• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Misfiring, where to buy injectors?

Taking the relay out of the fan circuit isn't a great idea. It is always best to have as little load on a switch as possible. Let the relay do it's job of switching the current. If you want to be able to turn the fan on manually with a switch, wire it to the coil side of the fan relay. This way the fan will run when you want it to and also when the computer tells it to, the best of both worlds. Plus you retain the OE power circuit to the fan which is correctly wired and protected from the factory.

B

That's the normal switch setup that alot of people run but I need the delay timer rigged in there too so it stays on for a minute or two after shutdown, blowing as much hot air out of the bay as possible. By the way, what is the "coil side of the relay"? Is that a separate wire? (sorry, trying to learn this stuff)

Thanks for that info on the plugs. I ran champions since I bought it and then switched to NGK's cuz everyone said they help (like u said lol) and it was in the TSB but there's no change and it's still misfired like usual (come to think of it, maybe a little more than usual).....unless i leave the hood open lol. Is there a law that says I must have a hood on the rig to drive it? i'm about to take the damn thing off and toss it in the garbage for a simple 5 minute fix. :yelclap:

Last edited:
That's the normal switch setup that alot of people run but I need the delay timer rigged in there too so it stays on for a minute or two after shutdown, blowing as much hot air out of the bay as possible. By the way, what is the "coil side of the relay"? Is that a separate wire? (sorry, trying to learn this stuff)

A relay works by current passing through a coil of wire. That current produces a magnet that pulls a contact closed (in the case of a normally open contact). This allows you to have a device that can act as basically a switch.

You may ask, why not just use a switch, which is a good question. There are two reasons really. One is that for a switch to pass the current a relay does the contacts inside of the switch would have to be the same size as the contacts in the relay. If you look at the size of even a small relay they are fairly large. Two, and more important actually is that the relay is very easy to service. If the contacts or coil fail it is just a matter of pulling it out and pushing in a new one. Replacing the switch can be much more work.

So in your case you need to identify which wires go to the coil of the fan relay. The schematics for the Jeep will call them out by color. Usually X with a Y stripe etc. Depending how they do it they will either supply the relay coil with +12V and switch the ground to complete the circuit and thusly switch the relay on. Or they will have one side of the coil grounded at all times and supply +12V to complete the circuit and turn on the relay.

If you give me the year of the Jeep you have I could help you with that though it may take me a day or two to dig up the schematics.

B

Maybe it running on 5 cylinders caused it not to break on rockface Bob! :D

Staying as far away from Rockface as possible is what caused it not to break on Rockface! At least this year.

I think last time I was on rock face is when I broke the R+P, an axleshaft, and blew out the t-case on my way home! I think even two cylinders could do it for me on Rockface! :)

B

Back