• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Milton's Other Jeep Build

After regrouping we hit some good trails:

IMG809.jpg

IMG825.jpg

IMG813.jpg

IMG814.jpg

IMG815.jpg

Look who rejoined us:
IMG816.jpg

IMG817.jpg

IMG818.jpg

IMG819.jpg

IMG820.jpg

Good times today were had by all! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Haven't posted here in a long time. Not much going on build wise lately.

Last week I scored a pair of TnT unistiffeners that I need to get installed.

Been wheelin it out on the trails. Went just this weekend and my brother got behind the wheel for most the day while I rode shotgun, spotted, and snapped some pics.

Trails were muddy and slick - first part of the day brought the carnage -

Spent the other day on the interior with a wirewheel and heavy grit sanding wheel and the grinder.
Like I said before - the driverside floor is the area that has the cancer. There are some minimal spots elsewhere but under the rear, outboard base of the driver seat is the worst. Area under the pedals came fairly clean.

I wanted to at least clean it up and get something on the floor in the driver side so after cleaning it up and scuffing it good I laid down some Krylon primer:

Then sprayed it with some flat black enamel:

This will need a more aggressive approach eventually:

from directly underneath:

For now this is how it sits in the garage:

The other day I was able to get together with a guy from my club who happens to have a template of the rear glass. Hopefully in the next few days I'll get my rear fake window put in.

For my fake rear glass I used this:

and this:

When cutting the polycarbonate I used a jigsaw and laminate (20 tpi) blade. It is nearly a must to have a large enough flat work space to put the sheet on and clamp the edges - otherwise the plastic will bounce and crack. Also - have a spray bottle with water on hand and spray the blade/plastic interface as you cut. Otherwise the polycarbonate will melt/fuse back together at the trail edge of the blade as you go. It is not a fast process cutting this stuff.
This is where I left off last night:

Just to "polish up" the look I'll tape off the outer edge of the poly and give it a finished primer&topcoat of something.

Yesterday morning I finished up the fake glass.

Started w/ this :

Ended with this :

Not bad! :thumbsup: I like it.
It's all about perspective though:

Works for me!
I also went ahead and pulled the wiper motor out and buttoned up the hole with a couple washers and bolt and rtv:

Got the stiffeners burned on, primed and top coated this past Saturday. It is quite a project and I'm glad I did the majority of the prep a few days prior.
I failed to get any pics of the process but in a nutshell: put the rig on jackstands f/r and get the wheels off and outtta the way; the more hands the better (we had 4 of us getting in on the install); the more jacks the better; at least 1 large c-clamp; button/rosette welds are your friend.

First my bro tacked in starting at the front and used a bfh (manipulator he called it) to "cinch up" the stiffener to the unirail as he worked his way down. Then did 1" diameter rosette welds every 8" (drilling those out with a 18v cordless and stepbit - went through some batteries); capped off the front and rear ends; welded up the seams where the bends are; 1.5-2" stitch welds on the inboard lip of the uni/stiffener - alternating with the rosettes on the opposite side.
I also caulked in some paintable silicone around the entire welded assembly anywhere that wasn't "sealed."
As I said - it is a long, messy, steely process and it didn't occur to me to pull out the cell camera during - but I did snap some while I finished up.
3 coats of primer:

Finished with 3 coats semi-flat enamel:

Overall, aside from installing the Aussie in the rear diff - these were the funnest project to tackle on the XJ - good times. :highfive:

Back