• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Jersey Lift Laws new website

FYI. High Rise is not affected by New Jersey's pending inspection changes dropping the mechanical portion of inspection. All of the previous requirements for high rise are still in effect.

Do you know if the hi-rise inspection process itself will remain in effect, or just that we're all still responsible for meeting the requirements?

Do you know if the hi-rise inspection process itself will remain in effect, or just that we're all still responsible for meeting the requirements?

From what I been told 'yes'. We're guessing the biggest reason is because high rise is lumped in with bus, reconstructed vehicles, etc. Dropping these inspections would create a backlash from parent groups and safety advocates. Also factor in the high rate of rejections these categories produce, unlike normal inspection. Finally, the budget to keep these 3 stations operating is very small.

Put them all together and the political and potential litigation challenges to dropping these small programs probably isn't worth it.

Certainly this is just our opinion derived while sitting on a porch with a few six packs.

has anyone tried going thru regular inspection for just emmissions with a vehicle that used to go thru hi rise?just wondering if they would send me packing.can private garages still issue stickers by testing only emmissions?

has anyone tried going thru regular inspection for just emmissions with a vehicle that used to go thru hi rise?just wondering if they would send me packing.can private garages still issue stickers by testing only emmissions?

I doubt either way would work...with the barcode system, they can tell right away that it's been thru highrise before, which kicks you right out of the system and back to that...others posting on here are correct, anything that cant pass it probably shouldnt be on the road, realistically...I'm no fan of mudflaps, but in reality its not a huge deal to prep your rig to pass this if it's been well built...
Rich

i went thru the other day with another vehicle of mine that has gone thru hi rise for the last 4 yrs.it passed the hi rise part and because i did mods since last time it had to be tilt tested again.it passed all of the hi rise part but failed the standing idle emmissions.he put a small failed above my now 2 mos old inspection sticker.i went to a shop and had them put it on their machine to see whats up with with the HCs at idle.they were way down from what he got and well within the tolerance.i knew something was up because when he had me rev it up for the hi idle test it was screaming.i think his pickup wasnt working.im going to tell him to use the other type of pickup that goes on the no# 1 plug wire next time.i called back to make another appointment and was told that any emmision repair facility can put a sticker om my rig but i still have to go thru them for the hi rise sticker.he said i could even go to a regular inspection station for the regular sticker(why didnt he tell me this in the beginning????)
ill give you an update when i go back.
im curious about what would have happened if i went to the regular insp 1st.would they give me a regular sticker just for checking the emmissions?
could i have done this and then gone to hi rise later?

Well, that depends...if it already has a highrise sticker on it, you'll get kicked back to them. That said, there is a lot of confusion and overlapping interests that are in play here, which I am not going into...it would just take up an entire damned page...I've dealt with one station that had a highrise , and their scale was broken...constantly...so, I had to schedule to go to another to finally get mine. With the emission-only setup they have now, I would have tried that first before setting up for a highrise..., and waited to see if they made you go there....the guys running the regular lines may not know nor longer care if you need to do that.

he told me that this changed just recently within the past few weeks.when i 1st went thru nealy a month ago he told me that i had to get both stickers from him. i passed for hi rise but failed the standing sniffer test.when i failed for emmissions he put a small rejected sticker over my expired ones.when i called just 3 days ago and told him that i had someone who was a state repair facility hook my rig up and check it(the #s came up well within the limits without doing anything)he asked me if he put a good hirise sticker on my rig.i said no because he said he would do both when i came back????
he said that he NOW would have put a good hirise sticker on and that i could go to any state repair facility(and pay)or go to any state inspection station for the other sticker.

Has anyone made it through the normal inspection with a lifted truck without going through the hi lift.

My inspection is up in February and I was going to try to go through the normal inspection to avoid the hi lift. I have 4.5" lift with 32" tires. I was planning on swapping my tires with 30 inch tires instead. I know I am supposed to go through the hi lift but I was hoping the people might not know the exact height or think anything of it.

My other option would be taking it to a shop to get the inspection sticker. I doubt they know too much about the hi lift.

Just curious what you guys have experienced.

Has anyone made it through the normal inspection with a lifted truck without going through the hi lift.

My inspection is up in February and I was going to try to go through the normal inspection to avoid the hi lift. I have 4.5" lift with 32" tires. I was planning on swapping my tires with 30 inch tires instead. I know I am supposed to go through the hi lift but I was hoping the people might not know the exact height or think anything of it.

My other option would be taking it to a shop to get the inspection sticker. I doubt they know too much about the hi lift.

I went through a year ago or so with 4.5 inches of lift and 31s and cleared it by a half an inch. I believe the measure to the bottom of the door and it has to be under 26 inches but im not positive and it could have changed. however, that was with the old inspection set up, so im not sure what the new one is going to say

I went through the day they changed to emissions only as that was when my inspection was up. Have an RE 3.5 that nets closer to 4.5 and they didn't say anything. They didn't measure or ask any questions.

Dunno about the 26 inch mark, all I do know is that the maximum in the high lift for a Cherokee to the bottom of the door is 29 inches.....and DO NOT try to push that if it is a "sport"....Sports are actually 1" lower than regular in stock form, ...even though it sounds ridiculous, you will get banged for it...take the emblems off, they cant tell by the VIN...(in case you do have to go to HIlift).

Dunno about the 26 inch mark, all I do know is that the maximum in the high lift for a Cherokee to the bottom of the door is 29 inches.....and DO NOT try to push that if it is a "sport"....Sports are actually 1" lower than regular in stock form, ...even though it sounds ridiculous, you will get banged for it...take the emblems off, they cant tell by the VIN...(in case you do have to go to HIlift).

like i said i may be wrong. 26 just sticks out in my head. it very well could be less

Thought it was 30", when I went through...

That may have been in the 'old days' when they allowed space for the 'springs to settle', though.

I thought it was always based off the tallest stock configuration - which would have been the upcountry, maybe that's where the difference was from?

Thought it was 30", when I went through...

That may have been in the 'old days' when they allowed space for the 'springs to settle', though.

I thought it was always based off the tallest stock configuration - which would have been the upcountry, maybe that's where the difference was from?

30" would be the right measurement, but...I was asked if mine was a "sport"...which led them to the 29" limit in their "reference book"..we all know the chassis is the same regardless, but at least at the Ancora station, that difference mattered in 2008. they would have held me to 29" if I let on that it was a "sport" model...took a heat gun to the stickers, and no one was the wiser....

I just went through a couple weeks ago. 4.5" long arm with ACOS giving me about 6" and 33s. No questions, no high lift, just breezed right on through. (Inspection section was on the 38 near Pemberton)

30" would be the right measurement, but...I was asked if mine was a "sport"...which led them to the 29" limit in their "reference book"..we all know the chassis is the same regardless, but at least at the Ancora station, that difference mattered in 2008. they would have held me to 29" if I let on that it was a "sport" model...took a heat gun to the stickers, and no one was the wiser....
that's wacky. Parts catalogs and inspections people think the body trim means all sorts of things it doesn't... I have had the catalogs tell me their tranny cooler lines won't fit a random-year sport but will fit most others.

Any idea what happens when you say it's an UpCountry equipped XJ that had a 1" higher limit from the factory? Do their brains explode when they can't find it in the list of trim levels they think matter?

I just went through a couple weeks ago. 4.5" long arm with ACOS giving me about 6" and 33s. No questions, no high lift, just breezed right on through. (Inspection section was on the 38 near Pemberton)

This is good to know, I am in the process of getting mine lifted with a Rough Country 4.5" x-series lift. Not sure on the tires as it will be my daily driver and it has the D35 in it for now until I can get the money to get a
8.25 diff. Still debating if I should get 31's or 32's.

that's wacky. Parts catalogs and inspections people think the body trim means all sorts of things it doesn't... I have had the catalogs tell me their tranny cooler lines won't fit a random-year sport but will fit most others.

Any idea what happens when you say it's an UpCountry equipped XJ that had a 1" higher limit from the factory? Do their brains explode when they can't find it in the list of trim levels they think matter?

this is NJ, everything is goofy...with an upcountry, I suppose you may get away with 31" to the door bottom if that trim level is in the "book"....and there is a "book"...I watched the guy riffle thru it.
Rich

Back