• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help...

LiquidOps said:
Thanks for the info man...

I've been warned to not go to the 3 core though... too tight of a fit?

Yes no?

Steven
2 core will flow better and 3 core have been known to have loose solder problems.

Wouldnt lose solder problems be a manufacturer thing and not a 3 core thing?

cal said:
Wouldnt lose solder problems be a manufacturer thing and not a 3 core thing?
yeah it is but it's most commonly found in the 3 core radiators ;) I have never heard of anyone with a 2 core one having that problem.

I've only heard of that problem with jeeps. ;) Maybe its the manufacturer.

I've bought 3-4 3 core and 2 4 core rad's over the past several years and never seen that problem.

3 cores more prone to having solder loose in them....this is how damn internet rumors start.

The amount of cores plays NO part in the chances of having shit in your pipes. Buying a el cheapo shitbox mexican GDI unit on the other hand really raises your odds of having problems. Find a nice Modine 2 core.

Come on Remi, i expected more from you then that.

sintax said:
3 cores more prone to having solder loose in them....this is how damn internet rumors start.

The amount of cores plays NO part in the chances of having shit in your pipes. Buying a el cheapo shitbox mexican GDI unit on the other hand really raises your odds of having problems. Find a nice Modine 2 core.

Come on Remi, i expected more from you then that.
Well... we're talking about 1800 radiator and I will have to say that all I know of are problem radiators coming out of there. In any case the fact that the 3 core has narrower passages it raises the likelyhood of clogging, but yes, you're right cheap radiators definately contribute to the problem.

their 3 core may have narrower passeges, but i wouldnt call that statement entirely accurate. The times i have watched them be built, they use the same cores and different bowls for 2,3,4 and 5.

-c

cal said:
Get all of your parts, and talk to me about a date. If needs be, i may be able to provide a location as well.

As far as a radiator goes, call "Gary's Radiator" in fullerton. He can build to oem spec or custom, i've had a few done there for some muscle cars or full size trucks i built before jeeps caught my eye.

Gary's Radiator Service, "A great place to take a Leak" (since 1954)
225 W. Truslow, Fullerton (off of Highland), 714-526-3367
Radiators, Air Conditioning. Accepts VISA/Master

-C

:thumbup: to Gary's.

He did some R&R to my A/C system.

Yeah, Gary does them good. He's done some nice custom stuff for me in the past.

Today is the day!!!

w00t... time to get this Jeep back up and runnin :)

wish me happy wrenching... and a huge huge thanks to Cal

Steven

Kejtar said:
Sounds like you'll be up and running by Big Bear ;) :)

ok... so here's the update... :gonnablow :passgas:

Put a new head on, gaskets, plugs wires, hoses, radiator, t-stat, fricken everything you could think of...

Fired right up... w00t.... :sunshine:

Temp gauge climbed right up and pegged...

Ran a few tests...

Seems to be a bad water pump (the only thing we didn't replace)

So that's what we're doing Monday after work....

bah... a full day of :repair: and still more stuff....

:explosion

Steven

Just thinking of other ideas....

did you make sure you got ALLLLLL of the air out of the system? That can cause that as well. I would have replaced the water pump while i was in there anyways. The ASC (or ACS dont remember what it was) at autozone was super cheap and had a lifetime warrenty on it.

Good luck!

LiquidOps said:
ok... so here's the update... :gonnablow :passgas:

Put a new head on, gaskets, plugs wires, hoses, radiator, t-stat, fricken everything you could think of...

Fired right up... w00t.... :sunshine:

Temp gauge climbed right up and pegged...

Ran a few tests...

Seems to be a bad water pump (the only thing we didn't replace)

So that's what we're doing Monday after work....

bah... a full day of :repair: and still more stuff....

:explosion

Steven

This is an open system, and is not quite as prone to air pocket problems.. but the system was pushing next to no water at all. After five or six minutes of running the lower hose was still full of cold water, and the upper was only slightly burning hot. :)

cal said:
This is an open system, and is not quite as prone to air pocket problems.. but the system was pushing next to no water at all. After five or six minutes of running the lower hose was still full of cold water, and the upper was only slightly burning hot. :)
You guys put a new radiator in? Any chance it's restricting the flow?

That was a thought yes, but I ran the full flow of a garden hose through it (in upper house, out lower hose) without any restriction.. that should at *least* keep it cool at idle..

well, as far as we can tell at this point, the temp sending unit is bad. it still screams that its overheating three minutes after you fire it up, but with no thermostat in it and magnificant flow, you can touch your tongue to the radiator cap or therm housing .. and it still reads 280 inside. :)

Jeeps running good, liquidops drove it home with no problems, and is putting a new sending unit on his immediate list.

*sigh*

it was fine when we put it all together saturday, i just trusted the freaking guage.

Glad to know your junks back on the road now LO .. now go get a better rear end, some rock sliders, and new front axle shafts with ujoints that arent worn out. :)

-C

well, i was thinking "i dont have a candy thermometer handy .. what would remi do?" ..

so the tongue it was.

Back