• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My new homemade rockrails...

BruceB83 said:
It has more than just pinch seam mounting...it has 1x3 arms extending to the frame rails as well. If you're telling me this design is flawed, tell AJ/Detour/JCR/etc...theirs will do the same.

I didn't say the design was flawed, I have JCR rails. What I said was that you cannot definately say that rocker damage is "not possible" with that mounting system.

When my tcase broke on guardrail and I taco'd my steering, I landed the whole jeep on the driver's side rail. The rear part of the rockrail pushed the pinch seam up about an inch and flattened the rocker under the jeep.

I wasn't trying to get into an arguement. There are times where that mounting system will fail to protect just like anyone else's. However, it did save the driver's side of the jeep, which is it's purpose.

RedHeep said:
I didn't say the design was flawed, I have JCR rails. What I said was that you cannot definately say that rocker damage is "not possible" with that mounting system.

When my tcase broke on guardrail and I taco'd my steering, I landed the whole jeep on the driver's side rail. The rear part of the rockrail pushed the pinch seam up about an inch and flattened the rocker under the jeep.

I wasn't trying to get into an arguement. There are times where that mounting system will fail to protect just like anyone else's. However, it did save the driver's side of the jeep, which is it's purpose.
Yeah, I've had 4 XJ's...I know that anything is possible and if you say something isn't possible...you will be eating crow the next time you go wheeling. Geeeeeeez...you guys are being way to literal here. Sorry if I said it's "not possible", for use in my normal and current circumstances it's not very likely...is that better.

Yes, there are times, like anything else, stuff will fail. I think us experienced people on here all know this and take that into account when reading what people are saying. It's a given so why bring it up and start unneccesary conversation about technicalities. And exactly, like you said, it saved the driver's side of the jeep...purpose served...end of story.

Now quit pissing in my cheerios!!! :moon:

Last edited:
BruceB83 said:
They are meant to protect from ROCKS...not trees so that point has zero validity. Later, I'm going to install some side steps similar to icewolf's friends design. It's similar to AJ's so how would it not protect anything. That's a ridiculous statement.

You must not have read my description. My 1" angle tucks perfectly up into the pinch mold to keep it from flexing or moving. The way it's built, it's NOT possible for the rails to move upwards and would have to have ALOT of downward pressure to make them budge downwards.

Yours look nice by the way...thanks for all the great comments. The 1" square tubing in the pinch is probably overkill, 1" angle is all you really need.
The problem with angle is that it doesnt have a radius at the corner.the 1'x.120" has the correct radius so the rail can sit perfectly flat/square and 100% contact(even in the corner)! If you want "sliders",heres a additional feature on mine that really works!
al%20skids.jpg

Last edited:
RCP Phx said:
The problem with angle is that it doesnt have a radius at the corner.the 1'x.120" has the correct radius so the rail can sit perfectly flat/square and 100% contact(even in the corner)!

Lol...dude, you're wasting your breath. Mine sits 100% flat in the corner. How do you know I didn't hit the edge with a flap disk??? How do you know I didn't clean up the corner of the pinch molding??? How do you know that in my particular application it didn't sit flat already without doing anything??? You can sit here and tell me all day long till your blue in the face that my rockrails don't sit 100% flat in the corner, but I built them and I know they do. :conceited

But thanks for your concern!

I thought about adding something similar to that but I have yet to realize a real benefit from it. I'm not saying it's not a good idea, I thought of it and if I had flat stock that was big enough, I might have gone ahead and done it. I'm trying to justify spending the extra $$$ and time to do that when the rails will already act as a slide anyways. I guess that could come in handy if you are on a really jagged rock with protruding edges, it could keep a protrusion from going up and catching your arm.

Lol...what's funny to me is that all this talk about not working 100% correctly, yada yada yada, and your transfer case is exposed!!! Now I'm sure thats only in the pic, right??? Surely you're not lecturing me on this stuff and yet you have no protection over your t-case...;)

BruceB83 said:
Lol...dude, you're wasting your breath. Mine sits 100% flat in the corner. How do you know I didn't hit the edge with a flap disk??? How do you know I didn't clean up the corner of the pinch molding??? How do you know that in my particular application it didn't sit flat already without doing anything??? You can sit here and tell me all day long till your blue in the face that my rockrails don't sit 100% flat in the corner, but I built them and I know they do. :conceited

But thanks for your concern!
This info was provided for evryone here,the material "stated" works "off the shelf" with no extra work required!

Last edited:
BruceB83 said:
Lol...what's funny to me is that all this talk about not working 100% correctly, yada yada yada, and your transfer case is exposed!!! Now I'm sure thats only in the pic, right??? Surely you're not lecturing me on this stuff and yet you have no protection over your t-case...;)
There alot of things not in that pic(its during the build,8 years ago),notice no LA's either,plenty of skid protection currently!:cheers:

RCP Phx said:
This info was provided for evryone here,the material "stated" works "off the shelf" with no extra work required!

LMAO..."off the shelf"...sorry but building rockrails are not exactly "off the shelf". If someone is worried about having to hit an edge of a piece of angle with a grinder, they don't need to be building them in the first place. And just to clear up, my 1" angle fit in my pinch seam without any fuss.

RCP Phx said:
There alot of things not in that pic(its during the build,8 years ago),notice no LA's either,plenty of skid protection currently!:cheers:

Good...just checking...:cheers:

BruceB83 said:
It's a given so why bring it up and start unneccesary conversation about technicalities. And exactly, like you said, it saved the driver's side of the jeep...purpose served...end of story.

Now quit pissing in my cheerios!!! :moon:

What else are we supposed to do? I'm supposed to do work while I'm at work?

That's no fun :eeks1:

RedHeep said:
What else are we supposed to do? I'm supposed to do work while I'm at work?

That's no fun :eeks1:

Haha...I guess you're right. You could piss in your co-workers cheerios!

My rock rails are afraid of trees, but they give me 50HP!! Their names are Jeb and Walter. I filled the insides with Skittles so I could taste the rainbow if they ever spontaneously burst into flames from contact with a tree. They also have rockets in the back so that if I get high centered I can shoot off of the rock!

I like cheese!

icewolf73 said:
My rock rails are afraid of trees, but they give me 50HP!! Their names are Jeb and Walter. I filled the insides with Skittles so I could taste the rainbow if they ever spontaneously burst into flames from contact with a tree. They also have rockets in the back so that if I get high centered I can shoot off of the rock!

I like cheese!

I couldn't have said it better, myself.:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

icewolf73 said:

I like cheese!

That's freakin awesome...LOL!!!

icewolf73 said:

I like cheese!

i like cheese too, do you have the plans for Jeb and Walter, i want to make some rock rails and yours sound the the awesomest of them all.:party:

Stuntman Mot said:
i like cheese too, do you have the plans for Jeb and Walter, i want to make some rock rails and yours sound the the awesomest of them all.:party:

Not so fast...I already have plans to do something similar with my next set...only mine will be made from re-generating lizard skin so if they are scratched, they will re-generate a new protective layer....and it's lime skittles flavored. They will also have spinning blades that will come out when the tree-sensing sensor senses silly trees or stumps scurrying towards my southern portion of my sides. They will cut down any trees in the way so they will then be allowed to be called ROCK slides and ONLY ROCK slides.

How about wrapping them in fur so that if they do make contact with rocks or trees, they would just softly cuddle them as you passed. That sounds nice.

Stuntman Mot said:

Main rails: 2x2x3/16 Square tube
"Step" rails: 1x1x1/8 Square tube
@ Pinch seam: 1x1x1/8 Angle iron
legs to frame rail: 1x3x3/16 rectangle tube
"feet" @ frame rail: (cut to) 3x4x3/16 flat steel

We completed the main and step rails first. The length of the main rail and the angles of the end we determined at the time by holding up to Jeep and me saying, "This long" and "This angle". I think we cut them at around 22 degrees. We then put the rails on jack stands where they would alter be located and found the length of the legs remembering that there needed to be room for the feet (3/16"). Once we had the legs ready we held them and the pinch seam rail in place and tacked them to the main rails the way they would sit permanently. Then we took the set-up out, welded, grinded (ground, grounded), painted, and drilled out holes in the pinch seam rail (angle iron). Take note of how the pnich seam rail sits next to the pinch and drill accordingly (close to the bend). We welded the "feet" to my frame rails but you can also use 4 good size self tapper bolts (predrilled smaller holes) to mount the feet to the frame rail.

How's that? Sorry if its quick. It's early and I am not fully awake yet. I will answer questions as well. Or you can PM me and we can talk via tello phono. I'll take some more pics when I get a chance.

BruceB83 said:
They are meant to protect from ROCKS...not trees so that point has zero validity. Later, I'm going to install some side steps similar to icewolf's friends design. It's similar to AJ's so how would it not protect anything. That's a ridiculous statement.
Since I have a new pic out I can better show you.In the first pic look how far out the rails are,in the second pic look where the dent is!!
pyeatt1.jpg

wb23.jpg

Back