and there isn't that terrible exhaust leak roar coming from the engine bay . slight misfire somewhere but much better!

not sure what i need to do to post pics on this...

gasketleak_zps866f9475.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]

It's not your computer.....Naxja goes into back up mode at 11:00pm PST and the site becomes useless.

Back