• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moving....

Brent 88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So there is a very good chance I am moving to the Seattle area in a few months. I am debating whether to bring my cherokee out there. I need to find out what I would have to do t omake my rig legal out there, as I know it is not like Tennessee where anything goes. So if someone could pm me here that would be great. I look forward to meeting you guys.

Depends on the County/Location, as well as what is considered "Seattle Area". :)
Some places have smog tests..... usually in the places that pack people so close together like rats.

Washington has all laws online as well, so look at RCW and WAC stuff for the straight word, and not just what somebody has been lucky to get away with.

One thing, coming from out of state, you will likely need a physical inspection by the Washington State Patrol. They match the out of state registration, VIN #'s etc... to the actual vehicle.

Thanks for the reply, I would be keeping my jeep at my partents house which is in Woodinville. I'll check out those web sites. It may be easier to sell this one and build another.

What have you done with your rig to make it possibly illegal here in Washington State?
Just don't register your vehicle here in the Seattle area, they about tax you to death. It's not as bad as it once was though. Then again if you live in the seattle area they have laws against that. Can you believe that I came across payments for tabs for 1100 dollars from the previous owner.

Z22_Z33 said:
What have you done with your rig to make it possibly illegal here in Washington State?
Just don't register your vehicle here in the Seattle area, they about tax you to death. It's not as bad as it once was though. Then again if you live in the seattle area they have laws against that. Can you believe that I came across payments for tabs for 1100 dollars from the previous owner.

If he is moving here, he has to register it here. Do not advocate breaking laws by suggesting he not register his rig where he lives.... just asking for trouble. Visiting is one thing... residence is another.

Yeahm the tabs used to be much higher. Idiots like Time Eyeman have lowered the tab costs, but have ended up costing the state way more in revenue to fix roads etc..... Pay less, get less. No other way about it. Unless we can all of the democrats and their trailer trash welfare programs. Up to the voters. Good luck there, the Dems wanna count the dead people votes too.......

Glenn said:
If he is moving here, he has to register it here. Do not advocate breaking laws by suggesting he not register his rig where he lives.... just asking for trouble. Visiting is one thing... residence is another.

Yeahm the tabs used to be much higher. Idiots like Time Eyeman have lowered the tab costs, but have ended up costing the state way more in revenue to fix roads etc..... Pay less, get less. No other way about it. Unless we can all of the democrats and their trailer trash welfare programs. Up to the voters. Good luck there, the Dems wanna count the dead people votes too.......

I was just telling him that it would be more expensive to have it registered here in seattle, because of the tax for light rail and monorail.
Dude your not making much since at the moment. Lets leave poltical parties alone at the moment. If we pay less in taxes like you said less money will be going into the gov't. Which the republicans are all about, paying less in taxes. So shouldnt you be going with the dems here? Raising taxes to help the less fourtnate and pay for roads and other things.
Neither one of us need to jack his post here. I was mainly asking what is up with his rig, to why it may be deemed illegal. It is up to him to break the law or not, I was just telling him the tax situation out here.
If you dont like me fine, but you dont need to jack a post just becuase you hate me.

Huh? You take discussion about taxes in to me not liking you? Did I accidently fall back in to a high school hallway? This is not about *YOU*.

Where he relocates dictates what he pays, if he is a resident. No ands ifs or butts. Pay to play. If he moved to downtown Seattle, he must pay those taxes. His location would be on his registration, license, etc... Sure, he could try to fake it.... but that is nothing we advocate here at NAXJA. If he does his research, he will find where it is affordable to live and tax wise within his budget.

Sooo.... there ya go. As I originaly posted:
"Depends on the County/Location, as well as what is considered "Seattle Area"."

Until we hear more from him, it does not matter.
Z22_Z33 said:
I was just telling him that it would be more expensive to have it registered here in seattle, because of the tax for light rail and monorail.
Dude your not making much since at the moment. Lets leave poltical parties alone at the moment. If we pay less in taxes like you said less money will be going into the gov't. Which the republicans are all about, paying less in taxes. So shouldnt you be going with the dems here? Raising taxes to help the less fourtnate and pay for roads and other things.
Neither one of us need to jack his post here. I was mainly asking what is up with his rig, to why it may be deemed illegal. It is up to him to break the law or not, I was just telling him the tax situation out here.
If you dont like me fine, but you dont need to jack a post just becuase you hate me.

Crap guys I wasn't trying to start a war just get some info.
Anyway, I could probably register it at my parents house, cause that is where it is staying, or give it to my dad if needed. I am an attorney so I can't do anything illegal :laugh3:

As far as my concerns about legal stuff now. Lets see, no cat, no fender flares, 7-8 inch lift thats the major ones. The cat is not a big deal to splice one in.

Now what if it is for off-road use only? Does it still have to be registered?

Wa state laws are fairly reasoble, pretty much if you have mudflaps and some sort of flare you ok, I am flapless on beadlocked 35" with about 7" of lift and typically caked in mud and I haven't been pulled over.

parents lived in the Ville long? ( I grew up there)

They just moved there from a year ago from CA, but my dad grew up in seattle. I moved to the south about 10 years ago, now my wife may have a job there, kinda weird how that worked out.

I am probably going to try to sell it out here as I think the cost of living adjustment is going to kill my 4 wheeling budget, but if I can't get what I want for it, it's coming with me.

Glenn said:
Huh? You take discussion about taxes in to me not liking you? Did I accidently fall back in to a high school hallway? This is not about *YOU*.

Where he relocates dictates what he pays, if he is a resident. No ands ifs or butts. Pay to play. If he moved to downtown Seattle, he must pay those taxes. His location would be on his registration, license, etc... Sure, he could try to fake it.... but that is nothing we advocate here at NAXJA. If he does his research, he will find where it is affordable to live and tax wise within his budget.

Sooo.... there ya go. As I originaly posted:
"Depends on the County/Location, as well as what is considered "Seattle Area"."

Until we hear more from him, it does not matter.

Then why may I ask are you talking to me? You could just ignore the post.
This post and others that you were talking directly to me and either bad mouthing me or saying how I am wrong, draws me to my conclusion.
Just leave me alone dude, you don’t need to comment on every little thing I say. At the moment yes I am commenting on what you said, but only in response to what you first said to me or about me.

Before my post about the tax issue with Seattle he already said where he was staying, Woodinville. So me saying that after knowing where he's going does in no way advocate him breaking the law. I also stated that Seattle has laws about that, so I suggested he not do it. I'm sure he's a big boy and doesn’t need you looking out for him cause of what I say. Why do the 2 of us feel the need to jack his post, like I said lets get back to the point of this post.
(Sometimes breaking the law is the most patriotic thing one can do.)

You need a cat; your rig needs to pass emissions. What’s interesting if at first your rig fails, you spend a lot of money to fix it and fails again, as long as you have the payments for repairs they'll pass you.
You'll need fender flares I believe, if the tires go out past the body you might get a ticket. You'll also get ticketed if you have no mud flaps. Depending on the officer’s mood and what you were doing before you were pulled over. If it’s never on the road you won’t have to worry about a thing. That includes being parked on the street. So either keep it on a trailer or in a garage.
I'm not sure if you know, but out here in Washington its law to have insurance, so you'll need that. One problem though, if an insurance company sees your rig they will not insure it.
You can get a ticket for modifying your car in anyway. Most officers of the law, probably won’t care about that, unless you piss him or her off.

Brent 88XJ said:
I am probably going to try to sell it out here as I think the cost of living adjustment is going to kill my 4 wheeling budget, but if I can't get what I want for it, it's coming with me.

About the cost of living out here, our minimum wage is higher, so that may be why its higher. 7.35 as opposed to the federal wage of 5.15. Washington voters voted into law back in 98 that our minimum wage changes every January based on the federal standard of living. So hopefully no worries there.

I live out in Yelm. Thurston County. No emissions here. Tabs cost me $33.??. $66.?? with personalized plates. Depends more on the county you live in, vs. the city. Yes, you will have to go through a WSP Inspection (VIN check). For the couple years I lived in Seattle (King County), my cars were registered at my parents place in Thurston County. I believe Pierce County also has emission issues.

Back