• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moving from NJ to MA, inspection laws?

LessThanJoe

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, moving up from NJ to MA (Natick, specifically) for the new year. I've got some time to do it, but I'll have to register my Jeeps in MA which means new inspection for all of them. Here in NJ, they have gotten very relaxed in the last few years. Everything 95 and below is exempt from any inspection :loveu:, and 96+ require OBD emissions only.

How are things up in MA? I'm not worried so much about my XJs (except the one with the phantom misfire code, ugh) but my YJ is lifted about 4-5" on 33's. Besides inspection, do police hassle anyone about lifted jeeps or 'tires that stick out too far' on the roads? I know its very dependent on the area (same as NJ) but just trying to get some opinions on how things are.

- Joe

its tough to get inspected up here but not impossible. You need to know somebody or find someone who is lenient or into jeeps.

Cops could harass you about lift height and tires, but I usually have more trouble with inspections.

I'm out west but let me know if you want to wheel, expect an hour or 2 drive north or west to find something worthwhile.

On older cars emissions are easy don't roll in with a check engine light or blowing smoke and you will be fine. Tie coverage is the tire cannot be sticking out more than an inch, the lift and tires are too much but you find a shop that is easy you will be good but the hard part is finding the shop that is nice. Are also tried to crack down on them. Cops don't care especially as you get in more urban areas as they have big fish to fry.

Natick is a nice town can be a bit tricky to navigate and of traffic patterns as the town is built around rt 9 which is filled with box box stores and malls

i'm in Wellesley right down the road from Natick, cop around here are pretty lenient when i comes to lifted jeeps at least with me anyways my jeeps got a 4 to 5 inch lift with 33's. as long as the vehicle looks safe they won't bother you.

Thanks guys. I've got some time before I get this taken care of but nice to know it's not impossible to get done. I'll be busy for a while getting settled here and figuring out my work schedule, but after that I'd be interested to see what Mass has to offer as far as trails go.
- Joe

Back