• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My 97 Comanche build

Wow Bo...looks great!

I just put a 97 header panel and fenders on my MJ today. And I previously did the 97 doors too. But I'm not brave enough to do the interior like you did.

It's a race to see who finishes their MJ project first. :D I got your new tailgate all boxed up and ready to ship. I'll get it out to you ASAP.

You are going to win that race Johnny. Mine is far from done. Thanks for getting that gate for me. As you can see it is not a big rush. I still have a little bit of work left to do.

Hey Shelby, I'm working on doing the same thing you are to an MJ and an older XJ right now and have a question for you in the column area. In your fourth picture down on post #6 , you can see the bracket spotwelded to the dash of the XJ that used to hold the column bracket up. I see you just ran bolts through the cowl to make it easier. Do you think that will be suitable? I actually sawzalled a bracket out of a 97 XJ so I have one of those to play around with but I'd almost rather just run bolts through if you're thinking that would work. The only thing is to me it looks like that spotwelded bracket acts as a spacer to keep the actual column bracket away from the firewall, I'm not 100% sure though. Get back to me with your thoughts when you get a minute, you're doing one hell of a nice job by the way, keep up the good work!
Thanks,
Collin

Collin, I am going to use some strap steel to re-inforce the 2 bolts going through the cowl. I think with the steel, the 6 bolts on the lower right side (4 in the bracket and 2 for the parking brake), and the 2 bolt bolts off the brake pedal bracket that it will be plenty strong.

The factory upper mount does act as a spacer. If you look closely you will see a couple nuts between the mount and the firewall. These are just filling space until I get my acctual spacers finished. I managed to get this total assembly mounted wiithout the use of a welder. Which was my biggest goal. I wanted to show that any home mech could make this swap possible without the use of a welder. So far so good!

Last edited:
I can't wait to see the finished product!

Collin, I am going to use some strap steel to re-inforce the 2 bolts going through the cowl. I think with the steel, the 6 bolts on the lower right side (4 in the bracket and 2 for the parking brake), and the 2 bolt bolts off the brake pedal bracket that it will be plenty strong.

The factory upper mount does act as a spacer. If you look closely you will see a couple nuts between the mount and the firewall. These are just filling space until I get my acctual spacers finished. I managed to get this total assembly mounted wiithout the use of a welder. Which was my biggest goal. I wanted to show that any home mech could make this swap possible without the use of a welder. So far so good!
Ahh I missed those nuts spacing it out, that makes more sense now, and really it seems solid enough to me now that you've explained your plan, I was thinking of something very similar. I plan on more or less getting the bracket marked and in place by first bolting that whole assembly to the brake booster holes as reference. Is that more or less how you did it?

Ahh I missed those nuts spacing it out, that makes more sense now, and really it seems solid enough to me now that you've explained your plan, I was thinking of something very similar. I plan on more or less getting the bracket marked and in place by first bolting that whole assembly to the brake booster holes as reference. Is that more or less how you did it?

I bolted the brake booster bracket on just tight enough to give me a little movement. I then made sure it was flat on the right kick panel. Once it looked good I drilled a hole through the kick panel. Then put a bolt and nut on it to hold it snug. Now drill the 2 top bolts through the cowl using the mount as a template.

Now if you are going to retain your foot brake like I did. I will give you a little secret. Use the nuts from the XJ dash mounts and some Torx bolts from the door hinges. They will sit flush and allow the brake pedal to fit!

I took some time off the dash install to make the 97 seat belts work.
First I had cut the lower bracket off because the XJ one is too long.

100_2316.jpg

Then I re-drilled the mounting hole.

100_2312.jpg

Next I pulled the lower belt cover off the factory MJ bealt and put it on the new belt and snugged it down.

100_2310.jpg

The front seat belt buckles in the XJ have a metal strap in them instead of the webbing. Since I am using a bench I needed the web style. Just so happens that all the rear belts have the webbing and the longer center seat belt needed for the center passenger.

100_2315.jpg

Since I am trying to make everything in the truck look factory, I need the seat belt light to work too. I tore apart the front belt with the switch in it and moved it over to the rear belt buckle.

100_2314.jpg

Since I am trying to make everything in the truck look factory, I need the seat belt light to work too. I tore apart the front belt with the switch in it and moved it over to the rear belt buckle.

100_2314.jpg

my seat belt light has never worked in all three xj's i have driven (my two and my sisters)...for what its worth...

Very nice build I might have to go take a look at that cheap mj that was forsale!

whaddup mayn!

get that thing drivable so you can work on it at work!

i like to work on my jeep on the clock in between naps and trips to the store.

and when you need someone to drive it back to cali, ill glady catch a bird out there and caravan back with ya!

Well all the work messing with the seat belts has been for nothing!

The next time I have a thought I need to just let it go. I spent the last 4 hours putting these in. Not done just yet. I need to have the XJ brackets welded in.

100_2318.jpg

100_2317.jpg

Now I need to re-do the seat belt buckles again!

that is seriously amazing, props to you cannot wait for finished pics!

shelby, how is the knee room and cab size after the new install? I have been thinking about doing the exterior conversion. I have the 2500 stuff on order but I might sell it and go 97+. I want to do the interior too, but I have heard that it cramps up the interior a bit.

LT., It ain't too bad really. I had a 2000 XJ a few years ago and it feels just like it inside now. Once I put the new dash in, the bench sat so low I would of had to have the whole seat re-done. I was looking right at the top of the dash while seated. I am 5' 9" too. Once the XJ power seats went in, I am looking right out the middle of the windshield.

sweet. I am working on the wife to let me buy all the pieces after I finish API here in a few months. I want the newer doors, and if you use those you might as well switch to the interior so it matches, I am hoping that the 2500 stuff will look right with the new doors. Can't have it looking sloppy right? And if you do that you might as well go with the new engine and drivetrain so you do not have to splice wiring...

that last part is where she stops following my logic.

It should look fine with the 2500 front end and the 97+ doors and interior. i am putting that front on my 98 xj. If you swap everything over from a 97 + xj including the drive train electrical systems, emissions bla bla bla so its exactly like it should be factory, you can swap the vin from the donor jeep and re register it as a 98 or what ever year the donor was, Jeep sport truck. Someone else on here did that once before you just need to check on state laws.

Yes MJS are Very RARE, only made form 86 to 92 and more are beat to hell by now. It was an Auto stock from the first page pics.

sweet. I am working on the wife to let me buy all the pieces after I finish API here in a few months. I want the newer doors, and if you use those you might as well switch to the interior so it matches, I am hoping that the 2500 stuff will look right with the new doors. Can't have it looking sloppy right? And if you do that you might as well go with the new engine and drivetrain so you do not have to splice wiring...

that last part is where she stops following my logic.

If you are serously thinking about doing this conversion I highly suggest you buy a XJ and part it like I did. There are so many little things that need to be measured and referenced during this conversion it will make you crazy!

WOW nice look for tyhe old truck, is that thing an Auto stock? are the Trucks auto pretty rare?

Thanks, it was an auto stock. As far as being rare, well not really. They made a bunch of MJs. Like Extreme said, most are just trashed by now.

I've got a really clean 90 MJ if you want it :D, its auto and 4wd

I am good on projects for the time being! Post it for sale over on www.Comancheclub.com they love em!

Last edited:
Why did you part down such a nice 97 XJ? Is there something I am missing? Was it rolled or something to make it pretty much worthless except for transfering parts/components?

Read the first post on page 2.

Back