• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MWC Home brew thread

Candy thermometers are generally set for much higher temperatures. A lot of the liquid column candy thermometers won't even register until 200 degrees F or higher.

The thermometer you've got will work for stab & test, but you won't be able to leave it in the wort. It might be a good idea to do a quick boil test on the stove to see where it reads.

Just finishing steeping the grains.

2012-01-15_18-25-44_717.jpg

Im a little worried, after I brought my wort back to a boil after adding the lme, I then added bittering jobs within a couple minutes (directions didn't say ti boil for any time) and it didn't boil over, in how to brew it says to boil for 15any minutes if adding hops. Think ill be alright?

IIRC, bittering hops should boil for a bit. Aroma hops get added close to flame-out. What exactly are you brewing?

I suspect that as long as the hops get close to the right boil time, you'll probably be fine. Considering that both DME and LME have already gone through a boil process, as long as you get the wort pasteurized (a 35 minute boil should,) you'll probably be fine.

I've taken to doing late addition extract process. LME & DME get added with 15 minutes left, the only sugars early on are from the specialty grains. In a full 5 gallon boil, this will reduce caramelizing the malt extracts.

Hops are hops, they're not dry malt extract. I said both DME & LME, I should have probably just said malt extract.

Too bad you are not closer to Wyoming. I've got a mess of Grolsch bottles I haven't used since I started kegging my brew.

Too bad you are not closer to Wyoming. I've got a mess of Grolsch bottles I haven't used since I started kegging my brew.
Fermentation process will depend greatly on what you're brewing. Don't try that with a big Russian Imperial.

I've been brewing mostly lower gravity stuff. 2 weeks in primary, then keg (chill for a couple of days, then put pressure on the liquid out side for a few days.) I've got a winter spiced ale that's sitting in a glass carboy in secondary just because I don't have a keg to put it in.

I think you quoted the wrong post there, Jeff :D

I will usually primary 1-2 weeks, secondary 2-4 weeks, then keg.

<sigh> Coffee. Coffee. Coffee.

I think you quoted the wrong post there, Jeff :D

I will usually primary 1-2 weeks, secondary 2-4 weeks, then keg.

How do you know when to go to the next step?

Thanks for answering all my dumb noob questions, ive been reading the books but usually prefer peoples first hand experiences.

Relax, Don't Worry, Have A HomeBrew.

Fermentation process will depend greatly on what you're brewing. Don't try that with a big Russian Imperial.

I've been brewing mostly lower gravity stuff. 2 weeks in primary, then keg (chill for a couple of days, then put pressure on the liquid out side for a few days.) I've got a winter spiced ale that's sitting in a glass carboy in secondary just because I don't have a keg to put it in.

I usually take mine from the secondary to the keg, but add about half the normal amount of priming sugar. I let it sit for a couple weeks and then throw the CO2 to the keg and begin serving. It can be a bit foamy for a couple of glasses, but levels off quickly and has nice head.

Spiced....sounds like a great winter brew. Wanna share the recipe for that one?

I picked up a bunch of extra brew equipment when friend discovered he is diabetic. Wound up with carboys, soda kegs, CO2, everything but his lagering fridge. Haven't bottled a batch since getting the kegs.

Back