• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My RE kit ain't good...

As for axle U bolt sizes. On the D35, I have seen three different tube diameters on rigs. Unless you specify the tube diameter, there is a pretty good chance you will get the wrong U bolts.

Re: Yikes! Re: My RE kit ain't good...

XJEEPER said:
......Btw, shocks?

Shocks = Rubicon Mono-tube Shocks. I was concerned about these when I ordered them on the phone with RE. I was assured by the RE salesman that: "These are the shocks that are custom designed for the spring rate of the Super-Ride kit installed on a 1998 XJ". WOW! not that's custom valving! I was a little surprised he didn't mention they were also valved for my driving style! ;)

I just installed a 3.5 superflex with a 3/4 spacer in the front. I got OME shocks and jks bar pin eliminators. It rides better than ever, way better than stock. My friend has a 2001 limited, all stock and it mine rides better, and I've got 135k mi on my 99. I'm sooooo happy with my RE. I have however rode in a 3.5 superride RE lift and it was terrible. Made my pretty anxious about ordering my RE lift after I rode in it. Shocks make all the difference, also, he could have used some front bar pin eliminators.

look dood. go to lowes and buy about 20 cinder blocks. stack them in the back cargo area. drive like this for one week. take it wheeling a time or 2, or just flex it out really good a few times on a loading dock ramp or something. that should help settle the springs down. then (assuming you still have your receipt) go back to lowes and return the cinder blocks (they will load and unload them for you, dont ask me how i know). if you still dont like the ride, splurge for some nice soft shocks.

old_man said:
As for axle U bolt sizes. On the D35, I have seen three different tube diameters on rigs. Unless you specify the tube diameter, there is a pretty good chance you will get the wrong U bolts.

I specified a Chrystler 8.25. How many tube diameters does the 8.25 have in an XJ?

Is he serious? Jeep Looks good man have fun with it. Its a jeep not an expedition. I just put in my rustys 4.5 and it sits like that. Take it easy folks

This post is pretty entertaining. I have a question though - my lift was "custom" put together, not RE. Why is it that on every board people will fight to the death for RE? The only experience I have is my buddies YJ with RE springs and they twisted (with him in a ditch and someone pulling from the side - I don't think any springs would have survived).
I guess my question is are they really that good or just that expensive that people have to justify the cost?
I'm sure the flaming will just get better!

olivedrabcj7 said:
look dood. go to lowes and buy about 20 cinder blocks. stack them in the back cargo area. drive like this for one week. take it wheeling a time or 2, or just flex it out really good a few times on a loading dock ramp or something. that should help settle the springs down. then (assuming you still have your receipt) go back to lowes and return the cinder blocks (they will load and unload them for you, dont ask me how i know). if you still dont like the ride, splurge for some nice soft shocks.

Sh!T, why didnt I think of that. Let lowes do the heavy lifting. I thru three bag of concrete under the rest of my junk in the back the first two trips out.

My 5.5 RE XDLA kit rode real rough and had little flex at first, now it rides much better than it did stock, even with the cheap Doesch Tech shocks, and flexs more each time I take it out.
I dont have access to an RTI ramp but its gained about 4 inchs of flex (fork lift method), after three hard trips wheelin.

I'll trade you some OME springs for those RE springs. Hell I'll even do the swap. At my house. Where are you in SoCal? I saw a XJ similar to yours on ValleyView/Bolsa Chica this morning.

93JXJ said:
This post is pretty entertaining. I have a question though - my lift was "custom" put together, not RE. Why is it that on every board people will fight to the death for RE? The only experience I have is my buddies YJ with RE springs and they twisted (with him in a ditch and someone pulling from the side - I don't think any springs would have survived).
I guess my question is are they really that good or just that expensive that people have to justify the cost?
I'm sure the flaming will just get better!

No flaming... but it's usually a fair bit more expensive to buy everything individually, unless you're buying used parts. That's probably why most folks opt for the "pre-packaged" lift kits.

IMHO RE offers some of the best if not the best complete lift kit systems available. That's why we became RE dealers. I've been running RE stuff since '97. I've tried out parts from other companies over the years, but kept going back to RE because I liked their designs better than anyone else's. Now, I don't think that everything that RE puts out is the best of the bunch, but taken on the whole, I think they're the best aftermarket Jeep suspension maker out there right now.

runaway.gif

chucknewell said:
Cadillac? No, but I did expect truth in advertising. A quote from RE's Web Site: The 3.5" Super-Ride kit matches a flexible off road suspension with a better than stock on road ride. My correctly installed kit does not ride better than stock on road.

My RE 3.5" rides and handles better than the stock suspension. Even my wife agrees.

Re: Yikes! Re: My RE kit ain't good...

chucknewell said:
Man, I stirred up a hornet's nest.

O.K. I'll clarify some of the stuff.

I have the RE6025 3.5" Super Ride w/ Rear Springs XJ kit. Installed by pro's (I watched). Bolts are torqued. Installed about a year ago.

Urban 4X4?

I can't remember if the damage was caused by shopping carts at Wal-Mart or from runnin' down an over-grown trail.

More Tomorrow...
If that is all of the damage you have...boy you need to wheel. It is possible to wheel without damage, but doesnt even look as if its been off road other than your backyard. I have had my RE 3.5" with aal for about two and a half years and it still sits about 3.25

trailxj said:
lol@getting caught in a lie by your own thread..haha

lift installed by pros...oh wait..thread by you on how you installed the lift..lol

Yup, you got me. I didn't tell the whole truth in the post in 2004. I had the lift done by a machanic of 20+ years. I called him a pro because he fixes cars for a living. I was there when the kit was put in. I didn't personnally hammer the U-bolts. And, BTW, they were replaced once I got the correct ones from RE.

Who lives near Poway, CA.
Stop by have a beer BS a bit, then you can tell everyone what an whinner I am and that I have no reason to be :mad: at all.

chucknewell said:
Who lives near Poway, CA.
Stop by have a beer BS a bit, then you can tell everyone what an whinner I am and that I have no reason to be :mad: at all.
I got a better idea: how about you take it out wheeling during one of the SoCal runs?

Back