• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need to get back into Systems Admin Job!

Mudderoy

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone out there work in I.T.?

I worked 16 years at one company as a systems admin and networking admin. I guess my salary was too high, so right before my review they offered me a package.

Here I am 5 years later making $30k less per year and hating my pseudo-I.T. job. You know the one where you have to work with computers, do all the stuff you did before but when you need something shutdown, reset, etc... you have to open a ticket for I.T. to take 5 hours to do something you could do in 2.5 seconds?

Anyway my point is I have a lot of experience and I keep applying for I.T. jobs but get very few calls, and fewer interviews. Maybe it's my resume, maybe it's the wrong experience. I was thinking about splitting up my resume into a Systems Admin and a Networking Admin. I have zero certifications, so I was thinking about getting some.

I've worked with Linux since about 1998, Windows NT and 2000, some 2003.

Should I go for the Linux cert or get into the crowd of the folks with the MS certs?

All my networking was on CISCO routers, frame relay and standard point to point circuits. Checkpoint and PIX firewalls. This was on a 4000+ user network. Primary systems were Open VMS and UNIX. I had a UNIX admin, so I never really did anything on that. The Open VMS, Windows, and LINUX servers were my main domain.

I guess working at one job so long was a bad thing. I find it easy to work with the electronic stuff, but difficult to work at getting a job. Any advice would be great! (It should pay more and I can buy more Jeep parts!) party1:

I forgot to mention I'm in the Houston Texas area.

Last edited:
Its a bad time to be looking for an IT job. Not as bad as say, 2002, but still not great.

What search engines are you using? I've got a couple of friends who have been job hunting in Dallas and Houston, and while they don't have recruiters fighting over them, they aren't having a hard time getting interviews.

They are however, looking for something like what you have - senior level jobs at senior level pay are hard to come by right now.

Have you applied over at BMC? From what I remember they seemed to always be hiring (haven't been down there in over a decade).

Maybe your résumé needs some peer review.

Root Moose said:
Have you applied over at BMC? From what I remember they seemed to always be hiring (haven't been down there in over a decade).

I came pretty close at BMC, really thought I had it. The job went to someone that had my experience plus mainframe. :p

Keep applying (if you aren't already). Résumés normally only stay in the corp systems for 4-6 months and then get circular filed.

If you refresh or change the style of your résumé send it again right away.

Btw: don't be afraid to apply for a sales engineer job either. It'll get you inside and you can move after that if it isn't your thing. I disliked it personally but it had its advantages.

cal said:
Its a bad time to be looking for an IT job. Not as bad as say, 2002, but still not great.

What search engines are you using? I've got a couple of friends who have been job hunting in Dallas and Houston, and while they don't have recruiters fighting over them, they aren't having a hard time getting interviews.

They are however, looking for something like what you have - senior level jobs at senior level pay are hard to come by right now.

lol, 2002 was when I got dumped from my 16 years job. I don't need senior level position. Mid level and mid level pay would be fine. I was out of work for 11 months, I took a 50% cut in pay. Maybe my resume says senior and that is the problem. I'd be fine with $55k.

cal said:

monster.com mainly.

Root Moose said:

I'm happy to share my resume with anyone that would like to see it. Just PM me and I'll e-mail it to you. Thanks!

Glenn B said:
Also try www.indeed.com for your searches.

I agree with Glenn, Indeed is a great site, they compile postings from a bunch of different sites including monster. You can search by job, location and also you can go through and search through there category and under each category is a list of the different jobs. Give it a look it will definitely be a good tool!

HeavyT said:
I agree with Glenn, Indeed is a great site, they compile postings from a bunch of different sites including monster. You can search by job, location and also you can go through and search through there category and under each category is a list of the different jobs. Give it a look it will definitely be a good tool!

Great, thanks!

dice.com > monster.com

Send me your resume for a quick once over.

cal at tits-and-ascii.com

Well so far I have heard from a president of a small company in Austin about a performance tuning job at a lab at HP.

Yesterday I got a call from an HR person from a local hospital. In the voice mail he said he saw my resume on dice.com.

Thanks guys! Having a new job would be great, but having HOPE is just as important.

The company I work for is needing people.

sending PM to you.

Back