• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help! $

Lumberton, NC.
Exit 17-22 on I-95
About 15 minutes from SC

Yea not too far from me. If I wasn't busy as hell till after June 6th I'd ride up there on a Saturday or Sunday and see if I could help you with it. Post some pictures of what you are talking about but I think the rear piece holds all that in place.

When you put the tail housing on, the the yoke and nut it should pull the shaft to the correct position to mate with the pump. Measure the fully compressed stick out of the shaft when compared to the rear case half, then also when fully extended. Lay the case flat as it would be nstalled in the vehicle, then dry fit all the components. Then remeasure your shaft height. I'm thinking you'll be ok when it's all together, but verify verify verify before running it. It will probably be a good idea to do your final assembly with it laying flat, that way you can pull the shaft out to mate with the splines before buttoning it all up.

Last edited:
Oh, and IIRC there's a snap ring that goes in the tail housing somewhere that positively locates the shaft. You'll have to forgo my sketchy memory, as it's been a couple of years since I've done one, but if it were right in front of me I'd know exactly what was going on. That's the bad part about internet diagnosis, I suppose lol

Oh, and IIRC there's a snap ring that goes in the tail housing somewhere that positively locates the shaft. You'll have to forgo my sketchy memory, as it's been a couple of years since I've done one, but if it were right in front of me I'd know exactly what was going on. That's the bad part about internet diagnosis, I suppose lol

x2! I forgot about that snap ring.....

My stock shaft had 3 rings.
1. (Med size)Held the gear in place about middle of shaft.
2. (Small)Held shaft in housing near rear yoke and bearing.
3. (Large)same as 2

The new megashort requires #1 to be reused but 2 and 3 are replaced with new housing that already has bearing and rings installed.

I wonder if tightening the new rear yoke to the shaft is what pulled it into place?

If that's the case, the rearmost output shaft bearing's ID race would tighten against shoulder on the shaft when the whole assembly (shaft, tone ring, bearing, housing , yoke & nut) is put together. It may be the regular SYE & normal slip yoke that I'm thinking about with the clip. Regardless.....pics will do us a lot more good that just trying to visualize it in our pea-brains.

Try this just for giggles.....

Take the shaft out of the t-case and assemble your whole SYE kit on the work bench, then slide the pump onto the backside of the tail housing. This should give you a fairly good idea if the pump will engage the shaft splines when it's all put together. Report back with your findings.

THis is the standard length SYE but you get the point.

231%20SYE%20(38).jpg

This is the new shaft sitting in closed case with oil pump. Grooves on shaft don't reach oil pump teeth.

This shaft with sporal grooves is the stock shaft. It doesn't reach the oil pump either?

This is the stock housing. There was 2 snap rings. One small ring around the shaft and a bigger ring clipped inside the housing. They kept the shaft in a certain position inside the housing.

This is the new Mega Short sye housing. You can see the snap ring already in place. The instructions say the rings and bearing are already installed.

Pump goes inside the back half of the case IIRC.

I'm obviously not up to speed on how all this goes together but the new housing has the pockets/notches for the oil pump to go on the outside of case and sandwiched between case and output shaft housing and yoke? The stock set up had pump outside of case and sandwiched between case and housing also?

Pretty sure the tangs sit outside the rear case half and locate in the recesses on the tail cone like you're thinking. Sorry I can't be of any more help here; it's just one of those things I'd have to have my hands on.

Pretty sure the tangs sit outside the rear case half and locate in the recesses on the tail cone like you're thinking. Sorry I can't be of any more help here; it's just one of those things I'd have to have my hands on.

Your orientation is correct like Mike said, with the tangs on the outside. It is a booger to get the pump pickup tube inserted into the pump and keeping it there while putting everything together.

My mistake. It's been a long time sense I was in one of these. I'm a better hands on tinker with it person. lol!

Pull both shafts out and lay them on the bench side by side and take a picture of them. Post it here. I'm guessing you have a snap ring in the wrong place?

I, too, need to put my hands on it...

Back