• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mark my words....

I like Australia a lot but truth be told I would probably go back to my roots in Europe....... Scotland or Denmark. But then again who knows what the future holds..... :dunno:

This place is quickly turning into thumpertalk.com town square.

What a waste.

You're only wrong in saying that its "quickly turning into"- its been this way for a while, and yet these guys can't seem to figure out why they have trouble finding and keeping new members. A bunch of bitter old white men use this forum as a political mouthpiece, ruining it for anyone else who wants to come here and talk jeeping and wheeling and not be attacked for thinking differently.

:roflmao: this cracker will do his best to bite his tongue from now on, and make sure the club I've been participating in for a decade doesn't offend any noobs. That, or you could exercise your free will, while you've got it, and not read or participate in threads that don't suit your fancy. Just saying. And I don't recall any attacks, merely exchanges of ideas and opinions . Lighten up Francis.

I was wondering what happened to you.
fallacist said:
A bunch of bitter old white men use this forum as a political mouthpiece, ruining it for anyone else who wants to come here and talk jeeping and wheeling and not be attacked for thinking differently.
There are a few who hang around to be a social irritant. :)

You're only wrong in saying that its "quickly turning into"- its been this way for a while, and yet these guys can't seem to figure out why they have trouble finding and keeping new members. A bunch of bitter old white men use this forum as a political mouthpiece, ruining it for anyone else who wants to come here and talk jeeping and wheeling and not be attacked for thinking differently.

This ole cracker believes in the right to speak freely where and when he wants to! You have the same rights and you also have the right to go somewhere else and think differently. If you dont like what is being said here then click you tender foot somewhere else! This place is first and foremost a place to talk Jeeps but is also a place to have whatever discussions among friends that cross ones mind. You are not my friend and from the sound of your thinking differently, you will not become one. :conceited

Youve earned my vote for the most ignorant post of the year.......but its only Day 4.

i tend not to comment much on politics but i disagree with those that say the problem comes from "the current guy in office"..
this train we are all riding on hasnt had a real driver since Casey Jones fell off. there has been a regular stream of guys sitting in the front holding a set of keys, but we all know his steering wheel has the same amount of control that the plastic one on my daughter's car seat has.
i served my country for several years, signed on when i was 18. i loved the job, but i learned that i didnt like the company i worked for thru the Clinton / Gingrich era..
we as a society have been on this down-hill run for decades and we have all seen it coming. there are great people in politics, but they lose that greatness when the desire to hold the office eclipses the desire to hold on to their personal ideals. the popularity game is won by the guy with the most friends backing him along the party lines. anyone who believes that campaign promises hold any water is a fool.
politicians don't lie, they say what the most people want to hear.. thats how you keep the job.
we are stuck on this train, unless we can face the fact that a full-scale revolution is the only way to make significant changes. and that is a VERY dirty job that nobody wants to be responsible for.
and if we burn it all down, the strongest leaders would rise from the ashes just like always. who is to say the new leadership would really be "better" ??
Fidel Castro rose from the ashes of cuba.....
we're a country of ******s..... we would never give up our IPhones, fast food and personal financial stability in the interest of making a positive change for our children's children...... we would be afraid of the reality of our own "summer" like the middle east has been experiencing in the last few years...
it's the "common folk" that will make the difference as we head into the future.. teach your children to think for themselves, take them in the woods, teach them practical $hit like how to start a fire without matches. say NO to the complacency that we let the world of the XBox teach them... because THEY will be the politicians that will be in place when the shit finally hits the fan...

oooh, I like this guy. Even if he's a grumpy old white guy like me... :thumbup:

OK. How about:

Resolved. Voting shall be limited to Citizens that have performed Military Service. Those unwilling to put themselves in harms way to defend the country shall be prohibited from running said country.

how about militia, actually defending oneself and one's neighbors, instead of military, engaged in intervention across the globe? I would gladly defend my neighbors from actual aggressors, but preparing the world for the democracy of the american empire is not my speed.

For me, however, the point is moot -- I have withdrawn my consent from this corrupt regime (not the current occupant alone, as striptide eloquently points out above), and therefore I withhold my vote -- to vote would be to consent to a corrupt process, and thereby consent in its result. I am a strong believer in the Jeffersonian concept that just government only governs with the consent of the governed... I thus far continue to vote in local matters, though my faith in that process too is often in doubt. Recent recalls have helped to restore it, at least a little bit.

I completely understand your point sir but, I would care to differ inasmuch as by withholding your vote you give up any chance at removing the most corrupt of the rascals.

It is a matter of degree.

Militia. IMO, the National Guard is the Militia and would definitely count.

As for the type of Militia that most folk consider to be valid, they are, again IMO, extra legal entities that exist primarily to promote an agenda not held as desirable by the majority of Americans.

The only practical method to change any system is from within the system. As a rule, voices on the outside are ignored.

Take my War, Vietnam. The protesters that were nearly everywhere did not stop the US involvement. President Nixon (for whom I voted as being the lesser evil) stopped it.

Which brings up another point to toss around. The American economy is at it's best when there is a limited amount of hostilities being conducted overseas. Look at the state of the US economy during the 60s.

Post Vietnam, the economy started to fall. Then, the oil embargo basically stopped it it's tracks. I remember sitting in line to purchase fuel. Even number license plated cars could buy fuel on even numbered days. Odd numbered, well you get the idea.

4 cylinder cars were limited to 5 gallon purchases whereas 6 and 8 cylinder cars could get 10 gallons.

To expound on striptide's point, and in argument to yours -- did the founders work within the system, or did they, in Jefferson's words, after "a long train of abuses and usurptions" work outside the system to abolish a government to which they did not consent?

Your faith in the system is greater than mine -- I believe we have the illusion of a democratic republic, and that in fact there is no system for the common man to work within.

To be clear, what I believe is necessary is an intellectual revolution -- I am in no way calling men to arms, but rather believe that when enough americans withdraw their consent and exercise civil disobedience against unjust government, eventually the power will flow back to the people and the system might work as you suggest -- OR, the system will stamp their boot on the face of the people instead, ala Orwell.

Democracy, by design, squelches the voice of the individual. That's why our founders created a Constitutional Republic.

I agree that there needs to be a revolution, one that springs from the original intent of our founders, for the common man to have his voice heard and his will be done by the leaders who are elected to represent him.

We have allowed our elected to create a ruling class, with special rights and priveledges and also allowed them to stay in power, where their sole goal is to promote their own self-interests, fueled by pride, greed and allowed to perptuate through the lack of accountability.

They should be expected to be men/women of integrity and held accountable for such; not the dressed up, higher paid versions of street thugs, slum lords and loan sharks that the majority of our elected officials emulate.

I support an intellectual revolution, based on the fundamental principles of our Constitution, where we view all men as equal and hold all to the same level of accountabililty.

i certainly dont think a military action would be remotely reasonable, nor successful.
i too have withheld my vote from all but some local issues, because the idea that i have to vote for the guy i hate the least is simply horrifying...
if there were a way to get the voters of the united states to register in record numbers but refuse to turn out on election day as a sign of protest to the corruption of the system, i dont think we could send a stronger message....
because the guy with the biggest campaign fund takes the cake, not the guy with the best ideas....
it would take years to change the mind-set of the multiple generations that simply vote the party lines because their family has always done so, and it's easier than taking the responsibility to educate yourself on the issues and candidates.

pass laws restricting campaign contributions from insurance, tobacco, and health care companies and see how fast things change... but the guys who would write the bill would be biting the hand that put them in office... catch-22..... nobody in office can or will make the changes that are needed, but the people willing to do so are not able to attain that office.
sometimes i think a monarchy would have been the way to go, at least we would know who to blame and it's easier to take 1 person to task than a huge conglomeration of finger-pointing lawyers concerned about keeping their jobs thru the next election.

we'll see what kind of motivator for the masses the coming monetary crisis will be -- our corrupt government has managed to destroy the very means of exchange, and the effect on everyone but the uber-rich is going to be ugly. I hope that our government, when faced with fiscal collapse, will do the responsible thing and simply step aside as was the case when the soviet economy collapsed. But I fear that will not be the reaction.

will you buy a t-shirt if we make it so? I have plenty of friends who think differently than I, but for the most part, they manage not to make asses of themselves.

i too have withheld my vote from all but some local issues, because the idea that i have to vote for the guy i hate the least is simply horrifying...
if there were a way to get the voters of the united states to register in record numbers but refuse to turn out on election day as a sign of protest to the corruption of the system, i dont think we could send a stronger message....
because the guy with the biggest campaign fund takes the cake, not the guy with the best ideas....
it would take years to change the mind-set of the multiple generations that simply vote the party lines because their family has always done so, and it's easier than taking the responsibility to educate yourself on the issues and candidates.

pass laws restricting campaign contributions from insurance, tobacco, and health care companies and see how fast things change... but the guys who would write the bill would be biting the hand that put them in office... catch-22..... nobody in office can or will make the changes that are needed, but the people willing to do so are not able to attain that office.
sometimes i think a monarchy would have been the way to go, at least we would know who to blame and it's easier to take 1 person to task than a huge conglomeration of finger-pointing lawyers concerned about keeping their jobs thru the next election.

This Country has never been a "Free" country from a money standpoint. You know the "Golden Rule". Those that have the Gold make the Rules.

In spite of this, we have one of the least corrupt political systems in the world. I do agree with limiting campaign funds, and not allowing Corporations ANY say in the Political process. Corporations are not People, they are economic entities and should never have any rights in the Political System.

O-Guage, Allowing only those with Military Service to be involved would be against the Constitution. Besides, simply examining the Political record of those who served, and were elected as President says it all. It's either the "Peter Principle" at work, or the systems are so dissimilar to make it a good fit.

IMO - Our current set of troubles started in the 70's when an effort was made to make Government more accessible to the "Common Man" (or Woman). It was thought that if everyone had open access that things would be better.

*The simple problem with this is that every single one of us our own personal agenda - some of them quite petty if you take in the whole picture.*
You know the old sayings "There Ought to be a Law" and "Watch what you wish for". People seem to not remember the second adage when it comes to their personal interests. And we have made it very easy to make laws.

Every day it seems there is a new issue. An 'Issue Du Jour' if you will.
You can't keep up, it's impossible unless your job is to be "plugged in" to the system. Even then, you don't get to learn about a Candidate's personal agenda until it's too late.

-Ron

Back