• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

May-June Photo Assignment...Overland.

My "new" Jeep is a bargain compared with living the OJ lifestyle...
4659778961_d07888fb08_b.jpg

Touche! :D

My "new" Jeep is a bargain compared with living the OJ lifestyle...

Touche! :D

I bet I'm not into it as much as you think.

And say what you want. I love the fact that I can set up pretty much on any terrain, anywhere and still be comfortable. Yeah it would be nice to be able to sleep in the back of the Jeep with my wife but with two kids and a horse for a dog, it just isn't possible. You would be surprised how much room that dog takes up in the back.

4660561052_19f04b9c1e.jpg

You have the advantage of having the whole rear cargo area to put a weekend (or a weeks) worth of gear. I simply don't if I want my family to go with me. I have my fridge and under the dog is a few random tools and soft foods (breads and such) It leaves me no room for anything else. A trailer was my only option. Honestly even if I had a regular ground tent, I would be in the same boat.

Over a lot of land.

Drive+up+Santago+Peak+-+01.jpg

Sometimes fire runs over land as well.

Burn+Recovery+2.jpg

Honorable mention, looking down at the road I'm on (yes, that lower portion is paved).
Looking+at+Santiago+Canyon+Road.jpg

Last edited:
Ryan- is the trailer working out better than taking 2 Jeeps?

Yup. I get to visit with my wife. I like having her ride with me. The trailer handles anything I can throw at it off road and its way easier to set the tent up.

Although we haven't done this yet it will be nice on the trips where we base camp in the same spot. I can leave it all set up and just take the jeep out on the trails. Trying to get the tent up and down on the roof of the Jeep every morning was kind of a pain.

It is a WK cabin air filter that also happens to fit a WJ.
orig.jpg

After all of these years of wheeling would you believe I don't really enjoy breathing dust out of my a/c vents? :D That filter is one of the things that swayed me towards a Grand. If someone came up with a way to do that to an XJ I'll bet they will have good business! I considered taping a vacuum cleaner bag over the cowl vent but never tried it.

Ryan, he is getting a Chaser. It will cost as much as my entire Jeep. And he will still be sleeping in a tent. :(

It is a WK cabin air filter that also happens to fit a WJ.
orig.jpg

After all of these years of wheeling would you believe I don't really enjoy breathing dust out of my a/c vents? :D That filter is one of the things that swayed me towards a Grand. If someone came up with a way to do that to an XJ I'll bet they will have good business! I considered taping a vacuum cleaner bag over the cowl vent but never tried it.

Ryan, he is getting a Chaser. It will cost as much as my entire Jeep. And he will still be sleeping in a tent. :(

How often do you project having to replace it?

LOL. I've decided that a tent off the ground (or the back of a jeep) is the only way to go. I'll never worry about rocks, snakes or water again.
My whole purpose of jeeping is to sleep on a rock, you don't know what you are missing! :)
orig.jpg

But when the weather is bad I don't want to sleep in a tent. I have a singlewall Bibler tent with 5 triangulated poles that go inside, it is very aerodynamic and utterly bombproof. It still bounces around too much for peaceful sleep, especially in the 40mph winds we had on our last 2 trips. We both slept like logs inside the jeep on 3 inch Thermarest pads. Being short helps. :D
How often do you project having to replace it?
It's about the same size as the engine air filter with considerably less air going through it. To be honest, I don't know! A new filter element is 23 bucks. If I have change it once a year it will be worth the minimal time, money and effort spent.

It's about the same size as the engine air filter with considerably less air going through it. To be honest, I don't know! A new filter element is 23 bucks. If I have change it once a year it will be worth the minimal time, money and effort spent.

I've been thinking of trying to figure a filter out for my 1996 XJ to keep the dust out. Although first I'll have to replace every damn bit of weatherstripping in it. I was appalled the first time I got that thing on the freeway, my old 1989 Jeep leaks less air than that very clean relatively low milage 1996! I kept checking to make sure doors were actually closed ;)

I've been thinking of trying to figure a filter out for my 1996 XJ to keep the dust out. Although first I'll have to replace every damn bit of weatherstripping in it. I was appalled the first time I got that thing on the freeway, my old 1989 Jeep leaks less air than that very clean relatively low milage 1996! I kept checking to make sure doors were actually closed ;)
My 96 blows a nice breeze on my left elbow from the back of the door at highway speeds...maybe it's a case of faulty weatherstripping on 96's.

EDIT: Dang it, I took that pic at the end of April, not in May like I thought.

Last edited:
Back