• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MT vs AT

k.smith904

NAXJA Forum User
I'm pretty much set on getting some 31x10.5 BFG's for my heep, but I can't decide between the AT and the MT. Cost doesn't really make a difference, they are only a $30 difference anyways. This is my DD and I offroad in it maybe a few times a week. How bad is the road noise with MT's?

I run 33" AT's and love them. Used to have 31's and neve had a problem there either. I cannot say that I have ever had a problem offroad either

M/Ts are pretty noisey compared to the A/T. I've had both & prefered the M/T but that's not the question. They are noisey, like all mud tires. 2X, urban yan, btw I like automatics

MT road noise will definately be more than AT's and tread life will be less. That being said, i have AT's and MT's...:)
get a good stereo or learn to like the sound of the tires humming with MT's
I also expected a trans debate since it was street and performance forum.

the way i look at it is the guy with the ATs (tires here) has some advantages up until he has to call the guy with the MTs (still tires) to pull him outta that big mud bog AT guy sank into. :gee:

oh, and i like my auto too!

I have also had both BFG ATs and MTs (KM) now BFG is known for having a MT tire that surpasses most others in all around performance including road manners. I liked my ATs cuz they road a little smoother and were a lil less noisey but as soon as i switched back to my MTs i realized how much i missed them. road noise is hardly any and ride well u shouldnt have lifted ur jeep if ride is that big of a deal for you. I have had two sets of MTs Pro Comp and BFG and my ATs were BFG and neither of the two MTs ever hydro-planned in wet weather but the ATs did. If u really off-road your jeep as much as u do and the slight difference in ride and noise wont bother u then go MT. Now that being said if u do go MT buy a good quality tire not something shi**y like the maxxis mudders or some mud dawgs. The BFG KM2 is supposed to be quiter and ride better and perform better than their old KM and they recently came out with a ton more sizes and rim options so if money isnt a problem then go for those cuz they have had great reviews and look bad a**

the way i look at it is the guy with the ATs (tires here) has some advantages up until he has to call the guy with the MTs (still tires) to pull him outta that big mud bog AT guy sank into. :gee:

Not necessarily true...my A/T's took me where my bro's MT's made him have to winch out.( got buried in med) With that being said, I'm running 32x9.75 AT's, he's running 31x10.5 MT's and I ran first through the trail. My A/T's ROCK in the snow....btw, they are General Grabber AT2

Not to hijack, but I'm still on the AT dicussion......what kind of 32x9.5???? Are they for a 15 in. rim??? I'm looking for new tires right now so MT vs AT debate is perfect timimg. I too, don't want road noise! I hate having to yell, just to have a conversation with my passengers.

I'm running a 16" rim, so my size is 235/85/16. I went with Ford Explorer rims due to availability and price...not my favorites by any means though. They are General Grabber AT2's and they are a great bargain with great traction... zero hydroplaning, quiet and tooke me everywhere I wanted to go. Fantastic snow handling too. When I drive the Jeep to work, it's a 110 mile round trip so i needed a good mix of street and trail. I have made that trip plenty of times and have had the tires almost a year now.

Hey 91woody,

Could you post some pic's for the group?

Not necessarily true...my A/T's took me where my bro's MT's made him have to winch out.( got buried in med) With that being said, I'm running 32x9.75 AT's, he's running 31x10.5 MT's and I ran first through the trail. My A/T's ROCK in the snow....btw, they are General Grabber AT2
But the question was about BFG A/Ts & they suck in the mud. I run Federal 351 A/Ts & they also work good in the mud, but they are also noisey.

I had BFG A/Ts 32x11.5s and I'd have to agree they to get caked with mud REALLY easily.

I'm only running 30s, but my jeep looked like a big station wagon when I looked at it with A/Ts after having M/Ts on it. The A/Ts stayed on for 24 hours, and I put M/Ts back on. LOVE my M/Ts.. I drive mostly highway, and road manners are perfect with my M/Ts.

Well. This really isn't going to help you make an adult decision,
but I always thought MTs looked badass on XJs.

Yeah but they are terrible on the interstate. Just got back from the Indy Jamboree. First time on a long interstate drive. they aren't too bad but i am getting at's for daily driving and keeping my MT's for wheeling

Yeah but they are terrible on the interstate. Just got back from the Indy Jamboree. First time on a long interstate drive. they aren't too bad but i am getting at's for daily driving and keeping my MT's for wheeling
I agree if you can afford both ,you will save money in the long run....

How was the show??? I seen some badass rigs going that direction on thursday.

Nick

I agree if you can afford both ,you will save money in the long run....

How was the show??? I seen some badass rigs going that direction on thursday.

Nick

It was good i will get some pics up shortly. I only saw two NAXJA stickers. One of them was cardboards jeep and the other is the one that says MUD SLUTS on the windshield

Back