• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My new homemade rockrails...

Here's mine I made a couple of months ago. The main section is 50mmx75mmx5mm while the arms are 25mmx50mmx3mm and the outer tubing is 45mmx3mm. The arms are based on the Rocklizard designed, while the 50x75mm main section with the 45mm outer tubing is based on the JCR rocksliders.

I've slid on them, I've knocked them on rocks, I've highlift jacked on them, jumped on them - they don't even flinch! And the fact that they give side on protection againste trees, parking garage pillars, other cars opening their doors against your all gives quite a bit peace of mind.

IMG_4633.jpg

IMG_4634.jpg

IMG_4635.jpg

IMG_4636.jpg

IMG_4637.jpg

IMG_4638.jpg

IMG_4639.jpg

IMG_4640.jpg

IMG_4641.jpg

Those look nice gorman. My "steps" will look like that but I think I'm using square tubing. Haha...I've never thought about them being protection, well more like door ruiners, from other cars.
Funky tail lenses!!!

Yes, Gorman, very nice rig! OME, I presume? And What front bumper/bar is that on there??
Its silly, but the biggest reason I dig my own RRs is the protection they offer from FuBLEEPcktards in parking lots. One time my wife parked next to someone who was parked like a spacehog(Way over on one side, really close). He came out and had to access his car through the passengers side. He got really pissed, and tried to do the "Edge of my cardoor in your cars door" Trick, and met with a resounding TANG! He was driving a little toyota/nissan/honda/datsun type sedan, and found that the edge of his door now had a really huge crease in it from my own XJs RRs. She came out of the store at that moment, so he couldnt do anything but be really really beat red in the face. Wife said he had to slam his door twice to get it closed properly. There was a cashier friend of hers out front taking a smoke break and watched the whole thing go down. You ALL have great lookin designs, and its cool to see so many different working ideas about the very same application.

BruceB83 said:
You must not have read my description. My 1" angle tucks perfectly up into the pinch mold to keep it from flexing or moving. The way it's built, it's NOT possible for the rails to move upwards and would have to have ALOT of downward pressure to make them budge downwards.

I've seen rockrails mounted exactly like that to the pinch seam push up into the body and collapse the rocker.

I'm not agreeing with the guy, but saying it's "not possible" is a pretty defining statement. I have the jeep in the driveway to prove that it's quite possible.

Nice job Bruce. But I would've extended them out just a bit.

Here's a pic of my Jeep after a bout with a boulder on Clawhammer. The door is totally messed up. But the rocker panel is untouched. It's much easier to repair/replace a door than a rocker panel.

IMG_6909.jpg

Not criticizing your work at all. It's a lot better than what I could've done. Just a little visual evidence of what others have said.

BruceB83 said:
Funky tail lenses!!!
These are the OE tail lenses in South Africa, don't know why they're different form the US versions..

2KXJmakinwaves said:
That's a nice looking Jeep, Gorman. 2000?
Thanks! Yep, it's a 2000

Thumpersdriver said:
Yes, Gorman, very nice rig! OME, I presume? And What front bumper/bar is that on there??
Yes, at the time of the photo it was all OME and the bumper is an ARB. It has now gone up a bit sitting at about 5.5" with RE4.5 coils and a spacer in the front, while it still has the OME leafs and RE 1.5" shackles in the rear, but I've added an extra leaf to firm it up a bit and to give a little more lift.

gorman converted to standard measurements for Americans said:
Here's mine I made a couple of months ago. The main section is 1.969"x2.953"x.197" while the arms are .984"x1.97"x.118" and the outer tubing is 1.772"x.118". The arms are based on the Rocklizard designed, while the 1.968"x2.952" main section with the 1.772" outer tubing is based on the JCR rocksliders.

I've slid on them, I've knocked them on rocks, I've highlift jacked on them, jumped on them - they don't even flinch! And the fact that they give side on protection againste trees, parking garage pillars, other cars opening their doors against your all gives quite a bit peace of mind.

I figure if I'm going to take the time to convert these I might as well let everyone benefit.

RedHeep said:
I've seen rockrails mounted exactly like that to the pinch seam push up into the body and collapse the rocker.

I'm not agreeing with the guy, but saying it's "not possible" is a pretty defining statement. I have the jeep in the driveway to prove that it's quite possible.

It has more than just pinch seam mounting...it has 1x3 arms extending to the frame rails as well. If you're telling me this design is flawed, tell AJ/Detour/JCR/etc...theirs will do the same.

xjohnnyc said:
Nice job Bruce. But I would've extended them out just a bit.

Here's a pic of my Jeep after a bout with a boulder on Clawhammer. The door is totally messed up. But the rocker panel is untouched. It's much easier to repair/replace a door than a rocker panel.

IMG_6909.jpg

Not criticizing your work at all. It's a lot better than what I could've done. Just a little visual evidence of what others have said.

They are NOT to protect against trees...like I said...they are ROCK SLIDES.

Do all of you guys criticize the companies who sell these too? Just curious. As I said earlier, they will eventually have extenders to protect from trees too. Read the original post and you'll see. Thanks for the comments guys!

When did I say anything about TREES?!?

That dent was put there by a rock. And I wasn't criticizing.

I understand that you built them as rock sliders. But you can't always slide over the rocks. They sometimes attack from the side.

xjohnnyc said:
When did I say anything about TREES?!?

That dent was put there by a rock. And I wasn't criticizing.

I understand that you built them as rock sliders. But you can't always slide over the rocks. They sometimes attack from the side.

Oh, sorry, the tree statement wasn't really directed to you as it was others.

Yeah, I know, I've been attacked from higher up before, BUT there isn't really anything you can do to protect against that. Rock slides have no intention of protecting up higher on the door, ya know. I just don't get why some people bring up points that go beyond the intentions of the rails I, or anyone else built???

icewolf73 said:
My rock rails protect from falling rocks!!

Lol...mine protect against hurricanes and there's nothing anybody can say to deny that!!!

Mine actually do protect me from trees. That's just the way we roll in the Northwest. We have huge root balls and tight corners. It's absolutely dumb to say they are only for rocks. Sure, that is the name for them but that's like saying mud terrain tires are only for mud. DUMB!!!

Geesh...this is being taken too literally. Will they protect my rockers from some trees, maybe. Is that their current design purpose...no. Will that be a purpose once I weld on some extenders/steps...yes it will. I know they're not ONLY for rocks, like anything else, they will serve some other purposes too. How about this...whatever they work for, they work for. What's dumb is everybody being so darn uptight about this...loosen up people, have a cold one! :cheers:

BruceB83 said:
They are meant to protect from ROCKS...not trees so that point has zero validity. .

Do you remember your comment? Literal? You were pretty clear. DOH!!! Didn't plan on that, did ya?

2KXJmakinwaves said:
Do you remember your comment? Literal? You were pretty clear. DOH!!! Didn't plan on that, did ya?

Lol....what is your deal? Yes I remember that comment...I said they were ROCK SLIDES. I don't even know what you're argueing here? I'm not argueing...all I said was hey guys, check out my rock slides and then the word technicality junkies of NAXJA pop out of the woodwork. They are fawking ROCK SLIDES. Call them whatever the hell you want to...tree slides...rock slides....VW Bug slides...multi-functional objects of nature slides if you prefer....but good god....their number 1 purpose, as of right now, FOR ME is to protect my rockers from ROCKS.

Oh yeah...thanks for your comment on page 2. I like them tucked up close too...almost makes them just blend in to the vehicle since the bottom of my Jeep is black. I was going for the AJ's standard look and then I will be adding the square tubing extenders for steps and additional protection against anything else the trail may throw at the lower portion of my vehicle.

Last edited:
More often than not,you have to lay the rocker up against a rock and pivot around it to the next obstacle!

So you're saying if for example, you're in a tight squeeze in between obstacles, to go ahead and use the rockrail to your advantage and put it on the rock instead of trying to avoid the rock and possible crashing hard into it? Makes sense...good advice.

Back