• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MWC Home brew thread

:cheers:
I need to at least brew up a couple batches for Winterfest, probably a porter and a moderately hopped IPA.

I'll have to make the trip again this year just so I can get some of that IPA.

I bottled a very porter-esque brown ale Thanksgiving and my next batch will be a rye amber ale hopped similar to a pale ale or IPA. Should be nice and bitter with lots of citrusy hop character. Man I wish I could keg...:cheers:

Last edited:
bottling day should be tomorrow

IMAG0471.jpg

just finished off cleaning the last of the donated bottles.

Keep that beer in a dark place. Those clear bottles are a sure-fire way to get skunked.

10-fer got a cooler to store them in while carbing and then back in the box they came in.

the cooler should help in case i use to much priming sugar and the carbonation blows the top off. ill have a contained mess :D

the other half of the bottles i have are sam adams so there dark. i would have liked all dark bottles but my mom drinks the coronas so she saved me them.

Or you can buy some with free beer in them! :D
Or something's that's claimed to be beer.

A friend of mine over in southern MI who should know better ended up throwing out 10 gallons just before Christmas. His fermenters sat out in the light for a while.

Last call, 10 free bottles without caps. I can bring them to WF, if no one wants them, I am recycling them.

well since i have been posting pic's

this is defently clearer than i would have thought and the sample was pretty good so im excited for it!

IMAG0473.jpg

You need a thermometer that will read accurately from 140 degrees F to probably 180 degrees. A dairy thermometer is ideal. A candy thermometer generally reads to high for this. If you end up with a dial type instead of a liquid column, make sure you calibrate it in boiling water (really important if you're doing all grain.)

IIRC, you're still extract brewing, so you're not mashing, but maybe doing a little specialty grain extraction. Temp is not so critical for this. You can suspend a probe from a remote read oven thermometer.

Unfortunately, you're even more out in the sticks than I am. I'd probably hit a Fleet Farm and check in the dairy or kitchen section for a good thermometer. Do you have a Tractor Supply handy?

Oh, one other thing.... if it's a liquid column thermometer and it broke in a kettle full of wort, just throw out the batch.

It broke in the box. I do have a couple farm stores. The only thing I need to measure is steeping temperature at 150 to 165 degrees.

Then when I put the worth in the snow to cool to 70 degrees

Back