• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

moving to the seattle area, keep it or sell and get another later?

ElectricSnake

NAXJA Forum User
Whats up PNW people,
Im getting ready to relocate from the Central Coast of California to the seattle area. I got offered a job working for an injection moling shop, and decided to take it, since, for whatever reason, everyone where i currently live decided that 1 bedroom apartments should rent for around $1300 a month, wheeling is pretty much non existant here, and if i have to listen to one more dude talk to me about his F350 with the tribal paint scheme down the side of it and his 10 inch lift, I will throw myself from the balcony of one of the 3 bars in my town.

I am making my move on next sunday, in my toyota corolla. I also own and beat a 94 2dr 5spd 4.0 XJ, and im concerned about bringing it up there. I have a couple questions that i hope you guys can help me with.
What is going to be expected of my XJ to get it registered? Im not worried about emmissions, CA is the most strict on that of anywhere so i think anything like that would be fine. Im worried about things like Bumpers, the fact that my fenders are fairly non existant, the crack in my windshield, and fees getting it reg'd up there.

Another option is this: I have a friend who is waving $3000 cash at me on a nightly basis for this rig. Im considering selling it and attempting to pick up a comparable XJ for roughly the same price. Whats the market like up there for trail ready XJ's? Ive done a little bit of looking on Craigs list and have seen a couple interesting rigs, but I wanted a little advce on the vehicle market up there before i decide on anything.

Anyone else living in a fairly urbane area up there with any insight on owning a trail rig in a fairly densely populated area?

I'd apreciate any feedback on this.

As it sits:
wtf079sml.jpg

As it does stuff instead of sitting.

191275088_634779657_0.jpg

Personally I would take the $3k your buddy is trying to give you for it, move up to seattle only having to deal with one vehicle, then buy one up here.

There are always a ton of them for sale, only problem may be finding another 5spd 2 door.

FWIW, I would be willing to bet that it would pass with flying colors if you threw some stock flares back on for the inspection. As far as living in an urban area, I live in a fairly small city so I mostly get left alone when I do drive my Cherokee. I do know we have alot of members in the seattle/portland area who drive rigs daily that are not nearly as "street legal" as yours appears. Welcome to the NW
-Ryan

Bring it on up and let's go wheeling. Not much sand to jump around in here, though. :D

ElectricSnake said:
I got offered a job working for an injection moling shop

which one?

Instead of getting divorced, we just move to another state....Leave her behind fellas! NOT

Take the bitch with you! Your jeep of course. NEVER speak of your wife like that...

Another damned Californian. SHAT!! You better learn how to drive pretty damned quick. All your asshat brethren haven't figured it out. Our prices aren't too much better up here.

If you keep it, be prepared to spend $$ in putting protection on it. There's trees in them hills.

mud1059 said:
Another damned Californian. SHAT!! You better learn how to drive pretty damned quick. All your asshat brethren haven't figured it out. Our prices aren't too much better up here.
:clapping:

x2

Getting out of calihomo at least, I'll give him that.

bring the jeep, it'll cost ya about 120 bucks to get it registered, mebbe a lil less. and you wont even get inspected, just go to the local DOL office w/ a copy of the registration, your title, and a new addy, and they'll hook ya up. welcome to the NW. and btw...it took me forever to find a 2dr up here, but i gots my Heap now:) (this is despite the fact he hates me and refuses to remain fixed for any length of time)

mud1059 said:
Another damned Californian. SHAT!! You better learn how to drive pretty damned quick.

Asking a Californian to learn to drive is like asking a guy with no arms to play the guitar, just ain't gonna happen.

...That's right, straight thru Oregon and on up to Seattle!

WheelinJR said:
Can't argue that, still trying to figure out why I live here...
no sales tax?

mud1059 said:

If you keep it, be prepared to spend $$ in putting protection on it. There's trees in them hills.

Go back to the country you hillbilly! Cali drivers are polite and drive like 80 mph bumper to bumper without a scratch!
Take a lesson!:hang: myself, :flame: away!
Come up and wheel the hell out of that thing. You will have damage but after the initiall title transfer your registration is cheap if you live outa Seattle downtown.

88xjlover said:
Cali drivers are polite and drive like 80 mph bumper to bumper without a scratch!

I don't know about the polite part, but I agree with the rest. They seem to be efficient and speedy when traffic is flowing down in Orange county.

-Jeremy#1

Back