• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need advice on buying niche tools for my Jeep DIYs

Status
Not open for further replies.
home depot channel lock brand vice grips are great. i would buy multiple sizes but im wierd like that.

I used to despise the spring type hose clamps, whrn i,was using channel locks to remove them.

I love them now that i have the cable type pliers, much faster than a worm drive clamp

Exactly. The simple fact is that it will take 1 hour to remove a hose clamp without the proper tool. You can't even get pliers down in there. Those cable based clamp pliers are the best $30 I will ever spend to replace my radiator.

I wouldn't trust a 20 year old spring clamp personally. I personally use a 1/4" drive air ratchet with a 5/16 socket and hose clamps are a breeze. I get that it is easier with the tool. but I have never had one take an hour.

Exactly. The simple fact is that it will take 1 hour to remove a hose clamp without the proper tool. You can't even get pliers down in there. Those cable based clamp pliers are the best $30 I will ever spend to replace my radiator.

An HOUR???

:roflmao:

Even the worst ones only take around 5 minutes with a pair of channel locks.

An HOUR???

:roflmao:

Even the worst ones only take around 5 minutes with a pair of channel locks.

The worst ones I've dealt with take about 20 minutes with a Dremel - just cut the damned things off.

Hitting the hex head on a worm drive clamp isn't a problem, as long as the knuckle is positioned properly. Worst case, I have to get out my 1/4" socket wrench extensions (but I've got probably three feet worth, so that's just a matter of going over to the drawer.)

You can get a worm drive clamp off in a minute by grabbing the worm drive with linemans and twisting it until it breaks off the strap. May not be suitable for brittle plastic parts but it has always worked for me.

some of them are brittle aluminum parts instead.

I don't mind either type.

I kept the stock spring type clamps on my Dodge since they still work fine and are easily accessible.

I bought some t-bolt ones for my MJ along with some worm drive ones. They were just cheaper and fit a variety of sizes rather than just one size.

If I can do a job for less than a shop would charge, even after buying tools specifically to do that job, I call it a win. I use Knipex pliers for the clamps, but if those work for you, good enough. :thumbup:

Can someone tell me where to get a "good enough" pair of Vice Grips?
Also, I think I need a Channel lock or slip joint. Anyone suggest an all-purpose one?

I buy 98% of my tools from OSH or Sears. I buy mostly Craftsman. Half the price as Snapon and Matco and they have the same warranty. As for Vise Grips I would just run Vise Grip brand. I just run Craftsman channel locks, but I'm sure HF ones would work practically the same. As for sizes I would look at most of the jobs you will do with them and find a size that will do all. If you have a little more money to spend get 2 or 3 different sizes.

Channel locks? for a car? Keep those for when you gotta do plumbing work on your home.... channel locks only strip shit, and put sharp teeth marks into anything they touch. I understand that sometimes you gotta be creative, but i would not recommend those for automotive work.

http://www.toolfetch.com/media/41697.jpg
Everytime i see these in the summit catalog, i cannot help but laugh. If i saw someone in the pit crew with those, i would keep driving...

Vice grips are much better, they will create the problems listed above, but you can get them to lock in place TIGHTLY, unlike the channel locks that require your forearms to grip. (and then slip)

FYI, just to update this thread, the above advice was wrong.
The last 2 jobs I attempted both required channel locks.

1) Front shock. You need a huge channel lock to hold the shock in place while you turn the top bolt.

2) Radiator hose. I moved the hose off the thermostat housing, so the 2 claws expanded beyond the length of my hose clamp tool. They were almost 3 inches apart. You needed a very wide channel lock to grip the claws once it was off the thermostat housing.

FYI, just to update this thread, the above advice was wrong.
The last 2 jobs I attempted both required channel locks.

1) Front shock. You need a huge channel lock to hold the shock in place while you turn the top bolt.

2) Radiator hose. I moved the hose off the thermostat housing, so the 2 claws expanded beyond the length of my hose clamp tool. They were almost 3 inches apart. You needed a very wide channel lock to grip the claws once it was off the thermostat housing.

just because you chose to use channel locks for both of those jobs doesn't mean they were the correct tool. :wave1:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back