• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

making some changes

It's been a little while since I've had time to work on this... September 1st we welcomed our second son, Fallon David McCrea, and although he is super calm and almost too easy on us (just like his big bro) it's hard to find the time to get out and work on this thing.

so delete the few posts near the start with the rear frame build... after much deliberation (and arm twisting from a buddy) we cut off much of what I did about 1-1.5 years ago.

this is now without a doubt, a trail only, buggy. frame rails are gone from just behind the t-case back, all body is gone from front door frame back, no dash, no windshield, no roof.. it's all gone.

we are keeping the old 2x4 rockers I put in years ago, and all the cage work, 4linking the rear and in the next few weeks I expect delivery of 2 ORI's for the front end, C/O's moving to the rear.
full hydro steering up front is done, 3 link front is done, new rear suspension x-member is done.

the front axle is done, steering is burned in, and after putting a few bends in the trac-bar, it clears everything with atleast 1/2" to spare... and the ORI's will be used as the front bumps to keep everything safe (packaging the air bumps I have were next to impossible up front, moving them to rear too) the ORI's are solving a few packaging issues, and hey they are BLING if nothing else.

onto some pics

how it looks today

20121103_185013.jpg

front end, need a head on view to show it all better, skipped the $80 PSC double shear pieces that thread into the ram, made the arms to be double shear and used heims on the ram... see no reason this won't work just fine.
20120922_1422391.jpg

20120825_132927.jpg

how the interior looks from the back... pretty empty, as if it wasn't before.
20121103_184953.jpg

and how the lowers should look, just mocking/tacking things in place to see how it works, but I don't forsee many problems.

20121104_181643.jpg

20121104_181559.jpg

I know with all the body gone it isn't everyone cup-o-tea, and it took me a bit to get used to it... but I had lost a lot of motivation seeing little progress and no real end in sight.
I now have most of what I need to get it rolling, steering, fueled and soon after started (after more then 2 years) so this transformation has me re-energized and to be honest it should be easier to work on, customize, and be about 400lbs lighter.

Last edited:
are there any steps or collars to keep the hydro cylinder from sliding in the mounts when bound up on a rock?

Nice job man. I like how your tube work has been layed out. I plan to do something similar to yours at the old c pillar location.

all tube work thus far was the imagination of a buddy I had do it. I gave him some "ideas", other then that it was all up to him... I'm rather pleased with it myself tho.

are there any steps or collars to keep the hydro cylinder from sliding in the mounts when bound up on a rock?

no, and that is a concern with only 2 clamps. the way they are laid out they can't really move to the pass side as the inlets sorta act as "steps" but they can push to the driver side in a bind.
I had a line on some tubular clamps (to fit 1.75" tube) and had thought of adding them with a tube "bumper" of sorts to the front of the axle... but they fell through. I do plan on adding atleast one other clamp, thanks for reminding me to add it to the list.

as always, things (as in I) moved slower then expected... but the rear 4 link is in place.

coil overs and ORI's didn't get touched, maybe next time.

with everything together the numbers look like this;

Uppers = 35"
Uppers Frame Sep. = 33"
Uppers Axle Sep. = 4.5"
Lowers = 40"
Lowers Frame Sep. = 20"
Lowers Axle Sep. = 44"
Static AS = 100% OR 85% depending on upper mounts used
Roll Axis Angle = 4* OR 5* oversteer
Pinion movement = 7.25* OR 5*

This is how things look from above, mounts still need to be burned in, and gussets added. Now that the links are in place I can start on a rear frame (2x2 3/16")
20121118_172812.jpg

attached this 1/4" plate onto the 3/16" truss and will also weld the 1/4" to the dif where it touches. Will also tie the truss into the dif cover eventually.
20121118_172847.jpg

I have room for about 8"+ up travel as it sits, but have yet to have it on it's own weight... shooting for 6" up, 8" down.

pass side moving up as far as it can go.
20121118_174257.jpg

driver up, pass side down.
20121118_175641.jpg

very happy with how everything went together, now just have to brace/gusset everything, and build a rear frame so I can attach the coil overs.

Back