• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MWC UA

RedHeep

NAXJA #1499
Let's say you wanted to plan your own Ultimate Adventure.

Where would you go? What would you want to see?

A couple rules:

1. 10 days, 5 wheeling days, 5 driving days
2. Primitive camping, except for the night before the first day
3. Everything to camp, repair or eat fits in the jeep or the jeep/offroad trailer
3.5 If you bring a trailer, you don't have to tow it on the offroad park trails, but you have to be able to tow it on the "roads" on road days
4. You can't go where you've already been in the last 5 years, i.e. attica, redbird, harlan
5. Road days have to be less than 350 miles but more than 200 miles.
6. You end close enough to where you started to load back up on the trailer and go home.
7. You can start anywhere you can tow or drive to and has a hotel.

Not necessarily limited to the MWC, but be practical and think about taking time off of work, how far you have to go to get to the starting point, things like that.

Also remember that road days are often not interstate days, but mini wheeling days on back roads from one wheeling adventure to another.

So where would you go?

Last edited:
In-see my sig

Hot springs.
Grey Rock.

mac 'after I can walk' gyvr

The south.
Harlan
Windrock
Aop
Uwharrie
Gulches
Durhamtown
Hale mtn
Grayrock (when its open)
And more

There are a lot of homeboy backroad wheeling spots around chatt that are legal. You can take a 2 lane through the country and avoid highways to get between everything and see the sights. It's not spread out like out west. If SHTF your not a million miles from everything, and you shouldn't have to pack a gas can unless you're running a big block. Plus participation wont be a problem because the logistics of doing it on the east coast will be a lot easier to handle than carting a bunch of junk out west.

You wanting to do this? A UA style trip is on my bucket list. Along with a cross country jeep trip, and my ultra bucket list trip is to do the pacific coast highway in an open top vintage jeep.

I'm not planning a trip, I'm thinking in the hypothetical. I was staring at google and trying to come up with places to wheel that you can drive to in between.

Remember also that a lot of places that we think about wheeling are only open on the weekends. You have to figure out how to link them together on weekdays too.

And you can't go where you've already been ;)

There's nothing in michigan I want to wheel and illinois is a communist state that refuses my 2nd amendment rights, so not very high on the list.

Well considering its a "MWC" trip and the majority of the members live in those 3 states, it would be a lot easier to get a large turnout.

I'm not planning a trip, I'm thinking in the hypothetical. I was staring at google and trying to come up with places to wheel that you can drive to in between.

Remember also that a lot of places that we think about wheeling are only open on the weekends. You have to figure out how to link them together on weekdays too.

And you can't go where you've already been ;)

Most places will make a special exception if you clear it with ownership and you can make it worth their while to open the gate on a weekday.

Now we're taking something feasible and making it extremely unpractical..

Just do the real damn UA at that point. At least you'll get some sweet pics out of the deal

hypothetical...the SW...colorado, utah, nevada, arizona....

or further north in montana, wyoming, colorado. you could sightsee while you wheel, camp and hike. it would all be free wheeling too, no spending money in parks.

if i'm staying midwest, northern michigan to northern wisconsin to northern minnesota...though i don't know where you can wheel in those areas.

i would LOVE to do some expo in canada (especially since i'm so close to canada) however, right now i'm temporarily not allowed into canada because of my current employer. someday, when the whole situation has played itself out i can explain it a little better.

I'm not talking about planning a chapter trip. I'm talking about places you would want to go wheel if you had 10 days off of work. Keep it practical. Not the Yukon or a trip out west that takes 3 days to tow there one way.

I want to start in Missouri and figure out how to get to hot springs and back again in a loop of wheeling days.

Think of what you want to do, not what works for a group of people you probably won't invite anyways.

Back