• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help removing oil filter base bolt.

JeffU

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 XJ 4.0. It has the very typical leak at the base of the oil filter mount. I read through previous posts and decided I could handle the repair at my next oil change. I purchased a socket with the correct torx and removed it from the socket. I than used a wrench on the torx bit with about a 3 ft. piece of cast iron pipe over the wrench. The damn bolt would not move at all. Anyone have another idea on removing the mounting bolt ?

Did you cuss it yet? I usually find an extended string of unrepentant profanities greatly assist in removing stubborn bolts. Seriously thought. If you searched, you saw the PITA it can be. NO major suggestions beyond trying a cheater bar / extension.
BSD

I should market this! Try a longer breaker bar if your truck is high enough. SLow even pressure. It will turn!
DSC03279.jpg

BSD said:
Did you cuss it yet? I usually find an extended string of unrepentant profanities greatly assist in removing stubborn bolts. Seriously thought. If you searched, you saw the PITA it can be. NO major suggestions beyond trying a cheater bar / extension.
BSD

yes, I tried lots of cussing. No help !

d10shun ,
Thank you for the pic. Looks like a good idea. Did you cut the ends off the wrenches to fit into a piece of pipe ?And should I try going to a 4 or 5 ft pipe ? And yes maybe you should market it !

One wrench works for me! Didn't need a pipe. Maybe get a really strong friend to try it. :laugh3:
DSCF0021.jpg

Looks like we've got the same idea 'round here. (pffft...looks like we've got the same countertop, too)

t60.jpg

Pop that puppy out of the Torx socket and then hold it with one or two wrenches. A little duct tape does a good job of holding parts in place too...

t60_wrench.jpg

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/filter.html

Jim

If all else fails, you can get them loose using an air chisel. Just hit it in a way that it will want to spin loose...if that makes sense. My bolt got stripped out from trying several combinations of wrenches and bars. Broke most of them before finally making the hole nice and round. Used the air chisel as a last resort and she came loose. Grabbed a new bolt from Jeep and the rest was cake. You SHOULD be able to get it with the above methods though. Including, and most importantly, the cursing method. Mine was the only one Ive ever worked on that was so stubborn.

Justin

Back