• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new car time......

buy a bicycle! Pretend your legs are turbos and your inexperience and loud mouth at the prime age of 18 as the blow off valve!!

Want sweet ride look for a chevy c-10 and drop in a crate motor or build one and drive it like you stole it.

When I was your age I really wanted a Datsun 510 or a BMW 2002

The car company that really does it for me is Mazda, great cars great look comfortable quite and an absolute blast to drive. but thats my opinion its your money kid

Aren't they just rebadged Fords? Or is it the other way around?

buy a bicycle! Pretend your legs are turbos and your inexperience and loud mouth at the prime age of 18 as the blow off valve!!

Want sweet ride look for a chevy c-10 and drop in a crate motor or build one and drive it like you stole it.

damn, when you were my age... so you must be really old!

gonna call the cops of me for my music being too loud?

ford owns majority stock in mazda that being said, again shun me if you like, i wouldnt buy anything but a ford (and a jeep of course). the last real american car company. chrysler sold to fiat the US government owns majority stock in GM which is just wrong and ford is the only company that hasnt sold or even taken a bail out they've done it on there own and make a great product. Mazda does use some ford motors in their cars like the 2.3 liter in the mazda 3. again great motor. probably why Lotus uses the same motor in the Elise

Hmmm... for a DD

DDs get...
run into by stupid drivers
rotted out by salt in the wintertime
backed into by old ladies at the store
doors slammed into by stupid people
...stuff like that.

Do you really want to sink a lot of money into something that'll see that kind of stuff?

For a 'ecoturd' I'd go for a Subaru anything, preferably non-turbo for daily beater duty. AWD is great in the wintertime. A GM 3800v6 anything would be great as well. I consider the SC'd 3800s more 'modern muscle' so to speak and don't consider them to be 'daily beater' type cars, unless you get one that's cheap to buy and isn't in great shape. Ditto with the SRT-4, Cobalt SS, Ion Redline (actually faster than the SS, yes... a Saturn...). Ford Focus SVTs are pretty quick, but rare and are known to have clutch issues. A regular focus still handles like a go-kart and in my experience is alright (no muscle car, but still moves out of its own way). My buddy has a 5-door focus and I LOVE it for a daily beater.

If you want more money for the Jeep, do what I do and get a $500 craigslist car. Drive it, and if it needs anything more expensive than a set of tires sell it for $500... on craigslist. lol.

My buddy bought a civic with 100k and drove it for another 100k without ever changing the oil, just topped it off.
Did this for a while with my MJ, the oil was nice and clean, might have helped that it was losing a quart every 150-300 miles :wow: I was effectively changing 83% of the oil on schedule (when it was down to a quart every 300 miles, at a quart every 150 miles I was changing 98% of the oil), just continuously instead of all at once.

If you want more money for the Jeep, do what I do and get a $500 craigslist car. Drive it, and if it needs anything more expensive than a set of tires sell it for $500... on craigslist. lol.
X2. I like my jeeps though, so I buy 600-800 dollar ones on CL and fix em up till they're in fairly good shape. I think I have around 1200 total into my MJ now.

It does ...a modified version found in the last gen Toyota Celica GT-S

Yeah its way better than the Lotus engines they used before. They came apart at like 20k miles as opposed to 200k like a yota engine.

The BMW 2002 is an awesome car. I love Motor Trend Classic (better than the hybrid crap they talk about in the 'new car' Motor Trend.) http://www.motortrend.com/classic/wallpaper/112_1003_1972_bmw_2002tii_wallpaper_gallery/index.html

ford owns majority stock in mazda that being said, again shun me if you like, i wouldnt buy anything but a ford (and a jeep of course). the last real american car company. chrysler sold to fiat the US government owns majority stock in GM which is just wrong and ford is the only company that hasnt sold or even taken a bail out they've done it on there own and make a great product. Mazda does use some ford motors in their cars like the 2.3 liter in the mazda 3. again great motor. probably why Lotus uses the same motor in the Elise

I like Ford for this reason as well, and have tuned from GM- despite having a lot of 'blood' in GM (it goes back 3 generations of my family that have worked there, and me working at a Chevrolet dealer for a bit I could be loosely considered 4th generation).

Mazda and Ford use a lot of common engine and driveline and chassis components. Mazda suspension is set up sportier than the Fords, but I think the engines are left mostly the same, besides the chunk of plastic hiding the engine. Mazda does an excellent styling job in terms of making sure they're not confused for a Ford. Right now though, I'd buy a Ford and swap in mazda suspension bits, I'm not into the current 'smiley' look from Mazda.

Co-worker told me last night he missed out on a 123K srt4 neon for $5K. Him: "They're fast cars man", Me: "It's still a neon and what happened to them all?" He has a late 80's camaro w/ a running 305 and body in good condition. I told him he should spend $2-3K putting an LSx in there and then he could hold his own with the imports.

Last edited:
see i thought the lotus was running a ford that was last i heard i know they were running yamaha motor there for a little while. im more bummed about them running a toyota motor than a ford motor. kind of just dumbs it down to another high dollar rice rocket deffinately not a fan of high dollar rice rockets.

Then think of it as a British made track car that corners on rails and uses a fast, light, and efficient powerplant. Because it is not a rice rocket for sure.

its an awesome car i would never argue that. its the car ild drive if i had the money to go buy myself a 60-70 thousand dollar sports car. carbon fiber chasis, one of the best suspensions in the world.

Stupid question, but why don't you get another xj, just for street use? That way, you don't have to learn another architecture, all fluids and most parts are interchangable. Maybe I am just lazy...

Stupid question, but why don't you get another xj, just for street use? That way, you don't have to learn another architecture, all fluids and most parts are interchangable. Maybe I am just lazy...

That's exactly what I did. I made sure I got one with a manual tranny too so it's fun to drive. Gets 20mpg too.

(Caution: rice alert :D)
For a car you want to drive in straight lines get a honda bubble (EG hatch) with an engine swap or turbo it

For getting sideways, get a nice 240sx shell and get rid of that KA motor for a RB25DET and an Apexi exhaust and other add ons. Should be able to do it clean for under 6K :D

For getting sideways, get a nice 240sx shell and get rid of that KA motor for a RB25DET and an Apexi exhaust and other add ons. Should be able to do it clean for under 6K :D

the engine swap yes, suspension and beefing up the trans will take a bit more!

FWIW, my 3rd gen camaro helped me get alot tail in HS until their dads saw it and thought i was 20 something lol. It also might be because i was one of the 1st in my class to start driving 1/2 ways thru my soph year. Only 1 other person could beat me in my 350/700r4 combo and he drove his older brothers s10 with a built 383 or bbc, dont remember. That camaro was alot of fun but not practical for me for college so i got an XJ! bad idea on my part lol

acura integra type r,subaru wrx(start saving for head gaskets),mazda 3 or speed3,audi a4, volvo s60,ford focus svt,mitsubishi evo,what ever you want they are all gonna have issues and most likely be beat to hell in that price range.
CHEAP,FAST,RELIABLE PICK 2

Back