• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new to naxja looking for ny xjs

sidriptide said:
i agree... who knows the "BEACON" NY trail?? its somewhere along the Ct part of the state... might be a good central location to get together... if noone knows it i can get a friend of mine who does know it... white stuff is flying soon and we may have to wait till spring.. if someone knows a LEGAL place to wheel and is interested in getting it organized, i urge you to get in touch with one of the out-going or in-coming BOD and talk about it... lets make the NAC about MORE THAN JUST NACFEST..... we have a big area to cover....
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but..... the last I have heard and seen it is posted and agressively patrolled by the local police, access is through a partially residential area, and people call the police when they even sniff a 4x4, none of it is "public" and even the small part that is not posted is still private property. It is actually not near the NY CT Border, but along the Hudson river, in Dutchess county - about 25 mi from me, I am on the NY CT border.

Art Triggs said:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but..... the last I have heard and seen it is posted and agressively patrolled by the local police, access is through a partially residential area, and people call the police when they even sniff a 4x4, none of it is "public" and even the small part that is not posted is still private property. It is actually not near the NY CT Border, but along the Hudson river, in Dutchess county - about 25 mi from me, I am on the NY CT border.

no kidding... i was under the impression it was legal but never really looked into it.. a friend of mine ran out there in october and i almost went with him, so i added it to my "next year" list....

Last I heard it isnt,(this summer) (I know of some people who have been ticketed there) this is confused by the fact that there are several trails though there, all of them nice, some are posted and patrolled, some arent, but are on private property so technically you are trespassing regardless of the signs or not. There were a couple of short trails by me, but one just got gated, thanks to atv riders, the ownwer was colol with small groups going through to some power lines, but he got tired of the kids on atv's tearing everything up and throwing garbage around.(sound familiar??) There is one more spot close to there but its a tweny minute climb up and down, not worth a couple hour trip to wheel it - it makes for a good testing ground ;-)

a good friend of mine lives in new hamp at the beginning of the white mountains. he owns 13 acres and the rest is just all power line trails. it's all open access and legal. for the spring i could look into hotels there and well do a saturday/sunday trip. there a good mix of hill climbs, mud pits and some rock crawling.

xjrugger said:
a good friend of mine lives in new hamp at the beginning of the white mountains. he owns 13 acres and the rest is just all power line trails. it's all open access and legal. for the spring i could look into hotels there and well do a saturday/sunday trip. there a good mix of hill climbs, mud pits and some rock crawling.

a NH road trip?? that sounds like fun.. pencil mikey in!!!

Yeah I heard that the beacon was closed, the guys over at Neow on the former FRC forum used to run Breakage on the Beacon (B.O.B) but last I heard over there was that it was closed. I know of a potential trail in the southern NH area that I have been running lately that me and some other guys were supposed to go hit up this weekend, that from what I have heard from some land owners was legit but that kinda fizzled out as for this past weekend and I still have to get some information regarding the legal running of the second half of the trail due to a recent serious injury happening on the property, but if any news develops I will keep people informed, as it is a pretty good trail but itsnt anything that should be run in a stocker

Moto said:
Yeah I heard that the beacon was closed, the guys over at Neow on the former FRC forum used to run Breakage on the Beacon (B.O.B) but last I heard over there was that it was closed.

your talking about "Beacon", Ma.. out near me.. that was bought by The Nature Conservancy (the worlds leading greenie group) official papers were signed in september.. you can still go there for a nature walk though.. :rattle:

I'd be game for wheeling the crap outta my XJ before I drop it down to like a 2 inch lift. See what you can dig up for information about wheeling the Tug Hill area in NY. Everyone can stay at my place or buddy's house we got 5 garage stalls so if there is breakage we can fix anyone up before they shoot out. The state land is 5 minutes from my house and it's a chunk of roughly 11,000 acres. It is king to snowmobilers so I'd be willing to be if it was legal to run some snowmobile trains or minimun maintenance roads it'd be a fun time. As long as it's legal though

Anytime after christmas I'll more than likely go wheeling with you guys but it'll be in my YJ

ohh and Chris ur sister can spend night in my room if you come up lol

wheeling sled trails in the winter is a good way get yourself a confrontation with some really ****ed-off sledders.... just a bad idea.. they put tons of effort into grooming and marking trails for tourism and when they get torn up they take it INCREDIBLY PERSONAL... i cant blame them..
i got final word tonight that Beacon NY is absolutley CLOSED.... and has been for a few years now.. i think wheelers going there has increased with a lack of enforcement..

Bert said:
I'm new to the NYC area. Just moved here from San Jose, CA. I live on Staten Island, which kind of sucks, but at least there is parking, Haven't seen a single lifted jeep here except mine on the street. Where do you guys wheel? and does anyone want to help me put on my AJ's offroad rock rails? I have no garage, no driveway, and only limited tools. I had to drive across the country for the move with only what i could fit in the xj. Anyone wanna help?

hey bert,
i live on staten island too. i'm not a mechanic, but drop me a line maybe i can help you with your truck.

Majo said:
Anytime after christmas I'll more than likely go wheeling with you guys but it'll be in my YJ

ohh and Chris ur sister can spend night in my room if you come up lol

You are not invited... and she will be nowhere near your bed. How would dave feel if she took his spot? :kissyou:

Jeepin Dave's my roomie, not my gf. and yeah we bunk beads hahah :laugh3:

but i've bunked ur sister though too :gag: haha

don't worry i'm a member and i got my XJ, i'll flat tow my YJ for an XJ recovery vehicle haha

I know of a couple guys who go to the tug hill area. (not personally) I think he posted a run this last fall on this board. I was hoping to go this summer but my plans change very quickly at times and it didnt happen, I would be interested this spring & summer, and or a ride to new hampshire. Mike , glad I wasnt mistaken about Beacon NY, I have circled around the area many times, and scouted all over that part of Putnam and Dutchess County, all there is are lots of new posted signs, the only easy wheeling trail was a an access road for some state land, part of it washed away this last winter, and the repair effort has turned into a capped road with guard rails.....phooey, its still a pretty place to ride thru, just isnt wheeling anymore.

Well you guys just missed my last invite to hit the tug hill area by about 3 weeks, we went Nov. 12-14, and it was a blast..... This particular trail will be closed as of Dec 5th, for snowmobiles, but re opens in the spring. These trails are totally legal and even a stock YJ can make it a majority of the way down the trail, (not sure about a stock XJ), but I bet it could get pretty far with a tug here and there. These trails are definitely worth the trip, and would be about 2 hours from the albany area. Kinda around the Boonville area, north of Utica. There's lots of places to camp, and its really nice and rustic, I'll post something similiar to the thread that was in Unofficial trail runs, and see who we can get to come this time around..... later. -Andy

I'm down for a trip thru there , couldnt do the last one, mechanical stuff and family commitments sidelined me, I'm not all that far from there, I know you mentioned your run on JA as well, so let us know, I bet there is a contingent of NY xj er's that would go.

I will definitely post some time around march to go back up to the Tug Hill trails, they open as soon as the snow has melted to the point that sled's can't pass over the rocks. I'll post in unofficial trail runs, and in general discussions and maybe in North atlantic as well. Yeah I mostly am on Jeepaholics (Steele) same as here, but as the XJ becomes more of a trail rig than my YJ i'll prob be here just as much. Either way the more people I get to know with common interests the better.

sidriptide said:
i agree... who knows the "BEACON" NY trail?? its somewhere along the Ct part of the state... might be a good central location to get together... if noone knows it i can get a friend of mine who does know it... white stuff is flying soon and we may have to wait till spring.. if someone knows a LEGAL place to wheel and is interested in getting it organized, i urge you to get in touch with one of the out-going or in-coming BOD and talk about it... lets make the NAC about MORE THAN JUST NACFEST..... we have a big area to cover....

I know the Mt. Beacon trail very well I have been testing my vehicles there for years. L ast time I was there I heard from some park rangers they are cracking down on people going in. I myself have never run into a problem.

Joe

Last edited:
:wave: Not a New Yorker, But very close to "upstate". I would be interested in the trip when the trails reopen for ohv use. Hopefully I will see the post. Later guys and gals.

rockreadyxj said:
I know the Mt. Beacon trail very well I have been testing my vehicles there for years. L ast time I was there I heard from some park rangers they are cracking down on people going in. I myself have never run into a problem.

Joe

that's reason enough for us not to go there as an official organization.... if there is any doudt or question it's best to abstain until some better official information is available.. just because tickets arent being written doesnt mean its totally legit..

I have been going there on a routine basis and have never had a problem in 8 or 9 years. Maybe you dont know the history of the mountain or any other information about it but it is owned by the state the divison of forestry service and the trail is not posted to keep out. most of the trails that a rockcrawler would take are paths that stem off the main fire roads. The area every one is refering to is in the residential neighbor hood is a cut out trail off of state land that goes to the power authory that is posted to keep out. But all the fire roads ands trail to the look out tower are not posted and I was there about a month ago. It is patroled by the forest rangers service but I have stopped and talked with them several times and they have never told me I had to leave. I think most of the time people who are asked to leave are the few people that are not giveing this hobby a good name and its a shame that all of us have to suffer.

Joe

Back