• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New IRO 4.5" Spring Pack + Add-a-Leaf?

As stated many times in this thread and 1k's of times on NAXJA, you can "tweak" springs with shackle lengths and go even further with shackles angles with SRB's. Don't sweat anything until you get them mounted a see what you have to start with!

Whelp..

Got them mounted with extended shackles, torqued on the ground with tires on and re-greased the bolts.. took very little but no surprise there.
I measured axle to 'frame' and compared with pre-swap OME 3.5" measurements on the same extended shackles, and gained exactly 1"; from 3.5" to 4.5", exactly what I had hoped. Shackle angle is not optimum but 15* to the rear so not 90* anyway, and as stated, I can further tune that with SF SRB if I feel the need.
Pinion angle with the same 4* shims went from 2.5* to 3*.

Took it for a spin around the hood on the same streets with cracked pavement where I notice my snap-crackle-pop on the old setup - that and washboards on the dirt. It's nearly completely gone.. like 99% so I'm very pleased so far.

I'll drive it a bit, get it out on the trail, check torque and re-measure to see where it's at then determine what to do up front. It is a little forward raked now but I expected and hoped for that. Plan is to go with Metalcloak progressive 4.5" coils (no spacers) and CAD.

Yup, I'm smilin'. Thanks folks!

Gained 1" fender clearance obviously.
35s might be coming bit I like the torque band on 33s.
ec2cb73b43cea93727cd054a9f64c97e.jpg

The forward rake is not at all visible in this picture, which is probably the ugliest picture I've ever taken of this thing.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Again
b1cd87c486a0a7990fd0f9ce182c341a.jpg

Kinda beggin' for 35s in this look. Have a couple buddies with some laying around I can test fit/drive.

Last edited:
Looks pretty good, need some better pics out in the light on level ground!

Nice to hear the improved ride. I guess you need to toss a bunch of gear in it to see how it handles that?

The ride wasn't so much improved as the lack of sound, but it does feel a bit more solid, not rough, not squishy. Loaded the spare tire and 2 full RotoPax on it just now and lost 3/4" at the fenders. Will do the rest of the gear tomorrow, maybe a cleanup and some flexing/measuring for bumpstops beside the shop.
Ya, and better pictures, including shackle angle.

Better pic.
fea951f0a96a0418336af5e30af366ce.jpg

That looks great, do you have it loaded down with all of the weight you would normally carry?

That looks great, do you have it loaded down with all of the weight you would normally carry?
Just the spare tire and full Rotos. Will add the other stuff later but thinking since I rarely have rear seat passengers, I'll reconfigure and get my bag of recovery gear, cooler on the rear seat floor. COG & weight in front of the axles. Yup will secure it.

It might be begging for 35s..

Now just get it out on the trail to see how it performs. Bring it back and see how it sits. Get a pic of your shackle angle to see where to go from there.

Might get it out later today with the gang after helping a buddy with Tacoma crawler maintenance.

Now just get it out on the trail to see how it performs. Bring it back and see how it sits. Get a pic of your shackle angle to see where to go from there.

Yea! Shackle angle,... what does it look like? Better yet, take pictures.

What length shackles are installed?

Double check:. What's the correct torque spec for front mount of rear leaf spring to frame (XJ)?

From my 2000 FSM..............

DESCRIPTION TORQUE
Shock Absorber
Upper Bolt . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 23 N·m (17 ft. lbs.)
Lower Nut . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 62 N·m (46 ft. lbs.)
Stabilizer Bar
Clamp Bolt . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 54 N·m (40 ft. lbs.)
Link Upper Bolt . . . . . . . . . . . 12 N·m (9 ft. lbs.)
Link Lower Nut . . . . . . . . . . . 74 N·m (55 ft. lbs.)
Spring
U-Bolt Nut . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 70 N·m (52 ft. lbs.)
Front Pivot Bolt . . . . . . . . . 156 N·m (115 ft. lbs.)
Upper Shackle Bolt . . . . . . 156 N·m (115 ft. lbs.)
Lower Shackle Bolt . . . . . . . 108 N·m (80 ft. lbs.)

From my 2000 FSM..............

DESCRIPTION TORQUE
Shock Absorber
Upper Bolt . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 23 N·m (17 ft. lbs.)
Lower Nut . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 62 N·m (46 ft. lbs.)
Stabilizer Bar
Clamp Bolt . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 54 N·m (40 ft. lbs.)
Link Upper Bolt . . . . . . . . . . . 12 N·m (9 ft. lbs.)
Link Lower Nut . . . . . . . . . . . 74 N·m (55 ft. lbs.)
Spring
U-Bolt Nut . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 70 N·m (52 ft. lbs.)
Front Pivot Bolt . . . . . . . . . 156 N·m (115 ft. lbs.)
Upper Shackle Bolt . . . . . . 156 N·m (115 ft. lbs.)
Lower Shackle Bolt . . . . . . . 108 N·m (80 ft. lbs.)

Thanks! I got it right, mostly.

Did 115/85/55..

There'll be no 'trail testing' until our weather dries up. Rain forecast for another week it seems - very unusual around here, and when water is added to Nevada bug dust, it's a sticky mess both on the trail and under the rig. Guess I'll DD it on-road for awhile.

75* 4.75" shackle. OEM shackle 3".
fe317b4f024d38978443aa83b72dbd95.jpg

Back