• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My XJ Project

dsgray16 said:
Not if you have a well built exo tied into a well built internal ;)

I agree (the exo still will look like crap), but where was that in any of the discussion? He obviously doesn't have an internal...

TheArsonist21 said:
Dude, what a nice job! And what a transformation!

Thanks. There has been a bunch of work going on in the last 10 months. And a bunch of money.

About the exo cage. The only reason I have it is for a roll over. I don't care if it twists,bends or hurts the body. But I know that if it rolls , along with the factory top it will not cave in and crush my head. I wanted to add bars from the exo that would run down behind the front seat and attach to the frame rails I beefed up. And I still will. The guy who did my work said he could not do it. Still do not know why. But it is good for now. A full internal takes up to much space in an already tight jeep. All in all it is better than not having one at all.

Capt. Nemo said:
I agree (the exo still will look like crap), but where was that in any of the discussion? He obviously doesn't have an internal...

EXO's look good to me. and several others. Apperantly that is an opinion, and they are like assholes. Everyone has them!

p.s. Hard to repair dented tubing.LMAO! cut it off and put another one in it's place. This is a trail rig only. Not worried about dents, dings and scratches. And I layed it up against a tree with a lot of weight from the jeep. No dents, no dings. It held up very well. Just left some of that green paint behind.

Last edited:
Well, whether or not it's internal or external, at least you have seen the value in having protection other than stock sheetmetal. I don't know how guys can wheel without added protection. My internal saved my butt, and you're miles ahead of where I was by also protecting the front end (radiator).

rearcornerroof.jpg

The "B" pillar was smashed into the cage right where my head normally sits.

driversdoor.jpg

The radiator was compressed about 2", but it still got me the 4 hour drive home.

driversfront.jpg

Good job on the build... even if it has an exo ;)

Man it is pictures like that , that made me go with a cage. I was looking at some pictures one day and there was a xj that flipped over backwards. the whole top was smashed in. Let me say it again. The whole top was flat almost even with the hood. From that day on I started looking into exo cages and internal. Internal cages are great in what they do. They protect the people inside of it. Exo cages do the same. But one added thing my exo ties to the front and rear bumpers and the rocksliders. The frame was reinforced and the whole thing is now a lot stiffer. Don't have to worry about the unibody anymore. I have 1.75 dom tubing on almost all of the exo.

There will be many changes in the future. Including a rear 4 link next year.
I will keep pics posted up.

Back