• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new bumper comment/criticism

Spinnaker

NAXJA Forum User
Building my first bumpers and am wanting ideas and criticism on how its going...

SANY1812.jpg

SANY1810.jpg

SANY1811.jpg

SANY1814.jpg

SANY1816.jpg

SANY1818.jpg

Any input, thoughts, or ideas would be awesome....

thanks,

-PJ-

looks good. kinda looks like the start of a bull bar.. Are you gonna hide a winch in there or tie in some grill protection?

its a bit big i would of trimmed it up. closer to the grill smaller face angle to corners would be much more close to 2"tall at the ends. its a good start.

First of all i appriciate all the comments.

Yes I am going to car the ends.

The shackels are just tack welded to get the look of the way it will be. i
plan to use tie-ins when i weld them up.

Rammin-I was going to hide a winch but decided to mount it on top, i
plan to cut out the grill just a little but and inset the winch in. As for the
grill pertection i plan on building a stinger/hoop/lightbar and run some
light pertection off those.

Mopar- I plan on butting lighs and what not on the bumper it
self and thus it will look normal...to an extent.

Justin- I plan on building my own out of 3/8 X 6" plate sort like AJs
tie-ins for the bumper.

just keep those comments and ideas coming...

-PJ-

it's big! I love it! Do you plan on putting a Winch on there with all that space on top?
How is your aproach angle, with that thing hanging down? Maybe get a side shot?

Approach angle is no good, I know you can do a better job. Cut the bottom out and angle it so your approach angle is much better. You may not think it is a big deal now, but remember NWF 08? The sami didn't have a problem on moon rocks but the larger XJ's were hung up very easily. Let me know if you are confused about what I am saying.

-Alex

Approach angle is no good, I know you can do a better job. Cut the bottom out and angle it so your approach angle is much better. You may not think it is a big deal now, but remember NWF 08? The sami didn't have a problem on moon rocks but the larger XJ's were hung up very easily. Let me know if you are confused about what I am saying.

-Alex

agreed otherwise its lookin good a little to big for me but good

Aside from the approach angle, what about the weight of it. Mine is slimmer than that and really pulls the front of my jeep down especially with a winch. A little weight loss might be good.

That's pretty big. X2 on what Alex and some other guy said. See if you can whittle down some of the mass off of the bottom surfaces, improve your approach angle and reduce some weight. I'd also look into doing a drop for the winch plate, maybe 2-3" worth. This will also allow you to tie-in the winch plate with some gusseting and multi weld planes as opposed to just having it yarding off of that top plate. It also gives a little more airflow clearance to the radiator with the winch down a few inches.

It actually looks pretty good on the whole, it's just bigger and boxier than it could be.

Is the rear of the bumper enclosed? You might be able to cut some lightening holes in the back side, unless you're trying to seal it up.

Also might want to consider a shackle eye instead of the tie down bracket for recovery points. With the pivoting D-ring, you're going to have to carry a shackle or hook to connect a strap anyway.

Keep it coming,

I think for now i will leave the bumper the way it is so i can have a decent bumper
for recovery and such....in the future I plan on going with something a little
more....approach angle friendly...
But i think for now i ill keep it the way it is....since i don't have the equipment or resources to cut the bumper in half and take a section out.

-PJ-

Keep it coming,

I think for now i will leave the bumper the way it is so i can have a decent bumper
for recovery and such....in the future I plan on going with something a little
more....approach angle friendly...
But i think for now i ill keep it the way it is....since i don't have the equipment or resources to cut the bumper in half and take a section out.

-PJ-

All around it's a good home made bumper!

I agree with others and think that the bumper is too big. It stick out too far and is too tall in general and especially since this is a non-winch bumper.

With that said, its got a good shape to it and I like the way it looks.

I agree with others and think that the bumper is too big. It stick out too far and is too tall in general and especially since this is a non-winch bumper.

With that said, its got a good shape to it and I like the way it looks.

It actually is a winch bumper but I haven't a winch to put in it yet.

-PJ-

Back