• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NC vehichle safety inspection question

hightime81

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, it's that time again. luckily the XJ is a 93' and doesn't have to go through emissions, however, i have a crack in my windshield that covers about 3/4 of it horizontally. my question to anyone in NC about this is:

I read the safety instruction requirements and it says that as long as the crack doesn't impede the windshield wipers, it should pass. So has anyone here run into a situation like this and what was the outcome?

Thx!

as long as it's not in the line of sight you should be fine.

PM me if you'd like to know my preferred inspection shop in your area with 'relaxed' standards.

I would rec. bringing it to an independent repair shop reguardless to have it inspected, NOT a GREASE MONKEY OR VALVOLINE, they will likely find something wrong and fail it. Most independent repair shops are relaxed within reason.

NC doesn't require you to even have a windshield, but if you do have one, it cannot have a crack in the field of view (this is usually defined as anywhere the wipers contact)

if it fails, take the windshield out and you're actually legal (I swear)

NC doesn't require you to even have a windshield, but if you do have one, it cannot have a crack in the field of view (this is usually defined as anywhere the wipers contact)

if it fails, take the windshield out and you're actually legal (I swear)

That makes alot of sense...If it's cracked just take it out. :doh: That's great!

for honest and true-- you're required to have windshield wipers, but not a windshield!

That's awesome!!! Windshields are over rated anyway, unless you get behind a gravel truck with a leaky bed.:wow:

My truck was not actually in the state of NC the last time it was inspected there...

and I do not think it has actually been at the inspection station doing the inspecting in some time.

I am NC inspector . there is nothing about the windshield in the books

There you go, straight from the horses mouth. :laugh:

NC inspection laws are just another way to get money. I live in Florida most of the year but maintain NC tags on my XJ and I really want some 5 percent window tint. Florida tags are a nice kick in the teeth pricewise so I guess ill just have to wait.

NC inspection laws are just another way to get money. I live in Florida most of the year but maintain NC tags on my XJ and I really want some 5 percent window tint. Florida tags are a nice kick in the teeth pricewise so I guess ill just have to wait.

Do you have florida residency? I switched my tags as soon as I got here to do that.

Why do you want so dark a tint, I had 15 and took it off because it was such a hassle at night.

My TJ passed with a crack going top to bottom in front of me, course you never really notice. The last time mine didn't have an airbag, cuz I was upgrading steering wheels. Thought they wouldn't pass it. They complained that I didn't have a push button horn, even though it worked, just had to ground the horn wire, so $1 switch from radio shack fixed that.

Yea its just another scam to get money. Its even different by COUNTYS! I saw similar jeeps that didn't have emissions stickers. Just safety. Atleast atlanta its pretty simple.

Re: NC vehicle safety inspection question

...Yea its just another scam to get money. Its even different by COUNTYS! I saw similar jeeps that didn't have emissions stickers. Just safety. Atleast atlanta its pretty simple.

WTF are you talking about man??? Atlanta is more demanding in their requirements; they put non-OBD II vehicles on rollers and run driving simulation test; they tried to fail my waggy for a gas cap seal (but they conveniently had one to sell me for $10 :rolleyes:), In NC, they only ever turn my gas cap to ensure it clicks once or twice, if that and the Waggy is a safety only inspection.

Just like NC, GA only does emissions testing in the counties around large cities (read Atlanta)

My XJ just nearly failed due to no front sway bar which I'd removed over a year ago to go to URE...DO NOT go to the Mr Inspection on Polk St in Pineville! They also said I was low on brake fluid which was also BS b/c I had it checked a week before...and the car had been sitting for a week...

Back