• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MAJORLY Cracked Header!!! (pics)

Michaelarchangelo said:
I would have to disagree with that statement.

I did tests with a heat gun on my first XJ, when I thought it might actually help. Looking for a big change, it never happened. guess what all id did was screw up the stock header. the heat gun before and after depending on where it was placed averaged 5* before and after the wrap , while sitting still. moving it would be less, because of more airflow........(6 years ago I did the test)

What test? I hear a heat gun. Did you heat up the outside with a heatgun? I do notice a lot of heat reduction with my ceramic coated header and also when I had the headers wrapped. I did notice a lot of rust with the wrap though. I notice other car forums cold boxing their intake etc. I think if you leave out one area, then thats where the heat will get in. Haven't tried it myself though. But working on it.
Tom

75SV1 said:
What test? I hear a heat gun. Did you heat up the outside with a heatgun? I do notice a lot of heat reduction with my ceramic coated header and also when I had the headers wrapped. I did notice a lot of rust with the wrap though. I notice other car forums cold boxing their intake etc. I think if you leave out one area, then thats where the heat will get in. Haven't tried it myself though. But working on it.
Tom

RAYMT6_TN.JPG

heat gun/ temp gun.

surface temps on the intake only changed a max of 5*

and yes boxing the air intake to true cold air intake will have the biggest benefit

xjnation said:
It just might make 1* difference maybe 2*'s if lucky.

Oh and I live at 7000 Feet, snow everywhere and expecting more

My bad when i think Arizona all i can think of is the blistering heat that i had to endure when i when to FireBird race way, many year a go and couldn't find any place out get out of the heat!:flame: and you live at the same altitude as i do.:twak: :twak: :twak: :D

xjnation said:
why did you wrap it anyway?

For cooler underhood temperatures, it did make a difference in texas heat. It took longer to get to that normal hotness that the xj gets to.

I've learned my lesson though.... :)

Looks like a bad and brittle weld to me. Tape might have affected it but I doubt it. I would call that a manufacturers defect. Sounds like a free replacement to me!!!!

That's definitely, at least partially, caused by the heat wrap. :-X Maybe the wrap adhesive caused the dis-colorization or something? Or did you paint it or?

xjnation said:
discoloration is strictly from the piece being way to hot and then wet.......

the weld did not crack the tube did

No the weld did not crack but it cracked right next to it, or so it looks to me. That could very well be a cold crack formed after welding. If it was super hot then cooled fast enough, getting wet might do it, would have the haz super brittle.

Back