• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mopar roller 318

HodgePodge

NAXJA Member #987
Well I was talking to a buddy about my stroker buildup in my trail jeep when he took me into the corner of the garage and happened to point at motor and said "get it out of my garage" :clap: Upon further discussion it is a 318 with roller lifters, It already has the rear sump pan in it, and needs a new intake, carb, ignition and fluids to be running.

It seems to be sort of a crime to convert my FI 4.0l to a carbed 5.2l. So I'm looking into converting it over to MPFI.

Here are the issues/obstacles I have identified:

1. Newer Magnum "keg" style intake manifold has different mounting holes than older TBI/CARB intake requiring newer style Magnum heads.

2. Newer style magnum head has swirl ported heads for better flow and more power, and I believe bigger valves. (Looks like an advantage)

3. Newer style magnum heads don't have oil passages to lubricate the valve train like the older style 318 head. Newer heads are oiled through the pushrods, possibly requiring new lifters, but definitely new pushrods.

4. Gonna have to buy the wiring harness and ECM or will I?... Current plan is to use the MegaSquirt EFI Computer To handle the firing of the injectors, and I get my very own tuneable Fuel system.:repair:

All the issues with drivetrain are already addressed, simply get an NV4500 out of a dodge truck and bolt it on.

So my question is, am I missing anything? And does anyone have the Desktop Dyno 2000 stock 318 head flow files or some flow numbers so I can make my own.

Thanks,
hodge

Try these flow numbers for size. They're for the stock 5.2/5.9 heads (28inH2O flow):

Intake:
Lift: --0.1--0.2--0.3--0.4--0.5
Flow: 59--119--165--203--205

Exhaust:
Lift: --0.1--0.2--0.3--0.4--0.5
Flow: 54--106--143--165--174

As you can see, the exhaust port flow is approaching 85% of the intakes so if you plan to port the heads, devote more time to opening up the intakes to make them flow better.

Well, looks like I aquired a magnum block now, just have to go pick it up. Working on ironing out the wiring diagrams right now. What are the opinions on coils and aftermarket ignitions like the MSD and Jacobs Boxes? Going with HEI module for now. $30 can't go wrong :)

I'm looking at the High vibration MSD Coil.. Or is it just a gimic?

Also last who know alternators, I'm thinking of doing a Delco one-wire but not familiar with wiring up alternator that much. One-wire looks to be a good simple solution except I have heard they don't turn on until reved upto 1200 rpm. Not really a problem but could get annoying.

More fun stuff to talk to myself about

So Jeremy, you beat me to the small block conversion eh? That will be wicked. What are you doing for axles? (Not trying to jack the thread)

Howdy gump. Yea I'm gonna do the small block. Was going to stroke my 4.0l but its cheeper to do the v8, have to replace the Peugeot and d35 so figured I would just get it done. Well the overall plan is to try and build up one of those fancy front HP D44, and probably a matching 44 rear. Would like a d60, but just think it would be a big bulldozer back there.

I drive like a grandma anyways I don't think it will be too much of a problem.:gag:

I'm documenting the crap out of it, I'll share my notes with you sometime if you would like. Basically stripping the complete wiring harness out of the jeep, and hacking away except blinkers and headlights. Radio stays too of course! :)

This way I get to get rid of the 800 miles of wiring under the hood, and do the fancy relayed headlamp trick.

I'm hung-up on the alternators, was looking at some GM one-wires but heard people have issues with them, and they don't get excited until 1200 RPM. Thats a bit of a problem since most the driving is just putting around.

You have any insight?

Don't think i'm gonna get one of those blingy aftermarket ignitions, too expensive to replace if I have issues. Better to have teh $30 HEI module that I can pickup at most any parts stores for cheep.

Thats enough typing..
Later,
Hodge

Heck yeah, any notes you scribble will be read by me! As far as alternators, I guess I would stick with what came attached to the 318. No bracketry to fab, and unless you're gonna run a buttload of accessories (10 spot lights, a winch, on-board welder etc) I would think the stock 318 unit would do just fine.

:paperwork Oh there is notes, I bought a nice notepad for the project and a couple pens just for it.

yea.. thats the problem I don't have any brackets.. So I'm lookign for suggestions, if there is an improvement to the stock design i want to implement it.

Onboard welder you say...
icon4.gif

Back