• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My RE kit ain't good...

My turn...
Here's what I got: RE6030 3.5" Super-Flex Kit with OME Nitro Chargers.

RE6030.jpg

It sat a little high and rode tight in the beginning - here's shop shots.

site1168.jpg

site1170.JPG

I threw some weight in the back and took it wheeling the weekend after install. Things settled down after driving around with some weight after about about 500 miles and my re-torque. I still have a little "rake" but really don't care. This is the BEST this rig EVER rode (I'm still running 30s!). I've had lifts on other vehicles (not jeeps) and this is the best I've ever driven.

Someone previously suggested you contact Rubicon Express...I recommend it highly. They will want to hear your feedback.

Did someone say popcorn?
5popcorn.gif

Re: Yikes! Re: My RE kit ain't good...

chucknewell said:
Installed by pro's (I watched).

Problem one: What the hell is a pro? I take it this means you have no working familiarity with your own rig. That is your problem, sweetie, not RE's.

Problem two: Your panties are twisted.

If I read that thread correctly, he installed the lift not a pro.

site1168.jpg

site1170.JPG

Wow! how'd you do that 4 wheel smoky into the garage? :yelclap: :cheers:

chucknewell said:
Well I've been watching this forum for some time and decided on Rubicon Express for my lift. There were some problems and I was just wondering if these issues are similar in other kits too.
The biggest issue was the new U bolts. They were the wrong size; too small to go over the axle tubes. This is a 1998 XJ with a Chrysler 8 1/4" rear. I think that's pretty standard for an XJ. Ended up hammering them on and then bending the ends together just to make it work till tomorrow.

The sway bar disco adapter bolts were too long and hit on the sway bar end links. had to add washers in between the adapters and the sway bar.

Rubicon shocks were recommended "by RE, go figure" and had "some assembly and disassembly required" The cross bars had to be installed for the rear shocks and the lower mount wouldn't fit into the shock until the metal tube insert was pressed out of the rubber bushing. Just seems to me that I shouldn't screw around this much with $140.00 worth of shocks that are "custom made" for my 1998 XJ.

The instruction were fair at best. Obviously written for mechanics by mechanics. Step 6. Disconnect steering linkage at pitman arm.
Done.
However nowhere does is say to reconnect it.

I'm being picky I guess. Just wondered what everyone else thought.

Chuck

This is really getting fun.

OK now, Sheila, the "Pros" who installed your lift . . . are completely unaware of how U-bolts are supposed to fit and the dangers attendant to "making" them fit . . . didn't know which way to install the discos . . . weren't mechanics . . . and weren't aware that a lifted XJ might require the steering to be reconnected?

:dunce:

You'd better go home to momma now.

:rattle:

Re: Yikes! Re: My RE kit ain't good...

JEONLYEP said:
I'm thinking that may really be problem one? :D
It's a close call. Sure enough, though, she really needs to address both !

Rev Den said:
You guys should not be so rude to the newb.
That ain't no Newb, Rev...he's been a user since 2003.
Sniggs said:

JEONLYEP said:
Probably was asking while he was answering.
That could be; although in light of the information from Sniggs' link, I wonder what kind of "pros" did the install? 4Wheel Parts? That still didn't answer whether the springs and stuff were torqued on the ground, as they should be. I doubt it matters though because li'l Chucky Newell felt SOOOO strongly about the issue that it took a year for him to tell us how much he hates it. Yeah...kudos on the timeliness there, champ. :laugh3:

I've got the RE 3.5 superflex with the emus... Rides like a tank and I LOVE it... What else would you expect from a vehicle with solid axles.

Yucca-Man said:
Lemme guess genius; you didn't specify your axle type when you ordered, so it defaulted to the D35 u-bolts.
it's ALWAYS someone elses fault?
I specified the axle! When I called to request the correct hardware I was told "this happens quite a bit, the shipping guys pull the wrong hardware". You're right, even RE blames someone else.

As to the original poster...what lift is it? Springpack or AAL? SR or SF? Torqued the bolts properly after setting the Jeep back on all fours, or did you just "good-n-tight" them while it was up in the air?
It's a spring-pack. And, yes, everything is torqued CORRECTLY after setting it down.
Did you expect Cadillac ride from a lifte vehicle?
Cadillac? No, but I did expect truth in advertising. A quote from RE's Web Site: The 3.5" Super-Ride kit matches a flexible off road suspension with a better than stock on road ride. My correctly installed kit does not ride better than stock on road.

It blows me away that people complain that their RE lift provided more than the advertised amount. If they bought a Whopper and got 1/3-pound of meat instead of 1/4-pound they'd be thrilled.

I'm one of the few that doesn't want lots of lift. I want to increase ground clearance (under the pumpkins) without raising the center of gravity too much. Ideally, I would have cut up the body to make room for bigger tires without lifting at all. I don't rock crawl and I'm not trying to make a show vehicle. It's a daily driver that gets off road a few times a year.

xjohnnyc said:
The stance looks fine. But if you want to fine-tune, get ACOS.

xj ranger asked a question way back on page one - Do you have a SYE and new driveshaft? Since yours is a 97+, it is more prone to post-lift driveline vibes, which could be causing your "rough" ride.

Yup, Tom Wood's. No drive line vibes.

Ok, so you got the wrong u-bolts. It DOES happen.

As for the barpins in the shocks, not everyone uses them, and that's not how they're assembled from the factory. And yes, they're a PITA to deal with, that's why I use JKS BPE's so I don't have to jack around with barpins.

If you didn't want extra lift, you shouldn't have gotten an RE lift. Everyone knows that RE's stuff runs a bit tall, especially on "stock" rigs, because RE designs their lifts for guys (like me) who have heavily modified rigs (pun intended) with aftermarket bumpers, tire carrier, skid plates, rocker guards, you name it. I used to run Rusty's stuff, and he had to send me 3 different leaf spring packs before we finally got one that didn't sag out the second I set the vehicle on the ground. The last set I got from him were "custom" made for my vehicle because [at the time] he was basing all his springs off an unloaded XJ with no aftermarket stuff

Back