• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Bumper Design?

FIREBLADE

NAXJA Forum User
My buddy is looking to start maunfacturing armor for XJ's. What do you guys want in a bumper or like in a bumper? BTW, he is not going to be making bumpers like ARB that are plate steel, he will be only making them out of round and square tube only.

The ideal bumper would be an honest fairly cheap winch bumper. Stuff like ARB and WARn are way over priced. I have seen some decent ones around $350-$400. It would be sweet to see a decent winch bumper around $250.

If he will only use round or square section steel then he should consider making them hold air. Primary reason why I built my own front bumper and building my rear.

My front holds 5 gal of air, rear holds about 7 gal.
100 different people will want 100 different designs. Build a small selection for people to choose from. Build with or without brush guards.

My requirements when I built mine were like this:
1. High clearance.
2. Strong.
3. 2" receiver front and rear.
4. winch receiver ready (my receiver winch sits on top of the bumper).
5. holds air.
6. two tow points (not under the bumper, and not hooks).
7. reasonable weight (mine is less than 100lbs).
8. Brush guards will protect lights, winch, grill.
9. Mounts act as a steering box brace.

Hope that helps,
Michael

I would like to see bumpers that still follow the body lines, particularly the wrap around on the corners, but give more clearance and can hold a rear tire carrier. Must have recievers front and rear, or winch mount front.

Able to hold a winch, but not have it stick out so far. Similar to the Loose Nuts design.
Lots of mounting locations, ie not stock holes.
Steering box brace incorporated into bumper
Tabs for lights

I would like a stinger that wouldn't reduced the approach angle, kept a wedge design to "steer" you through tight trails, intigrated skid, winch capable, prerunner look. Check out TNT and Four Real steel to figure out what I'm talkin about

It comes from being approached on the trail being asked to develope
something affordable.......over & over...

The BackBone itself, is a pretty 'core'......granted, your factory skin is not,
but it was developed and intended to be a base.......build from it, either
with our pre-runner 6 months later when your wallet allows....or build your
own full bumper off of it.......bottom line, affordable winch mount with most of the goodies!

Detour said:
Its one thing to make a winch bumper for a friend or 2 for $250, its another
if your friend plans to exist off of them and likes to eat.

This is as close as we can get to that number and still keep the lights on.

http://www.detoursusa.com/xjbackbone.php

Wow guys, great looking stuff once again. :repair:

AJs new "Hanson style" bumper is by far my favorite.

That backbone, does it mount to the stock bumper. Also, is it very sturdy/strong? Or is is mostly for looks? I mean I have seen some that mount to frame, to me that seems more strudy/strong. However, i am no expert. How functionable is it? Not trying to down it. I think it looks good. Just curious. After all, it is my kind of price atm. LOL

Thanks,
Silent

Silent said:
That backbone, does it mount to the stock bumper. Also, is it very sturdy/strong? Or is is mostly for looks? I mean I have seen some that mount to frame, to me that seems more strudy/strong. However, i am no expert. How functionable is it? Not trying to down it. I think it looks good. Just curious. After all, it is my kind of price atm. LOL

Thanks,
Silent

Did oyu see the guys link? His pics show how it mounts to the unibody.

Ok, did some reading. st00pid me. I see how it mounts. I guess my question still stands for the prerunner style bar up front. That is what I was refering to. It looks like it is bolted to the stock bumper. How sturdy/strong is that? That is what I meant to ask. Sorry for confusion/double post.

Thanks,
Silent

Silent,

What you 'cant' see in the pic's are the 2 bars off the prerunner which
extend back behind the farelead.......so, as far as 'most' prerunner bars
go, which dont infact do this........it holds up pretty damn good judging by
what its been thru thus far....

I've been asked....so let me clear it up.....the prerunner setup is ment to
be used with the BackBone, its not a 'stand alone' piece. It does add a'bit
of.....'juice' to a stock bumper skin.

Back