• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modified Jeep and Emissions warranty work

Gold Cobra

NAXJA Forum User
My catalytic converters on my 06 LJ were clogged causing a loss of power. Thinking it may be covered under federal emissions warranty, I brought it in to McCord Dodge Jeep. They said the part was covered, but because I have an aftermarket crossmember, labor isn't covered and will run me $350 or more. (RE long-arm)

I've read everything I could find on the subject and can't find anything that agrees with what they're telling me. Both the EPA federal warranty document and Chryslers warranty information state that I cannot be charged for diagnosis, parts, or labor involved.

Is what they're telling me correct?

I am 99.9% sure that labor is only free if everything is OEM i.e., unmodified. The aftermarket cross member and anything else you have changed under there will not be covered.

I have never had a warranty claim so I do not speak at the expert level. Someone who have had similar experience will chime in.

Yeah, that is pretty much standard policy for modified vehicles. I would say talk to the service manager and try to negotiate with them on the extra labor required to drop the crossmember.

Yeah, that is pretty much standard policy for modified vehicles. I would say talk to the service manager and try to negotiate with them on the extra labor required to drop the crossmember.

Correct--when you modified the vehicle you assumed responsibility for that part of the work.

HOWEVER, whatever the total time labor charge is YOUR BILL SHOULD BE REDUCED by the warranty time to do the job--you are entitled to that.

AND, if you sweet talk the service manager, see if he will do the job at the WARRANTY REIMBURSEMENT RATE that the dealership gets from Chrysler. If he won't, then tell him you want to schedule a meeting with the Regional Factory rep from Chrysler. If he won't do it, contact Chrysler direct.

PS--be calm, cool, polite, and respectful, but be firm. Yelling, cussing, and making editorial comments about anyone's ancestors will get you nowhere.

Back