• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need advice on tool selection for school in the fall

Ahh, gotcha. The m54a2. Thought we were talking XJ / MJ bolts, was trying to think WTF you had under yours that a 1/2" gun wouldn't do.

I would not recommend mac to anyone, just my opinion though. Personnally I like matco and snap-on, but I am finding out that most snap-on dealers are pushy and I don't like pushy salesmen. I am now paying off my old snap-on guy and will not buy much from them anymore, I will buy mostly matco. If you buy sockets from a matco guy, buy the gray pneumatic(sp?) sockets they are lifetime warrantied just like everything else and are quite a bit less. I am a tech at a gm dealer and I have a craftsman box, but need a bigger one, and it works for me. If you have the money and want a great box, buy matco. They are less than snap-on, and are deaper also, and are stronger to boot.

Snap-On.

From 1976 until 1995 used Snap-On daily. They are still in use as weekend warriors and still holding up.

I have a sprinkling of MAC & MATCO Tools but those trucks never seemed to remain in business and so I couldn't get the tools serviced, repaired or warranted. There was always a Snap-On dealer truck weekly at the two shops I worked at in those 18 years.

just out of curiosity, what school is he going to? Im at Penn college of technology now and Snap-On is the big one here.

Ehh. Around here, Snap-On has terrible service - Mac and Matco stop by my shop every week though. Snap makes great tools but IMHO you need to buy the tools that will be supported in your neck of the woods. A 130 dollar ratchet doesn't make you any money when it's frozen in place. Neither do my Craftsman, come to think of it.

i have over $60,000 worth of Matco tools and tool boxes. worth every penney. i've never experienced better service either. snap-on reps are always pushy, and the few i've dealt with have actually played with (added charges) onto people's accounts. i started off with the Craftsman 200 piece "mechanics" toolset. it was a great starting set, and was quite reasonable. then just started upgrading along the way. i was a Mercedes tech for 8 years.

Is he planning on being a mechanic after he graduates, or sit behind a desk and use his tools on weekends?

If he is going to be using the tools everyday, get the good stuff.

If he isn't planning on making a living with his tools, and just needs them to get through school then craftsmans are a good choice.

If he is not regularly buying new tools off the tool truck in the future, they are not going to be too excited to warranty his stuff. Not to mention that it is difficult to find them if you are not working at a shop.

If he is only using his tools on the weekend, it is a lot easier to find a sears to warranty a tool that breaks or get one you need than to find a tool truck when you need one.

I went through a similar program, and now my tools only get used on my vehicles. Craftsman tools have served me well for that purpose.

Back