• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to me 97 xj

97xjnova

NAXJA Forum User
So I bought a 97 xj fri but I love it and hate it right now..

It has a lot of wierd problems as far as door locks and windows and also trying to figure out what lift I have and if I should do a sye or a hack tap

5c6898a772cf3f67f887211382f61f21.jpg
10bf86aedfcefa5a0a4798dd3f724a2a.jpg
76eff454b88996910e7d5a2a76a7539d.jpg
3236c865e575d724109de16a91cb77be.jpg
ce1c07d5078a8e2badd277818de6665d.jpg

Post pictures of the suspension and driveshaft setup if you want answers there. ;)

Drivers door wire harness and master switch assembly issue are very common. Inspect and test the wire harness for chafed wire insulation, broken wires, and failed wire splices. Inspect and test the individual switches for dirty contacts, and failed/cold solder joints.

Continuity testing and a visual inspection is usually all that is necessary. A JEEP Factory Service Manual has complete wire diagrams.

I'd suspect at minimum 4 inches since the drop brackets and adjustable lower control arms are in place.

Couldn't you just ask the previous owner what lift he put on?

What sized tires are you running? I'm glad to see you replaced the bald ones that were in your first set of photos.

I'd like to see some close ups of the suspension at rest. Maybe close ups of the components will indicate the manufacturer. Are there any numbers or letters stamped/painted on the rear leaf springs? Is there a coil spacer on the front?

I'm at 5.5" (and this is just a rough guideline) with 265s, and measuring 33 1/2 inches from the ground to the body panel at the base of the taillight and on the front fender pretty much right where your bumper ends.

based on that set up, I'd suspect 5" to 5'5" Not sure who's lift it is. One thing to note, switch the coil spacer and the stock spacer locations. Put the coil spacer against the body and the stock small spacer against the spring. I had mine set up the way yours is and after wheeling kind of hard one weekend I split my coil spacers and had to get new ones.

Have you taken your rear drive line angles? Are there any markings on the rear leaf spring packs?

Back